Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXXI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Hasn't that been who RS has been comparing him to since his draft? I know some of us bought the 'Stevens is my role model' hype (myself included, I had a big man crush on Duncan), but a young 2nd pairing mobile Barrett Jackman is still a big need for this team and being mentored by Adam Foote might just be what he needs to reach the next level.

I wish he'd get called up for that very reason, to spend time with Foote.

Yes, the similarities between Jackman and Siemens are strong. Duncan is a better skater and Barret made an NHL impact early in his career, but both are mean SOB's who aren't great at moving the puck.

If Siemens even just becomes another Hejda, that would be a very valuable player for this team.

I still think this is definitely possible. He could be a good middle pairing defender, still.

He can move the puck, it's more shooting is the issue.

Unless his passing has improved quite a bit, I'm not sure I agree. He moved the puck only ok for a junior player back in the day, so I would be interested to see how much that has changed by now. His shot always had some power to it but he never knew where it was going to go.

It would have been very helpful for him if he shot 1000 pucks a day during the summers when he was 16-20. Things like that are how you turn a bad shot into a decent one.

I've always said Siemens can be a Hjalmarsson type. Hes the perfect Barrie partner down the line.

Maybe in their role, but not very similar in their playing style. I do agree that him and Barrie could work well together.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Can I borrow your crystal ball?

Prime Brad Stuart put up 10 goals and almost 40 point paces a few times. Pretty safe to say Duncan "9 points in 90 AHL Games" isn't going to touch that.

I'd imagine 15-20 points would be his ball park. Similar to guys like Hejda.

Crisp Breakout

Jan 3, 2011
Chicago
Can I borrow your crystal ball?

I'd bet a lot of money on that one. By this point in Stuart's career, he'd already put up a 35 point season in the NHL. Siemens has how many points in the AHL? And there's no reason to believe that his abilities would translate to better scoring in the NHL. He's just not that type of player. I don't think he's even got Hejda upside--certainly not prime Hejda. My hope is that he turns into a guy who can consistently put the beat down on good players and wear them out. And given his injury history, I don't have high hopes for the consistency part.

Ice Crusher

Apr 10, 2011
Quebec City
I'd bet a lot of money on that one. By this point in Stuart's career, he'd already put up a 35 point season in the NHL. Siemens has how many points in the AHL? And there's no reason to believe that his abilities would translate to better scoring in the NHL. He's just not that type of player. I don't think he's even got Hejda upside--certainly not prime Hejda. My hope is that he turns into a guy who can consistently put the beat down on good players and wear them out. And given his injury history, I don't have high hopes for the consistency part.

Looking at pts totals in the AHL and NHL is totally irrevelant. Just look at Shattenkirk in the AHL. He wasn't as effective offensively as in the NHL. Nobody knows how Siemens will look 5 years from now.

Crisp Breakout

Jan 3, 2011
Chicago
Looking at pts totals in the AHL and NHL is totally irrevelant. Just look at Shattenkirk in the AHL. He wasn't as effective offensively as in the NHL. Nobody knows how Siemens will look 5 years from now.

Maybe I don't know how he'll look in 5 years. But he's not an answer to our top-4 next year, I can tell you that now. And I suppose there's always the "who knows" approach, but I think we're deluding ourselves if we're counting on Siemens to fill in the top-4.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I wouldn't say they are irrelevant but one has to keep in mind that Lake Erie has a problem scoring and they don't put Siemens in offensive situations. I still can't figure out how Corbett went from a good offensive defenseman in junior to 3 points. He doesn't play every game but when he plays he touches the puck a lot. He needs to shoot more (so does Siemens) but it's kinda baffling. It's tough for a lot of first year players to score though.

And on what I said earlier, I don't imply that a Siemens is a PMD, just that he can move the puck competently. I know the bar is rather low based on what we see here on a nightly basis.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Not taking sides either way, but a 10 game sample size is a lot different than a 90 game sample size.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Isn't there any other example other than Shattenkirk we can use? He turned out to be a damn fine NHL player so probably fitting he did so well immediately in the NHL. It's not relevant at all to what we discuss about any other player. He's an exception, a great player, that doesn't prove any part of the argument.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
A reasonable defender should get 10 points a year simply due to secondary assists. Guenin has a career average pace of 13 points. O'Byrne has a career average of 10 points.

I think Siemens AHL numbers are too low for what you can expect out of him in the long run. He should be a 10-15 point guy at the NHL level, should he make it there. You have to be extraordinarily limited (McAllister) not to.

Shattenkirks numbers in the AHL are meaningless. It was just 10 games. Had he stayed down there, he would have started putting up points at the same pace Barrie did at least.

member 116861

There are a lot more examples of guys playing well in the AHL but not able to transfer their game to the NHL. Look at this team in the past few years. A lot of guys come up from the AHL and change their game because they don't want to make a mistake. I love Stefan Elliott but he doesn't play as aggressively as he should in the NHL. It took Brad Malone moving to the Hurricanes before he started playing like he did in the AHL. Paul Carey took a couple of seasons before he started playing like he could. My point is that it isn't going to just magically click for Duncan when he gets to the NHL. There is a bigger chance of him not making it because of changing his playing style in the NHL once he does become successful in the AHL. Thankfully he does play a pretty safe style but there is a chance that he sacrifices is physical game in order to play it safe and that won't help him at all.

Ice Crusher

Apr 10, 2011
Quebec City
Not taking sides either way, but a 10 game sample size is a lot different than a 90 game sample size.

For sure it is. I have no doubt about that but we have seen this in the past. Plenty of players don't perform as well in the AHL as they are in the NHL just because of the lack of talent surrounding them. Anyway, Siemens was not drafted for his points totals.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
There's a difference in being patient and seeing where this team is and what it needs.
This team has one of, if not the worst defense in the league but at the same time they have one of the best forward groups on one of the bet goaltenders in the world. Sure it's nice to be patient but defense takes a lot longer to develop than forwards and by the time our D are ready to be elite our forwards may be passing their prime.

^ This

The Avs also have 3-4 legit D prospects already in the system. Do they have top 2 potential, that might be pushing it, but there is some hope there and at least good odds that all will become at least good 4-6 depth D men. Get the top 3 guy now.

This current forward core, minus 2 depth forwards needed on the 3rd/4th line, which can be found via UFA, smaller trades from teams dumping for cap relief, or perhaps even in the system already, is ready to go. (plus just getting healthy with Winchester, McGinn, and Bords)

The D has EJ and Barrie who are hitting their prime, a few young up and coming rookies for depth, and a plethora of depth with experience/comfort in the system in Holden, Stuart, Guenin, and Redmond. Get a 28/29 year old D man in his prime signed for 3-5 years to put in the 2/3 spot and perhaps add another upgrade via UFA for the bottom pair and the D jumps into the top 15 at least in the league, if not top 10.

Varly is a top 5 goalie in the league when healthy, Pickard is a backup with potential, and Berra -- if you can't move him -- probably has a rebound year in him.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Again, the notion of acquiring both Phaneuf and Greene, in the proposal you outlined, not only cripples our prospect pool depth but also ensures that we are going to lose one of EJ/MacKinnon/Barrie in the summer of 2016, and that is not worth it. Be patient. The Cup doesn't have to be won next year.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Why is Siemens O game even an issue, like it isnt enough that we EJ and Barrie and possibly Bigras providing plenty of offense. Just be able to play defensively and skate, that s all that should matter

m0ngr31

I had a dream last night that we missed the playoffs and the day after we were mathematically eliminated, Roy waived Briere so he could get picked up by a playoff team, but I'm not sure how that would work. Are waivers still a thing after the deadline? Either way I remember thinking it was a nice gesture by Roy.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I had a dream last night that we missed the playoffs and the day after we were mathematically eliminated, Roy waived Briere so he could get picked up by a playoff team, but I'm not sure how that would work. Are waivers still a thing after the deadline? Either way I remember thinking it was a nice gesture by Roy.

Players acquired after the TDL are not allowed to play in the playoffs. I don't know about waivers but that rule stands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad