Initial impressions: who 'won' the Blues/Oilers offer sheet saga?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who 'won'?

• Blues for getting the players they wanted

Votes: 157 67.7%
  • Oilers for not paying those players at the cap hits they're signed for plus getting draft picks

Votes: 49 21.1%
  • Penguins for getting a 3rd for a 5th because they had a pick the Blues needed to do the offer sheets

Votes: 78 33.6%

• Total voters

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Oilers lost. I don't know why you would sign Arvidsson and Perry before Broberg and Holloway.

How are you grouping Arvidsson in with Perry?

As much as people complain about our defense the biggest need was a legit 2nd line winger since Kane and Drai don't seem to mix well. Well we went out and got 2 legit wingers for Drai. No more needing to drag the likes of Foegle, Mcleod, and Holloway around.

POVERTY

Leafs and Marchand fan
Sep 27, 2017
Oilers lost. I don't know why you would sign Arvidsson and Perry before Broberg and Holloway.
I'd rather have Arvidsson than either of those guys tbh. I'm not an Edmonton fan but that to me is one of the better off-season pickups by any team.

Of course he'll need to be healthy, which he usually isn't.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I'd rather have Arvidsson than either of those guys tbh. I'm not an Edmonton fan but that to me is one of the better off-season pickups by any team.

Of course he'll need to be healthy, which he usually isn't.
Arvidsson was a good grab, it’s Skinner and Perry people should question

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
The Blues get:
  • A forward with the potential to make it as a 3rd line forward in the NHL.
  • A 3rd pairing d-man with the potential become better, but we've yet to see him do anything to live up to the draft hype.
  • Minus 7.8M cap space
The Oilers get:
  • Enough cap space to get the team under the cap.
  • Codi Ceci is no longer an Oiler (This is a huge win in the eyes of many)
  • A stay at home defenseman in Ty Emberson.
  • An injury-prone middle six forward in Podkilzin
  • Minus 2025 3rd, 2025 4th,
  • Plus Blues 2025 2nd, Blue's 2025 3rd, Plus Blues 2028 3rd

Last edited:

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Call me crazy but I think this is a win-win-win.

The oilers get some trade ammo and cap space they need in the short/med term.

Blues get the players they want in the med/long term.

The pens get an extra pick for having to eat Kevin Hayes’ salary.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Pretty big win for St. Louis imo as they got the Oilers two best young players for a second and third round pick.
The rest of the league also won because a top contender is a bit weaker.
They didn't get the Oilers 2 best young players. They got the Oilers 2 best young prospects. And that is really all they are at this point. Good prospects. I like them both but lets not pretend posters like you have not been saying Broberg is a bust for the last 2 years.

Reactions: PuckG

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
Lost how many players off their roster with no real replacement?
Additions:
Skinner
Arvidsson
Emberson
Savoie
Podkozin
Brown

Subtraction:
McLeod
Foegele
Holloway
Ceci
Broberg
Desharnais
Carrick

Who don't they have a replacement for where it's going to be a significant loss?

It's honestly hilarious how players who were bashed as s*** players while they were in Edmonton are all of a sudden going to be major loses.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Additions:
Skinner
Arvidsson
Emberson
Savoie
Podkozin
Brown

Subtraction:
McLeod
Foegele
Holloway
Ceci
Broberg
Desharnais
Carrick

Who don't they have a replacement for where it's going to be a significant loss?

It's honestly hilarious how players who were bashed as s*** players while they were in Edmonton are all of a sudden going to be major loses.
We are talking about the offer sheet. Don’t tell me about the whole offseason.

They lost two players they would’ve preferred to keep. You are twisting yourself in knots here by saying I’m jealous.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Blues won. Penguins second. All other teams (except the Oilers) third.
Losing two top young players (these two guys were important contributors during the Oilers long playoff run) is difficult to overcome. It’s a young man’s league.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Oilers won. Not overpaying players you know aren’t worth the price tag is just smart management

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
I'd call it a draw. The Blues are paying Broberg far more than he's worth. I fully expect them to miss the playoffs as I don't expect either player to have much of an impact. Edmonton did well not to match but they're still down two players who would have made thier roster.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Oilers lose because the loss of 2 players
Blues lose, with the huge overpay.
No winners.
Oilers lose worse though

Huge overpay, lol.

The have plenty of cap space, and its only a two year contract. The money is nothing, and the picks they gave up for two top Oiler prospects were low value.

Blues won this easily, a terrific move.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Huge overpay, lol.

The have plenty of cap space, and its only a two year contract. The money is nothing, and the picks they gave up for two top Oiler prospects were low value.

Blues won this easily, a terrific move.
of course it was a huge overpay...in a cap system you need value contracts

they literally paid 7 mil for 2 players have a combined 170 games under belt and 31 points between them :laugh:

Jake Neighbours and Toropchenko was gonna ask for 4 mil each minimum next summer now

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
Jake Neighbours and Toropchenko was gonna ask for 4 mil each minimum next summer now
Lol such a bad take. If Neighbours only costs $4 that’s a steal. Toropchenko is worth nothing close to that, Holloway is not a comp for him and Broberg sure as shit isn’t either.

This whole idea from oilers fans that the offer sheets will ruin the Blues cap structure or negatively influence negotiations with our own RFAs is a total fiction. Frankly, it’s cope.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Lol such a bad take. If Neighbours only costs $4 that’s a steal. Toropchenko is worth nothing close to that, Holloway is not a comp for him and Broberg sure as shit isn’t either.

This whole idea from oilers fans that the offer sheets will ruin the Blues cap structure or negatively influence negotiations with our own RFAs is a total fiction. Frankly, it’s cope.
Based on how Broberg and Holloway perform this year in comparison with other Blues players, you don’t believe that those seeking a contract (both on the Blues and on other teams) will use them as comparisons during negotiations?

That’s also cope.

Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
Based on how Broberg and Holloway perform this year in comparison with other Blues players, you don’t believe that those seeking a contract (both on the Blues and on other teams) will use them as comparisons during negotiations?

That’s also cope.
Who on the Blues is a good comp for Broberg or Holloway? Nobody currently. If Neighbours’ agent tried to use Broberg as a comp they’d be laughed out of the meeting. If they used Holloway, the Blues would be ecstatic.

And if, in the future, a Blues prospect reaches a comparable situation, it will be years in the future with a higher cap and better/more recent comps.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Just like most trades I think automatically picking a winner/loser right after it happens is often silly. Like most trades, especially ones involving young players or picks, only time will tell.

The Oilers are worse now than they were a couple weeks ago. I don’t think you can really sugarcoat it. I think matching would of been a worse mistake though. I personally think Broberg was leaving regardless. I don’t think they could of done much to keep him. If they wanted to keep him they probably would of had to move Kulak the offseason before. But guess what, Broberg hasn’t shown he’s better than Kulak and he certainly wasn’t last year or this year. He might be next year or he might not. The Oilers aren’t in a position to find out for 4.6m. Broberg is a very hard player to gauge. I have no idea what his value or his potential is. I personally don’t see how anyone can say with confidence that he will turn into something.

As far as Holloway goes, I think its another loss for the Oilers. I think they could use him in the lineup. But I also don’t think he will break out significantly. There’s lots of similar types of players as him. His value comes from being young and cheap but he starts to lose value when he’s paid likely double what hes shown.

As far as the Blues go. I see a lot of people saying there’s no risk in what they did. They didn’t give up much. I somewhat agree but I also don’t think they maximized their cap space efficiently either. We seen guys like Walman, Laine etc and have seen other guys in past get traded and the receiving team gets picks as well. Also does the offer sheets set precedents on other younger players they need to sign.

I think at the end of the day it depends what Broberg turns into. I really don’t have a clue.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Just like most trades I think automatically picking a winner/loser right after it happens is often silly. Like most trades, especially ones involving young players or picks, only time will tell.

The Oilers are worse now than they were a couple weeks ago. I don’t think you can really sugarcoat it. I think matching would of been a worse mistake though. I personally think Broberg was leaving regardless. I don’t think they could of done much to keep him. If they wanted to keep him they probably would of had to move Kulak the offseason before. But guess what, Broberg hasn’t shown he’s better than Kulak and he certainly wasn’t last year or this year. He might be next year or he might not. The Oilers aren’t in a position to find out for 4.6m. Broberg is a very hard player to gauge. I have no idea what his value or his potential is. I personally don’t see how anyone can say with confidence that he will turn into something.

As far as Holloway goes, I think its another loss for the Oilers. I think they could use him in the lineup. But I also don’t think he will break out significantly. There’s lots of similar types of players as him. His value comes from being young and cheap but he starts to lose value when he’s paid likely double what hes shown.

As far as the Blues go. I see a lot of people saying there’s no risk in what they did. They didn’t give up much. I somewhat agree but I also don’t think they maximized their cap space efficiently either. We seen guys like Walman, Laine etc and have seen other guys in past get traded and the receiving team gets picks as well. Also does the offer sheets set precedents on other younger players they need to sign.

I think at the end of the day it depends what Broberg turns into. I really don’t have a clue.
I agree with almost everything, although I don’t think the Oilers are distinctly worse for next season - although the window may have shortened with the loss of cheap young depth (although the moment they signed the new contracts, that depth is no longer qualified as cheap).

Their forwards likely got better in terms of execution and production at the consequence of some youth, speed and size. The impact of this isn’t likely next year but sometime during McDrai’s second contract. The core that has carried the team for years remains in place.

Their defence lost Broberg, who wasn’t a mainstay anyways - the real loss here is the loss of a defenceman with the potential to replace Ekholm a few years down the line. Ceci was a solid #5 forced to play to high in the line up. Your top 3 defencemen remain the same. Any other gaps are likely filled through the year.

Stu enters his third year as a starting goaltender at a ripe age of 26, having already played in a Cup Final and becoming a NHL starter far sooner than he was expected to due to the Soup fiasco. Growing more consistent and having fewer errors isn’t too much of a stretch for him.

All in all - they should remain quite competitive.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
This is gonna look even worse for EDM if one or both of the players evolve in to a stud.
I REALLY liked what I saw from Broberg in the playoffs. Small sample size but he showed poise and intellect. On top of it he stabilized and more or less carried that bag of shit Nurse when they got paired together

Reactions: elmaco

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I agree with almost everything, although I don’t think the Oilers are distinctly worse for next season - although the window may have shortened with the loss of cheap young depth (although the moment they signed the new contracts, that depth is no longer qualified as cheap).

Their forwards likely got better in terms of execution and production at the consequence of some youth, speed and size. The impact of this isn’t likely next year but sometime during McDrai’s second contract. The core that has carried the team for years remains in place.

Their defence lost Broberg, who wasn’t a mainstay anyways - the real loss here is the loss of a defenceman with the potential to replace Ekholm a few years down the line. Ceci was a solid #5 forced to play to high in the line up. Your top 3 defencemen remain the same. Any other gaps are likely filled through the year.

Stu enters his third year as a starting goaltender at a ripe age of 26, having already played in a Cup Final and becoming a NHL starter far sooner than he was expected to due to the Soup fiasco. Growing more consistent and having fewer errors isn’t too much of a stretch for him.

All in all - they should remain quite competitive.

I think they are worse from a pure talent point of view, but as mentioned I think it was a mistake to match.

I am not sure how much of an upgrade Holloway is over Podkolzin. And further when Kane eventually comes back, him and Holloway kind of took the same spot on the roster.

Apparently Broberg wants to pay on strong side and analytically his numbers are better on left side. Oilers need someone to play the right side. So now sure how much losing him hurts. Just depends what he ultimately turns into.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad