Contract Termination: Ilya Kovalchuk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Well they were already paying him while not playing him, so this isn't totally out of the blue.

I want to know how this happens without it being considered a buy-out. Anyone know why this can be called "termination" instead? Is it because Kovalchuk is agreeing to it?

Either way, I think he's done in the NHL. Sad, because I loved this guy's game when he was with the Thrashers. He was the best player in the league after the three headed monster of Sid/Malkin/Ovie.

I would be interested in knowing this too. Is it because of his age? To me it should be a buyout not a termination.

Reactions: qqaz

ziggy7716

Oct 20, 2006
I think he will consider only top teams; WSH/BOS/NYI/COL/STL. Maybe just because it’s Florida even though they aren’t in a playoff spot right now he would go to TB and FLA

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
Kings are going to have a whopping $11m in cap tied up in the 20-21 season between Kovalchuk, Phaneuf, and Richards, with no LTIR magic wand available to wash any of it away.
It's called "getting to the cap floor while they tank."

Reactions: hmc1987

Booba

Jun 20, 2005

Plekanec's contract was off the books after it got terminated by Montreal last season. Was a 35+ aswell. Same goes for Jagr with Calgary in 2017-2018.

Not sure why it's different in Kovy's case.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Plekanec's contract was off the books after it got terminated by Montreal last season. Was a 35+ aswell.

Not sure why it's different in Kovy's case.

It's because it was only a 1yr deal. The 35+ thing only applies to multi-year deals in this case.

Drk6yy1VAAA8P8x

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
I’m confused why he isn’t being dealt for another struggling player with a similar cap hit or being dealt for pennies on the dollar with heavy retention. If LA is still on the hook for his cap hit then something is fishy. The Kings are bad enough that I’d think someone would take a chance.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Kings are going to have a whopping $11m in cap tied up in the 20-21 season between Kovalchuk, Phaneuf, and Richards, with no LTIR magic wand available to wash any of it away.

Wow. That's pretty remarkable. What a mess.

I also didn't realize how far the Richards money stretched into the future. Bobby Bonilla-esque

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
If it were cheap enough I'd be tempted to try a kovy malkin rust line. At the very least he would have to help the power play some.

Reactions: CF Punk

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
F

For damm cheap why not give it a shot?

Some of the options are terrible right now.

Because he was so terrible that lowly kings don't want him. So bad, they terminated his contract while still having to keep the 6.25M cap hit. Definitely not worth it from the Bruins perspective - especially when they want to play a faster tempo style.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Islanders have been looking for a “scoring” forward. I wonder if they kick tires.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad