Initial impressions: who 'won' the Blues/Oilers offer sheet saga?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who 'won'?

• Blues for getting the players they wanted

Votes: 157 67.7%
  • Oilers for not paying those players at the cap hits they're signed for plus getting draft picks

Votes: 49 21.1%
  • Penguins for getting a 3rd for a 5th because they had a pick the Blues needed to do the offer sheets

Votes: 78 33.6%

• Total voters

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
We did, for having something interesting happen in the NHL in August.

I like it best for the Pens, who improved picks at no cost. Edmonton has actually handled the situation well in dumping Ceci and getting Emberson and Podkolzin to cushion the loss (although their lack of D depth is a major issue, especially if there's an injury or Ekholm's game starts to decline with age). I feel like St. Louis overpaid for draft pedigree and playoff hype, but if they're retooling then its the kind of gamble they should be making.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Rare L for everyone involved. Oilers losing their two most promising young players for a 2nd and two 3rds is not great. The Blues having those players signed at 2-3 times their worth, which will inflate QO's when they next need contracts, is kinda bad too. I guess the Pens win for getting a couple of free picks?

Still, highly entertaining for the rest of us, 10/10 would do again. Maybe neutral fans are the winners of this deal.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
All three options are based on future occurrences, so how do we judge it on initial impressions? I guess Pittsburgh since picks don't cost anything and have somewhat of a known value right now, but that's still kind of tenuous.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
We will have to see how the players develop. The Oilers benefit right now since Broberg and Holloway are getting massively overpaid for the players they currently are. The cap flexibility and picks are worth more then what those players are worth on ice today especially the potential options it could give the Oilers at the deadline. If Broberg and Holloway really develop further in the next few seasons then St. Louis would win by getting two really good players for a low cost. We will have to see how things unfold in the next few seasons.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Hold on. Let me pull my crystal ball and see Holloway and Brobergs future.

The reality for the Oilers is that they were put in a position that is hard to win.

I think a lot of people get caught up in prospects and potential so time will tell.

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
Holloway is the only remotely interesting piece.

That Broberg contract is nasty. I’m not even sure he’s an NHL player lol

• Haha
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
The Oilers got two assets they can trade for veteran D help at the deadline.

The Blues got two young players signed to non-prohibitive deals, and only had to give up a 2nd and a 3rd.

Whatever you think of either player, the odds of the 40- 60th + 75th-96th pick being better than Philip Broberg or Dylan Holloway at any point in their careers, much less in the next 3-5 years, is near 0.

Great bit of GMing.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Maaan that Nurse contract...

Honestly I think Broberg and Holloway are the two big winners, especially since it was reported that Oilers were offering only around 1m AAV for each player. OP I feel like that should be an option in your poll along with the others (assuming multiple votes continue to be allowed)

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Rare L for everyone involved. Oilers losing their two most promising young players for a 2nd and two 3rds is not great. The Blues having those players signed at 2-3 times their worth, which will inflate QO's when they next need contracts, is kinda bad too. I guess the Pens win for getting a couple of free picks?

Still, highly entertaining for the rest of us, 10/10 would do again. Maybe neutral fans are the winners of this deal.

I honestly don't get this take. I don't know how this a loss at all for the Blues. They weaponized their cap space and yes they overpaid but there are absolutely zero consequences from doing so. We are not in cap trouble and won't be for the foreseeable future. If both or one player bust out we could choose to just not qualify them in two years and let them become UFAs. There is literally zero risk for the Blues with potentially a high reward and all it cost is a few mid round lottery tickets.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
I honestly don't get this take. I don't know how this a loss at all for the Blues. They weaponized their cap space and yes they overpaid but there are absolutely zero consequences from doing so. We are not in cap trouble and won't be for the foreseeable future. If both or one player bust out we could choose to just not qualify them in two years and let them become UFAs. There is literally zero risk for the Blues with potentially a high reward and all it cost is a few mid round lottery tickets.

I don’t think enough people realize this isn’t the flat cap world anymore where all 32 teams are completely maxed out.

14 teams are under by at least $3M.

9 teams have $8M or more.

Calgary and Anaheim each have over $22M.

And the cap is going up.

Nobody is going to have any trouble moving contracts around any time soon.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
1. Broberg - made bank + opportunity
2. Blues - 2 young players for lotto tickets
3. Oilers - for not matching (poor cap management for a contender in win now mode to match both)
4. Holloway - not convinced his chasing a million was a smart move vs less now on a contender with a growing role. Earning potential wise for his career overall this seemed unnecessary and probably not impactful in anyway. Broberg on the other hand absolutely had to take 4.5m+ after spending most his time on an AHL roster.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
The oilers were always going to lose. Loose the player or lose cap flexibility and have another destroy your internal salary cap structure.

The oilers made the right choice but still come out losing. A team that is slated to contend cannot have these players on the contract they were offered by the blues.

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The Oilers lost by not getting Holloway and Broberg locked up on reasonable deals prior to the offer sheets. The picks they received from St Louis aren’t enough to offset the current values of those players if Edmonton had them already signed on reasonable contracts.

Edmonton losing doesn’t automatically mean St Louis won. We’ll have better perspective a year from now after seeing how they play for the Blues. It’s still possible both teams could “lose”.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
It's quite funny how people are saying the Oilers lost, yet if last season Oiler fans offered Broberg for a mid-2nd round pick people would have laughed at it.

I'm not happy to see either player go, but that Broberg contract is gross. I do wish we matched the Holloway offer though instead of re-signing washed up Perry

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad