Player Discussion Igor Shesterkin

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014

5. The gulp may be even larger than you imagine with The Post having been told that Shesterkin’s camp is aiming for a contract under which the goaltender would start with 14 percent of the cap, which would equate to a netminding record of $12.9M under an expected $92M cap for 2025-26.

• Haha
Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut

5. The gulp may be even larger than you imagine with The Post having been told that Shesterkin’s camp is aiming for a contract under which the goaltender would start with 14 percent of the cap, which would equate to a netminding record of $12.9M under an expected $92M cap for 2025-26.

I believe it is impossible for a goaltender to be worth that much when you look at how the game is played today.

Or even 10 years ago.

It could be argued that we had the goaltending advantage in every single series while Henrik played for this team.

What did it get us?

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
Can't give him that much money, or anything close. Goalies aren't worth that much.

Time for Plan B. That's a lot of money that could be freed up.

Reactions: NikC

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I find it funny nobody minded handing Panarin 15% of our salary cap in 2020, but Igor now wants that, the guy who year after year is our best playoff performer, and now they are up in arms.

How about getting rid of Panarin who no shows anyway in the playoffs to pay for the guy who DOES show up in the playoffs? Or we can just get rid of Igor, get some average goalie, and have them pull an Anderson and give up 3 softies in a single playoff game.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
it really is encouraging to see how many people are on the same page with NOT PAYING a goalie that much $$.

Say what you want.. but Drury is all business right now, and he has ice water in his veins....

I don't see him paying above $9m for igor... even $8!

Trade him! Please build a competent team in front of the goalie... let's not do this again with Lundqvist 2.0

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
it really is encouraging to see how many people are on the same page with NOT PAYING a goalie that much $$.

Say what you want.. but Drury is all business right now, and he has ice water in his veins....

Trade him! Please build a competent team in front of the goalie... let's not do this again with Lundqvist 2.0
What are we going to get with that whole extra 3M if we give him 9M instead of 12M? Another Goodrow maybe? Not sure why you think you can build a competent team with a few extra million.

Want a competent team, stop signing mentally weak players who disappear when the big games start like Mika and Panarin.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC

Do you truly believe Drury isn't going to give him north of 8M? Hopefully they can get a deal done for 9.5M, but my guess is he gets at least 10.

Reactions: leetch99

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
I find it funny nobody minded handing Panarin 15% of our salary cap in 2020, but Igor now wants that, the guy who year after year is our best playoff performer, and now they are up in arms.

How about getting rid of Panarin who no shows anyway in the playoffs to pay for the guy who DOES show up in the playoffs? Or we can just get rid of Igor, get some average goalie, and have them pull an Anderson and give up 3 softies in a single playoff game.
I just came out of Publix and they didn't have black and whites.

Now at 9.8.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

#1 LW in points since signing that contract.
#4 Forward in Points. Behind...well, you can guess the top 3.

I get it, we only remember playoff performances and maybe that money can be used elsewhere on players who can battle and perform in the playoffs, but it's hard to be mad at that signing when it comes to the percentage used. Meanwhile, Igor hasn't been spectacular in the last 2 regular seasons. It's a bit easier to be up in arms over a player who performed in 16 games, wanting 14% of the cap/long term when he'll turn 30.

Reactions: bouds

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
#1 LW in points since signing that contract.
#4 Forward in Points. Behind...well, you can guess the top 3.

I get it, we only remember playoff performances and maybe that money can be used elsewhere on players who can battle and perform in the playoffs, but it's hard to be mad at that signing when it comes to the percentage used. Meanwhile, Igor hasn't been spectacular in the last 2 regular seasons. It's a bit easier to be up in arms over a player who performed in 16 games, wanting 14% of the cap/long term when he'll turn 30.

And Igor is a top 3 goalie so I'm not sure why people expect him to get low balled, 8M offers are ridiculous.

Should we give him 13M? No, but if we can compromise on around 10M-10.5 then I'm pretty sure Drury will sign that relatively quickly.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
And Igor is a top 3 goalie so I'm not sure why people expect him to get low balled, 8M offers are ridiculous.

Should we give him 13M? No, but if we can compromise on around 10M-10.5 then I'm pretty sure Drury will sign that relatively quickly.
And the other top goalies recently signed for under 10. Oettinger, Swayman and Ullmark will be the next in line to sign contracts.

Shesterkin hasn't been a top 3 goalie in the regular season for 2 years.

8m is what fans are comfortable with because of the long term fear. Some fans just don't want a long term contract any at decent cap. Igor is obviously getting more than 8 million. 10m is clearly different than the 12.9 ask. But it's easy to see why fans are up in arms over something being reported as 3 million over 10, regardless of a player starting high in the asking price.

Reactions: Circus86

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
And the other top goalies recently signed for under 10. Oettinger, Swayman and Ullmark will be the next in line to sign contracts.

Shesterkin hasn't been a top 3 goalie in the regular season for 2 years.

8m is what fans are comfortable with because of the long term fear. Some fans just don't want a long term contract any at decent cap. Igor is obviously getting more than 8 million. 10m is clearly different than the 12.9 ask. But it's easy to see why fans are up in arms over something being reported as 3 million over 10, regardless of a player starting high in the asking price.
He was 4th last season according to Vezina voting. Fact is he is consistently a top goalie in the league.

Oettinger is a good goalie but he's not even close to top 5, despite how overrated he got for that one playoff series a couple years ago.

Swayman will get a nice bump but he's only played 150 games (including playoffs), while Igor has over 250.

Ullmark is already 30 and I don't think Sens are going to commit to giving him a big contract until they see how he plays as a true #1 guy for their team.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
What are we going to get with that whole extra 3M if we give him 9M instead of 12M? Another Goodrow maybe? Not sure why you think you can build a competent team with a few extra million.

Want a competent team, stop signing mentally weak players who disappear when the big games start like Mika and Panarin.
its not the $3m dollar player that makes the difference.. but's its that $3m towards the player we need...

First off, i'm not even down for paying him $9m. I don't want the rangers to dedicate that kind of salary to a goalie again... i'm not sure they walk away from him... but I can't see Drury giving him a payday either.

He's won NOTHING. And imo, without the stellar play of Quick behind him, or any really compentent backup... I don't think he would have had as strong of a season. He's not a durable goalie, like Henrik... he can't handle a heavy workload.

I really hope Drury walks away from him altogether if they are looking beyond $8.5

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
its not the $3m dollar player that makes the difference.. but's its that $3m towards the player we need...

First off, i'm not even down for paying him $9m. I don't want the rangers to dedicate that kind of salary to a goalie again... i'm not sure they walk away from him... but I can't see Drury giving him a payday either.

He's won NOTHING. And imo, without the stellar play of Quick behind him, or any really compentent backup... I don't think he would have had as strong of a season. He's not a durable goalie, like Henrik... he can't handle a heavy workload.

I really hope Drury walks away from him altogether if they are looking beyond $8.5
He won the Vezina 3 years ago and nominated for the Hart?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
He was 4th last season according to Vezina voting. Fact is he is consistently a top goalie in the league.

Oettinger is a good goalie but he's not even close to top 5, despite how overrated he got for that one playoff series a couple years ago.

Swayman will get a nice bump but he's only played 150 games (including playoffs), while Igor has over 250.

Ullmark is already 30 and I don't think Sens are going to commit to giving him a big contract until they see how he plays as a true #1 guy for their team.
Shesterkin will be turning 30 when that new contract kicks in. Who are your top 3 goalies?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad