Contract Termination: Ilya Kovalchuk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Some Shea Weber cap recapture type stuff here. Truly incredible :laugh:
There's one scenario where if he retires with I think 3-4 years left the recapture is 30 mill or something like that. Wonder how that would work since no team would ever have that much cap room?

Reactions: Joel Ward

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
There's one scenario where if he retires with I think 3-4 years left the recapture is 30 mill or something like that. Wonder how that would work since no team would ever have that much cap room?
Devils are already paying a recapture penalty of $250k per year for another 6 years.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Not necessarily. Kings need scoring wingers. He has good speed, puck skills, good size, back-checks and is effective on the PK. In all honesty, he might be even a better fit for the Kings than the Caps, considering he came from a low scoring Coyotes team. The big difference between the Coyotes and Kings, is team speed and maybe a bit better goaltending. I'll add, @ $2.75 million per year, Panik's contract for his age is a lot better than a bunch of Kings roster.

Caps should def keep him then.. Why get rid of such a good player?

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
If it's true that Kovy is first and foremost looking for an NHL contract I think it's a case of him wanting to win the Stanley Cup very badly to agree to a contract termination and decline a lucrative KHL deal. My respect to him is actually on the rise. Never hated him or anything like that though.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
If it's true that Kovy is first and foremost looking for an NHL contract I think it's a case of him wanting to win the Stanley Cup very badly to agree to a contract termination and decline a lucrative KHL deal. My respect to him is actually on the rise. Never hated him or anything like that though.

I'm guessing he wants to at least go somewhere where he can enjoy playing hockey - can't see any contender taking on a player who has become a total defensive liability.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Slim pickings. If he's willing to take a small income (relatively speaking), I wouldn't mind seeing him with Barz. Hall isn't coming our way, Hoffman isn't going to be traded. Isles need a scoring winger.

Reactions: PuckItUp27

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
No for Weber that would be if he retired with just one single season left, and the hit would be 24 million. I believe it's large enough that Nashville would either exceed the cap or below the floor, both of which are against the rules. It's the reason most of us think the NHL at worst would allow it to be split out over a longer period like 2-3 years. It would still hurt but wouldn't break things.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Remember when L.A fans were making proposals and arguing that Kovalchuk had trade value earlier this season? Good times..

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
No for Weber that would be if he retired with just one single season left, and the hit would be 24 million. I believe it's large enough that Nashville would either exceed the cap or below the floor, both of which are against the rules. It's the reason most of us think the NHL at worst would allow it to be split out over a longer period like 2-3 years. It would still hurt but wouldn't break things.
Thanks I remember that being the number. Legally I dont think they can change the rules since the owners signed off on the new rule that wouldn't be fair to teams that had to pay the penalty. But knowing The bias of this league, they would find a way to LTIR him or maybe your right they break it up and do something like forfeiting a 1st for every year the 24 mill is divided by?

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Despite Panik's low production numbers with the Caps, he is technically still a better 2-way player than a good deal of Kings players on the 2nd/3rd line.
the kings need to rebuild hard tbh . i dont think real kings fans want slight upgrades this year they wanna tank hard and just arent mad kopitar is still good

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Thanks I remember that being the number. Legally I dont think they can change the rules since the owners signed off on the new rule that wouldn't be fair to teams that had to pay the penalty. But knowing The bias of this league, they would find a way to LTIR him or maybe your right they break it up and do something like forfeiting a 1st for every year the 24 mill is divided by?
Doubt it would be that stiff, I mean eating 8-12 million in dead cap is pretty hard as it is. I could see them taking a 1 time pick, but they aren't going to take one for each year. Keep in mind we also more or less figure the NHL is going to bend a bit as well considering it was an offersheet, not something that was directly negotiated by Nashville unlike the other cases. The Weber contract has some rather unique things to it the others signed during this same period don't.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Doubt it would be that stiff, I mean eating 8-12 million in dead cap is pretty hard as it is. I could see them taking a 1 time pick, but they aren't going to take one for each year. Keep in mind we also more or less figure the NHL is going to bend a bit as well considering it was an offersheet, not something that was directly negotiated by Nashville unlike the other cases. The Weber contract has some rather unique things to it the others signed during this same period don't.
Good point. I'd give you a like instead of forcing you to read this but had my like taken away for daring to say something negative about Doogie even tho it was true.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Say what you want about Kovy but he just gave up 10 mil to play hockey. What a legend. Most people would have coasted, and sat in the pressbox for 2 years and got paid. But not this stud.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Because he was so terrible that lowly kings don't want him. So bad, they terminated his contract while still having to keep the 6.25M cap hit. Definitely not worth it from the Bruins perspective - especially when they want to play a faster tempo style.

I wouldn't look at too much of LA, they have been a mess and coached by garbage coaches.

Sweeney won't make a move before trade deadline week so Kovy at 1M I'd give him a shot.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
I'm guessing he wants to at least go somewhere where he can enjoy playing hockey - can't see any contender taking on a player who has become a total defensive liability.

I don't know. As a role player I could see some teams interested, especially if Kovy's asking price is somewhere around league minimum.

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
All these people wanting him in here... he’s a tire fire in his own zone and really only has a good shot left in his game. There is a GM dumb enough to sign him thinking he will bring back flashes of his thrasher day but that ship has sailed. Hope he stays in the west.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad