IIHF World Championship

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
i'll take the bait - why is he the lesser player

Power? Not nearly the skater that hughes is and does not bring the ability to dominate offensively like Hughes has the tools to do so with his skating and passing.

the only thing power does better is being taller.

Give me the kid that is 18 months younger with better tools that has so much room to grow to be the best player in the draft by a long shot when he hits his ceiling.

2 years at Michigan will make Hughes that.

There’s some saying he has attitude problems and harping on his recent injury, let’s not turn him into the Barzal of Dmen where we regret not taking him.

Reactions: mdj12784

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Power? Not nearly the skater that hughes is and does not bring the ability to dominate offensively like Hughes has the tools to do so with his skating and passing.

Give me the kid that is 18 months younger with better tools that has so much room to grow to be the best player in the draft by a long shot when he hits his ceiling.

There’s some saying he has attitude problems and harping on his recent injury, let’s not turn him into the Barzal of Dmen where we regret not taking him.
18 month apart but in the same draft class :huh:

learn to look up birth dates first, than you can come back and post again.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020

I’m sorry but if you think the only thing Power has on Hughes is his height than I doubt whether you’ve even watched them both outside of highlights. It would be much more accurate to say all that Hughes has on Power is skating.

Power’s decision making, passing/vision, defensive game, shot and poise are all better than Hughes. Hughes is a better and more dynamic skater no question but Power is a really good skater as well.

The point that Hughes is younger(less than 10 months not 18) and could potentially have higher offensive upside with his skating is fair. He is very raw compared to Power but, Power is much better in the mental aspects of the game.

Power is pretty much a lock to go first overall at this point IMO.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Luke isn’t particularly good defensively, people may be imagining more of two-way defenseman there when he’s more of an offensive defenseman. His defensive advantages right now over Quinn seem to come from his size not his decision making.

He has a ridiculous sky-high ceiling on the offensive side and while the foot injury is an issue it’s not one that I have to puzzle out, teams will get info on that. The “character issue” was reported in such a gossipy, unprofessional way that it doesn’t matter to me right now at all, an unknown number of completely unidentifiable sources (they aren’t even anonymous sources with job descriptions) who “haven’t said a positive thing”, isn’t much to work with. The team can find out for themselves what they need to know with their own “character recon”. That a non-issue to me since I don’t take gossip seriously and the team will put the work in learning about him. (They could even meet his family.)

I haven’t given much thought about the Devils taking Power because he doesn’t matter at all if we don’t win the lottery on June 2nd. I’m not someone who feels the need to rank all these guys. I loved Stutzle as prospect, I was hoping for that 3rd pick but I didn’t give any thought to Byfield vs Stutzle or whatever.

If I sound harsh, I’d be perfectly happy with drafting Luke (assuming his foot checks out), he does have a very high ceiling and he could be both ridiculously productive and provide an excellent transition game. He’ll likely need a stout defensive minded babysitter though, similar to Chris Tanev in Quinn’s rookie year. Tanev had an underrated role in Quinn’s rookie year that was way more apparent this season as Quinn struggled without him while Tanev proved to be one of the top defensive defenseman workhorses in his first season in Calgary.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Not commenting on any 2021 prospect but on D -prospects in general: barring major size/strength issues...Always, Always, ALWAYS go with the best skater.

Reactions: Unknown Caller

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Switzerland has 8 goals and Nico is pointless... can't wait to see some of the takes about that.
Was a very weird game. Lots of PP time and most of the goals were PP goals. Hischier had his usual role in front of the goal, where he did a good job but not many touches.

Overall, he doesn't look very sharp, which is not really surprising after a difficult season. He's a monster at faceoffs though!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad