Contract Termination: Ilya Kovalchuk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
The Pens PP has been garbage. One significant reason beyond injuries is that we have nothing for the left wall F position. That was what we lost in Kessel.

Don’t know if Kovy can play 5 on 5 but Geno and him have been great together in the past.

If it’s cheap it is a gamble I’d welcome.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
I really don't get it.

I might be hallucinating and stuff but I really don't get it. It always seems like the Russian UFAs (primarily from KHL but sometimes within the NHL as well) get way less leeway. Have a game where you don't have a point? demoted down a line or two. again? demoted to the 4th line. Then it is always followed up by this foggy and messy situation with healthy scratching, random made up stories that these players are supposedly always less disciplined than all the other players etc. Followed by a contract buy out. If it was someone else? Gets 2 more seasons to get back on track.

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
I really don't get it.

I might be hallucinating and stuff but I really don't get it. It always seems like the Russian UFAs (primarily from KHL but sometimes within the NHL as well) get way less leeway. Have a game where you don't have a point? demoted down a line or two. again? demoted to the 4th line. Then it is always followed up by this foggy and messy situation with healthy scratching, random made up stories that these players are supposedly always less disciplined than all the other players etc. Followed by a contract buy out. If it was someone else? Gets 2 more seasons to get back on track.

There's a huge bias, but its also because Russians have an opportunity to go the KHL the moment something goes back. Not all NA players have the chance to pick up, move to another part of the world and make big money deals. It's just not a thing that happens.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Is it weird that this is the second time he’s not fulfilling a contract he signed or is it just me? Also a little ironic that it’s the Kings now, the team that he almost signed with before signing with the Devils.

Good luck to whoever signs him next. Make it a 1 year contract.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Thanks I remember that being the number. Legally I dont think they can change the rules since the owners signed off on the new rule that wouldn't be fair to teams that had to pay the penalty. But knowing The bias of this league, they would find a way to LTIR him or maybe your right they break it up and do something like forfeiting a 1st for every year the 24 mill is divided by?

Let's not forget that the contract was signed before the rule change too.

grapes55

Sep 14, 2017
theneckguard.wordpress.com
Unlikely, but I could definitely see him going to the Islanders and having a little bit of a renaissance. Similar defense-first mentality as New Jersey at the time with Lou at the helm to boot :popcorn:

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I can’t see any top teams picking him up if he couldn’t cut it on a bottom three team. I think he either signs with another team outside the playoff picture or in the KHL

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Edmonton should be all over him. They desperately need secondary/tertiary scoring. He would be a good option for the 2nd PP as well.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
I really don't get it.

Has been that way for a long time. So much media attention has been on racism in the NHL, but that isn't even close to the issue about the way Russian players have been mistreated here. Something about North American culture in hockey that is very insecure about Russian players and allowing them to succeed in the NHL. Plus, when a Russian player isn't having a good spell of games the media will absolutely attack them but if a Jonathan Toews aint doing well he's a good old Canadian boy who is struggling because his team is bad.

Reactions: jaeger

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I really don't get it.

Did you by chance watch him ignore three coaches in favor of doing his own thing on the ice over the past two seasons, or is this just a false narrative you’re pushing?

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
Did you by chance watch him ignore three coaches in favor of doing his own thing on the ice over the past two seasons, or is this just a false narrative you’re pushing?
He was brought in to score points.

Considering he came from the KHL and is way past his prime he did pretty well.

Like was said earlier: not a lot of leeway for Russians in the NHL. It’s 2019 but not a lot has changed it seems.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
He was brought in to score points.

Considering he came from the KHL and is way past his prime he did pretty well.

Like was said earlier: not a lot of leeway for Russians in the NHL. It’s 2019 but not a lot has changed it seems.

You’re wrong. He was given every opportunity with Los Angeles. He was given time on the first and second powerplay units and all four lines. He never found chemistry with anyone. Clearly you didn’t watch the Kings. We thought it was a Stevens problem, then a Desjardins problem, but fool me twice, shame on me, it’s not a McLellan problem. Kovalchuk either wouldn’t or couldn’t play within a coaching system.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
You’re wrong. He was given every opportunity with Los Angeles. He was given time on the first and second powerplay units and all four lines. He never found chemistry with anyone. Clearly you didn’t watch the Kings. We thought it was a Stevens problem, then a Desjardins problem, but fool me twice, shame on me, it’s not a McLellan problem. Kovalchuk either wouldn’t or couldn’t play within a coaching system.

Seems like the coaching system isn't working with where the Kings have been in the standings in the past 2 seasons

Reactions: jaeger

Todd Lazarchick

Oct 15, 2019
Would definitely give him a look with the Caps. It's not like he even would NEED to play here. Give him a look, if he doesn't click just cut him loose.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
He was a terrible fit for the Kings from the beginning. Through out Kolvalchuk's career everybody knows he doesn't back-check well. Kings are still a grinding heavy fore-check team. Kings coaches had no patience to keep him on the 2nd line and he wasn't able to develop any good chemistry with the Kings roster. You put Kovalchuk on a more finesse team with an offense attack and he'll be a good fit.

False. The Kings haven’t been that team since 2015.

Remember when L.A fans were making proposals and arguing that Kovalchuk had trade value earlier this season? Good times..

Link?

Reactions: Guitpik

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Is it weird that this is the second time he’s not fulfilling a contract he signed or is it just me? Also a little ironic that it’s the Kings now, the team that he almost signed with before signing with the Devils.

Good luck to whoever signs him next. Make it a 1 year contract.
Kovy didnt quit on the Kings. The Kings quit on Kovy.

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad