Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXXI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Why would you go to Buffalo? I know the future is bright but that's not now. Plus how many young forwards can they put in a lineup at any given time?

Go ask Justin Schultz why he went to EDM. :laugh:

Well, I know he's a defenseman and so on but bright futures and all that...

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
He should get a lot of ice time with the Leafs. Gets to play in a big market and in a great city as well.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I don't know enough about Bailey but if he's as good as people say, would anyone be opposed to guaranteeing him a NHL roster spot and ice time? Not just specific to Bailey either, take any good college FA. We discussed this with Hayes too and a lot of people said he should have to earn it. That signing looks great for the Rangers right now.

Where the media loves to chase players out of town. Sounds lovely.

Mainly just the expensive core players, high draft picks, and the guys who are from Toronto. He should be safe.

Last edited:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
If they wouldn't do it for Hayes they won't do it for Bailey. I personally might think about a guarantee but that's not how the Avs operate.

I'm hoping they LEARNED with Hayes that sometimes they'll have to make that guarantee. I do firmly believe that's what ended up separating us from the Rangers.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I don't know enough but about Bailey but if he's as good as people say, would anyone be opposed to guaranteeing him a NHL roster spot and ice time? Not just specific to Bailey either, take any good college FA. We discussed this with Hayes too and a lot of people said he should have to earn it. That signing looks great for the Rangers right now.

Well Hayes is a former first round pick while most of the rest are undrafted and don't make a big impact very often. If they were going to guarantee a spot that was the place. Don't see them doing that.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
if true, that was pretty stupid by the avs, considering how much crappy players like cliche have played this season.

It's a slippery slope to get on though, my understanding is that most teams don't outright guarantee NHL roster spots, so it wasn't an uncommon thing that the Avs didn't. Sather just made a promise that could have backfired. Hayes COULD have been better served getting some time in the AHL before coming up to the NHL this year, but the guarantee of a spot right away sort of tied his hands. What if Hayes just sucked and looked out of place right from the get-go? Well, then Sather has to keep him up because of a handshake promise/agreement. Most GM's don't want their hands tied in that manner.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I guess to get him to sign you have to play him down the stretch so a year is burned off the ELC.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
So you guys are saying you think the Avs would let a potentially good player sign elsewhere just so they can stick to their principles?

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Maybe it comes across as sour eggs, but it is beyond me why anyone young player would want to sign in Toronto. Yes, they can offer the max money opportunity allowed, and at this point they can offer a guaranteed roster spot...but it is a clearly toxic environment, the best players are seemingly having to combat the media while struggling badly (e.g.Kessel), and expectations will be absolutely asine. If you don't meet those expectations, then you get turned on by fans and media alike. How is Justin Schultz's NHL career going, exactly? Being handed a roster spot, not being held accountable, and being offered extra perks isn't exactly going so well for his development as an NHL player.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm hoping they LEARNED with Hayes that sometimes they'll have to make that guarantee. I do firmly believe that's what ended up separating us from the Rangers.

If they're not comfortable promising playing time to these 20+ year olds, they might as well not even try to sign them. Clearly there are teams out there willing to do it, and they'll sign with them like Hayes did with the Rangers.

If Mr bridge deal Glenn Sather who's as big a stickler for making young kids prove their worth is ok with promising time to a guy like Hayes, I'm not sure why the Avs have such a problem with it. It's not like they have a wealth of quality bottom sixers that would pose a threat to bump him to the AHL.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
If they're not comfortable promising playing time to these 20+ year olds, they might as well not even try to sign them. Clearly there are teams out there willing to do it, and they'll sign with them like Hayes did with the Rangers.

If Mr bridge deal Glenn Sather who's as big a stickler for making young kids prove their worth is ok with promising time to a guy like Hayes, I'm not sure why the Avs have such a problem with it. It's not like they have a wealth of quality bottom sixers that would pose a threat to bump him to the AHL.

:sigh:

As I stated, most (if not nearly all) GM's don't guarantee NHL Roster Spots to College UFA's, usually for the same umbrella reason of not wanting their hands tied in case the player doesn't work out, etc. They need that flexibility in case a player NEEDS time in the AHL, or just simply doesn't perform well right away

The Avs were a hell of a lot closer than people realize with Hayes, in the end, it was the NHL Guarantee that (I personally believe) ended up separating them. So what does that tell you about the other teams supposedly in on Hayes? They also weren't guaranteeing a spot for him. I also believe that if Hayes play REALLY warranted it, he would have been sent down, and stayed down, in the AHL. So what happens to Sather's promise there? Word would spread that he's not a man of his word, so it's another thing where GMs don't want that type of reputation out there (if they can help it)

FoppaForsberg*

The fact that we were in the final runnings for a college prospect like Hayes is at least positive. East coast boy, born and raised on the east coast, went to BC, and we were that close to getting him to come to Denver? Encouraging.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
If he's thinking about Buffalo and Toronto and went to school at Penn state he clearly likes the east. So there isn't much anyone can do if that's where he wants to play. Clearly he doesn't care about being on a winning team or one that's going to need a few years to contend.

I'm not saying the Avs should operate that way but they are building a culture a certain way and maybe they don't want to pass over their own prospects. It's never about desperately needing to have Cliche in the lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad