IIHF World Championship

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
I suppose when I said Im not a fan of Meier's game, I meant moreso the way he plays when hes not in the offensive zone

I find him to be lackadaisical when its not an offensive rush or powerplay. This could be attributed to San Jose's poor play however.

I also could be overstating this as I dont get the chance to watch too many Sharks games
Funny this is how I view Zacha but Meier had a better start to his career and has had a more consistent playstyle/role obviously.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Meier as a player would be a nice addition but that contract is a big impediment. Getting paid 10 million in his last year is a huge ask for a team to take on. I believe he has a ridiculous QO due to that too so you essentially have to treat his contract as a UFA contract. Plus San Jose likely has to maximize his value to get rid of some of their horrendous contracts because Burns, Karlsson, and Vlasic deals are immovable.

If his contract can drive down the value to something reasonable, Devils should be all over him.
Yes they should hopefully at least look into it. Meier or even E Kane or would you prefer Meier? What other players might be available in a similar situation ? Tkachuk in Calgary is somewhat simular where he has a crazy QO figure that might make him somewhat more likely to be moved ?
I hope we take advantage of our cap space somehow to,try to grab an elite player that might be available due to teams just not having the $$$ . Any possible RFA targets ? I know it’s been beaten to death and never happens but at some point an offer sheet would be nice to toss out on some players.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I feel like his type of player has a tendency to look like that. Because when they’re on, they’re impactful and constantly impacting the play. When they’re not, even if they aren’t a detriment, you think they’re just coasting around because their top level can be dominant. He’s the kind of player you want when playoffs roll around in my opinion.

Reminds of Zacha in that sense. You hear Tampa fans complaining a lot about Killorn’s regular season play, but when he’s full-on in the playoffs, he’s an absolute menace. Henrique and Palmieri are probably relatable examples from Devils players.

See a Killorn or one of the Schenn Brothers as the type of veteran that would be a preferable addition to the current Devils' roster; as opposed to the big name (and contract) players garnering most of the attention.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
So far Gerard Gallant has lost to Bob Hartley AND Jack Capuano. Wonder if this changes the way some teams are thinking of filling their coaching vacancy?
Because he lost in a random international tournament that isn’t even comprised of the best players in the world, never mind is also unbalanced in talent due to many good players either opting out or being in the NHL playoffs? Some countries have some of their better players, while other countries don’t have their best players or even any particularly good players available to use.

Two random games in international tournaments with all these bozo’s in the lineup really means more than a much larger body of work in the NHL?

Reactions: Patrik26 and nugg

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I think people tend to get a little too attached to the wingers these guys play with in these tournaments.

This just tells me Nico is awesome and he can do that with other talented wingers in NJ. It doesn't have to be Meier
What?!? I will never no joy until Jack Hughes and Cole Caufield are reunited and stay together forever. Nothing else makes sense, they scored goals!!! That I saw on tv!!!

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
You misidentified the dude that couldn’t bury that puck as our sweet Sharagovich, sullying his good name! (It was just a joke, probably not a particularly good one.)

As the authority and arbiter of bad jokes for this board, I'll be the judge of that. It was mediocre. While the hyperbolic use of hyperbole is a valid ground for a bad joke, your too minimalist version of this paradigm was open to easy misinterpretation. In the future, please be more creative and understandable. Thank you.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
As the authority and arbiter of bad jokes for this board, I'll be the judge of that. It was mediocre. While the hyperbolic use of hyperbole is a valid ground for a bad joke, your too minimalist version of this paradigm was open to easy misinterpretation. In the future, please be more creative and understandable. Thank you.
I admit it, it was low effort. Or “minimalist”. Probably more the former.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I admit it, it was low effort. Or “minimalist”. Probably more the former.

Had it worked better, the effort would not be the issue. Consider this your first warning. Continued infractions may result in sanctions including, but not limited to, your censure and revocation of your standing to post puns, jests, gags, and/or put-ons.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Studenic was buzzing today in our 3-1 win over Russia. He could have had 2-3 goals and was making slick moves around Zadorov, Gavrikov and Zub. He’s a hard worker even though he doesn’t have the highest hockey IQ. Unfortunately he was injured on a shot block (blocked 2 major chances in a row) and couldn’t put any weight on his foot. I fear he is done for the tournament. 17 year old Slafkovsky likely moves into his spot now

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Studenic was buzzing today in our 3-1 win over Russia. He could have had 2-3 goals and was making slick moves around Zadorov, Gavrikov and Zub. He’s a hard worker even though he doesn’t have the highest hockey IQ. Unfortunately he was injured on a shot block (blocked 2 major chances in a row) and couldn’t put any weight on his foot. I fear he is done for the tournament. 17 year old Slafkovsky likely moves into his spot now

Studs had a decent last few games in the NHL.

BlizzardSloth

Mar 27, 2019
Zurich, Switzerland
Can I ask something?

why is international ice bigger? And do they prefer the way the game is played over there as fans vs NA ice?
International ice is just the Olympic standard size and it's used almost everywhere outside of NA. Just Liiga (Finland) and the KHL have a mixture of rink sizes (NHL-size, hybrid-size, and Olympic) as far as I'm aware. I once read an explanation that the NHL used to adjust the rink sizes to the arenas (smaller rink, more seats) and only later set a standard on rink size. So I guess those sizes are just naturally grown.

When it comes to questioning what the fans prefer it's probably mostly what they're used to. I do prefer the Olympic size, it leaves more room for skilled players and makes physical play harder. To me, NHL rinks look way too small. But most NHL fans will probably feel the other way around.

Reactions: Goomba and TBS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad