BRUINS GDT Free Agent Frenzy - July 1 NOON (ET) - ESPN+, TSN, SN

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Has Poitras beefed up any? He looked like a featherweight out there during his brief tenure last season.

They’re gonna have to do better than Geekie on the 2nd line.

If Donnie doesn’t pull a rabbit out of his hat on that the (deserved) criticism is that he wasted money unnecessarily on a backup goalie instead of getting legit 2nd line winger.
He looked solid yesterday

Geekie I like on third line but he’s vastly underrated here - I know it’s not me either my bros I been hanging with since grade school and watching and playing hockey overwhelmingly like Geekie

As for him being a second line center if he or Lysell or whoever doesn’t grab it they got 250 days till trade deadline

I’ll worry February 2 not July 2

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
I think Brazeau will be fighting to make the team, nice story last season just don't see him as a shoe in.

Jones is going to be a regular and would not be surprised to see them give him a shot to play up on the third.

The kid brings the nasty we miss on most nights, he's a asshole.

Yeah, Brazeau needs to have an impressive training camp otherwise he's probably on waivers. Like you said, he could be very good or he could've just gone on a heater.

I asked a Ducks fan about Jones and they said "he's a psycho, he'll fit right in." He is injury prone though.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Please be sure to check back here early next spring, or maybe earlier, to find out for sure if Don Sweeney spent wisely and effectively Monday with his acquisitions of high-profile/high-cost free agents Elias Lindholm and Nikita Zadorov.

Make no mistake, they’re impact guys. The Bruins look like they’ll be better with both in the lineup, and should be better with them in the lineup. Sweeney doled out a combined $84.25 million, his biggest spending day as the club’s resident shot-caller, to bring Lindholm and Zadorov aboard as critically-needed upgrades up front and in back.

Lindholm has hands, hockey IQ and should, noted the nine-year GM, plug seamlessly into the power-play bumper role that lacked a certain, shall we say, pizzazz, chutzpah, and sometimes so much as a clue, without Patrice Bergeron in that spot last season.

Zadorov, the big Russian bear of a man (6 feet 6 inches/248 pounds), will drop directly into the top-four backline group and supply an intimidation factor in front of the Boston net that has gone wanting since the departure of Zdeno Chara, the slightly bigger and more ornery Z, in the summer of ‘20.

That “Help Wanted” ad, seeking a bona fide defensive presence back there, went unanswered for four long years. Such was the shadow cast by Big Z. They knew they’d miss Chara. History has told them how much.

With Zadorov aboard, the top four blueliners, filled out by Charlie McAvoy, Hampus Lindholm, and Brando Carlo, now weigh in at 898 pounds and measure 25 feet, 4 inches. Add a foot or so to that for the height of their skate blades and, voila, the NHL’s 31 opposing teams shouldn’t be waltzing through the Black and Gold Forest like they too often have since Chara’s exit.

Some crucial subtext, not directly related to Mssrs. Lindholm and Zadorov, continued to evolve for the Bruins on UFA Day.

Sweeney made clear he wants a faster, harder team to play against. Specifically, he wants skaters who “arrive on time” on the forecheck. I don’t think I was the only one in the press gallery to hear the silent “ding!-ding!-ding!” bell echo around the Guest Street practice facility when he said it.

That’s precisely what he should want after watching his club get booted from the playoffs the last two years by the Panthers, who just won a Stanley Cup with a forecheck-first-last-and-always approach that chewed up the Lightning, the Bruins, the Rangers, and the Oilers. The Panthers won on talent backed by will and force, mainly in the form of an oft-ferocious forecheck, one that punished the Bruins’ defensive group.

Had the Bruins been able to match Florida’s forechecking the last two springs, we might have seen back-to-back Duck Boat parades in ‘23 and ‘24. But they didn’t come close, for pace, will or ferocity. The Panthers didn’t bumrush the Bruins out the backdoor, but they persevered and overcame on speed, unremitting smack and composure. It’s will and coaching that best bring all that out, and the Panthers had bigger will and better coaching, an overall better method.

Adding skilled guys in Lindholm and Zadorov alone, Sweeney well realizes, doesn’t guarantee the boats come rollin’ through the old West End next year, either. There has to be more. If not, then it will be six straight seasons of exiting Stanley Cup stage left out after Rounds 1 or 2.

Sweeney’s most telling moment of the day came midway through his 4 p.m. press conference when he mused over how the day might have been a reflection of losing to Florida.

“I don’t think it’s a direct reference to what we didn’t have,” said Sweeney. “Obviously, Florida’s a good team … do I think we should have gotten to a Game 7 and see what happens? Yeah, I do. I think we left it on the table in [losses] in Game 4 and 6. I am hopeful that these two players tip that scale in our direction moving forward … as I referenced, Elias has been in those top spots. I can’t tell you whether or not he would have done a better job against [Sasha] Barkov than Charlie [Coyle].”

Exactly. There is no knowing. The result was Barkov won out over Coyle, and he could well overcome Lindholm if Boston’s overall attack doesn’t change. Change parts all you want. But the approach, in speed of play and execution and determination, has to change with it. Being a tick behind in today’s game ultimately means being left behind.

“Yeah, 100 percent,” said Sweeney, when asked if he felt his emphasis on improved forechecking was as important as newly acquired headliners.

On follow-up, when asked if he had not liked the forecheck for some time, he added, “Again, some of these guys were just getting to the league, and not knowing what they’re supposed to be … ”

Ergo, Sweeney went out Monday and signed Max Jones, a 6-3 left winger, ex- of the Ducks, who he believes can play the crash-and-bang game.

“How we are going to utilize him is important,” added the GM.

The prior Monday, in the deal that sent Linus Ullmark to Ottawa, Sweeney obtained Mark Kastelic, a 6-4 right shot center — and another candidate for crash-and-bang duty. Another guy with size and legs.

“Son, there’s no reason for you not to be killing penalties,” said Sweeney, recalling his conversation with Kastelic. “So spend this time this summer … and understand what those responsibilities are.”

Sweeney’s overall mantra: speed, size and ability to forecheck and possess pucks. He needs more guys to do that. He thinks the likes of guys like Jones and Kastelic will deliver it. If not, knows now, he’ll have to find someone who can.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I see endless possibilities and I like Max Jones as the 4th line left wing. He brings a physical/agitating element that I think their looking for. Beecher and Kastelic swapping in and out depending on opponent and the way their playing. I also think Kuntar just may surprise and earn a chance, but I guess that would all depends on how Lysell and Merkulov do. Brazzeau is a I guy who I could see stealing that second line RW spot, just when everyone thinks its lysell or Merkulov to win. Geekie I like, but to me he's best suited as a 3rd liner who can play up when needed, and I'm hoping thats where he's at, because if he is someone has stepped up.

Poitras I belive will start out at 3rd line center Under Lindholm and Coyle and progressively earn the 2nd line center moving forward, but I dont see him starting out there from the get-go. Great season ahead, this team as of now is built for play-off Hockey!

Big time physicality on the backend for the first time since the days of Mcquaid, Boychuk,Miller and Big Z. Teams will fear entering the bruins zone and will have to keep their heads up with Chucky, Peeke and Zadarov. Bring on the playoffs... Stanley is returning to Boston!
I can see Brazeau beating out the extras for top 9 opportunity. I cannot see him beating out Geekie and Frederic. If a kid or cheap veteran does not fill in the top 6 I would expect Brazeau would move up to displace Geekie or Frederic. But in a perfect world I have

Marchand - Coyle - Lysell/Merkulov
Frederic - Poitras - Geekie

or

Marchand - Poitras - Geekie
Frederic - Coyle - Lysell/Merkulov

Again, if Lysell and Merkulov flame out, Frederic or Geekie move up rather then Brazeau.

Reactions: Alan Ryan

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Haha

He comes in with Ducks and I’m thinking same - what’s up with him? Bust ? He’s an ahole in real life (my thinking may be 180 off) so I just watch him and think ‘hmm….he looks pretty good’

so I’m more then game for this

If Lysell & Poitras hit and are top 9 players in any form the Bruins are in great shape
Our bottom 6 in my view will be tops in the league.

Poitras will be an impact player this season.

Lysell getting his feet wet in the first half of the season to measure where he's at would be my plan, if he's ready for a full time roll that would be a bonus unseen in reality as of today.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
I can see Brazeau beating out the extras for top 9 opportunity. I cannot see him beating out Geekie and Frederic. If a kid or cheap veteran does not fill in the top 6 I would expect Brazeau would move up to displace Geekie or Frederic. But in a perfect world I have

Marchand - Coyle - Lysell/Merkulov
Frederic - Poitras - Geekie

or

Marchand - Poitras - Geekie
Frederic - Coyle - Lysell/Merkulov

Again, if Lysell and Merkulov flame out, Frederic or Geekie move up rather then Brazeau.
Freddy Coyle Geekie need to be that third line. Not team could match up against that

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
feel like our team got vastly stronger yesterday, still that goal scoring winger gap, might have to hope it comes internally but like the Lindholm/Zadorov signings, I honestly know nothing about Jones, Tufte , Keopke and Viel dudes, depth signings to help Providence?

Reactions: Gordoff and Kegs

Raleighfern

Apr 7, 2017
Has Poitras beefed up any? He looked like a featherweight out there during his brief tenure last season.

They’re gonna have to do better than Geekie on the 2nd line.

If Donnie doesn’t pull a rabbit out of his hat on that the (deserved) criticism is that he wasted money unnecessarily on a backup goalie instead of getting legit 2nd line winger.
he mentioned yesterday putting on 8 to 9 lbs since his injury.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Zacha-EL-Pasta
Marchand-Poitras-Geekie
Freddie-Coyle-Lysell
Beecher-Kastelic-Brazzeau
Merk
Jones

I like Boqvist but they are going heavy & Merkulov needs to play

Heinen leaving sucks - what he brought was invaluable my one issue add him and they roll

DeBrusk was going in hindsight & they swap out with EL & put Zacha at wing where I like him better

They got about 250 days to trade deadline to see how it works

The D healthy being coached by Jay Leach should be very good

Get Sway in 7-8.5 M

And should be able to grab a playoff spot home Ice round 1
My critique would be to swap Coyle and Poitras.

Poitras should be stapled next to Frederic on the 3rd line. We do not need a repeat of last year. Poitras took a lot of body contact.

We have the team to protect our young guys now and a lot of guys placed in positions that it makes breaking prospects in that much easier.

I really don't think I've been this excited for a season in quite some time.

This is a big exaggeration but Lindholm and Zadorov kind of have a Savard and Chara like feel to it when they were signed but obviously on a much lesser extent. I just think they're both going to have a massive impact on this team

Adding guys like Max Jones, Kastelic and Jeffrey Viel as well...it's really a great time to be a Bruins fan.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
He looked solid yesterday

Geekie I like on third line but he’s vastly underrated here - I know it’s not me either my bros I been hanging with since grade school and watching and playing hockey overwhelmingly like Geekie

As for him being a second line center if he or Lysell or whoever doesn’t grab it they got 250 days till trade deadline

I’ll worry February 2 not July 2
Agree, rest of the team is solid. I love the D and Swayman. Korpisalo will get his wins vs Columbus and San Jose to give Swayman some rest.

The forward group for the first time in years is actually tough to play against. Jones, Kastellic, Frederic, Marchand all grade A pests and Freddy and Kastellic will drop em. Brazeau and Beecher were physical last year and I consider Viel a Darkhorse to make the team as the 13th forward. You try Lysell, who I am not a fan of, with Poitras and Freddy and see what happens. Maybe you sign Sprong for 1.5 at this point or take a flyer on Zadina. Not a fan of either but you can easily bury Zadina in Providence.

At the trade deadline I don't expect Draisaitl, Rantanen, Boeser or Verhaeghe to be available I would expect Vatrano, who would fit in nicely with this teams, Nelson and Konecny to be. Any would solve the top 6 wing issue.

I'm just happy that it looks like the Bruins, for the first time in far too long, will be the hammer and not the nail.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Freddy Coyle Geekie need to be that third line. Not team could match up against that
I think that sounds great, but there is no 2nd line that I like better then that 3rd line.

Marchand-Poitras-Lysell/Merkulov/Brazeau is a non starter.

Are you considering moving Zacha to 2C? I just think your ideal 3rd line doesn't really have a chance to start the season, but it may be exactly what we see after adding a top 6 player at the TDL.

Reactions: Gordoff

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
he mentioned yesterday putting on 8 to 9 lbs since his injury.
Body weight is one thing; putting on 10lbs of clean muscle for a person resistance training can take 2 - 3 years.
As a 19 - 20 year old his body will naturally add weight as he fills out as he ages. I would be more concerned that his trainers have him focusing on core and stabilizer muscle strength to help him absorb more contact without breaking down. He is going to be a player, just need to give him time physically develop.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Agree, rest of the team is solid. I love the D and Swayman. Korpisalo will get his wins vs Columbus and San Jose to give Swayman some rest.

The forward group for the first time in years is actually tough to play against. Jones, Kastellic, Frederic, Marchand all grade A pests and Freddy and Kastellic will drop em. Brazeau and Beecher were physical last year and I consider Viel a Darkhorse to make the team as the 13th forward. You try Lysell, who I am not a fan of, with Poitras and Freddy and see what happens. Maybe you sign Sprong for 1.5 at this point or take a flyer on Zadina. Not a fan of either but you can easily bury Zadina in Providence.

At the trade deadline I don't expect Draisaitl, Rantanen, Boeser or Verhaeghe to be available I would expect Vatrano, who would fit in nicely with this teams, Nelson and Konecny to be. Any would solve the top 6 wing issue.

I'm just happy that it looks like the Bruins, for the first time in far too long, will be the hammer and not the nail.
I think you’ll be surprised by Lysell, for a smaller skill guy he can play a little greasy from time to time. I’m excited for him to get a look

Would love for Vatrano to come home, he’s kind of an asshole to play against too

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
Fingers crossed this all works out the way it looks like it could. Please no injuries that change the trajectory. Please. Time to go back to summer hibernation where I stop watching tv and social media and just float around the pool after work until time to make dinner, rinse and repeat until the weekend :) Have a great summer y'all.

Beyonder

May 20, 2024
Body weight is one thing; putting on 10lbs of clean muscle for a person resistance training can take 2 - 3 years.
As a 19 - 20 year old his body will naturally add weight as he fills out as he ages. I would be more concerned that his trainers have him focusing on core and stabilizer muscle strength to help him absorb more contact without breaking down. He is going to be a player, just need to give him time physically develop.
The good news is that there are plenty of players in the league who are on the small side and are very effective. Many of them are not tanked out. Even a guy like Ryan Lomberg is pretty tiny but is a banger and initiates and absorbs a lot of hard contact. And there are any number of top 6 forwards who put up points, are smaller and not known as being very physical, but aren't thought of as being soft.

It is good if Poitras is adding muscle and is preparing to be more durable. I'd say it is just as important for him to progress with awareness, knowing that huge guys are trying to take his head off every shift. It's a difficult balancing act to keep yourself out of harm's way without becoming a periphery player who won't go into the hard areas. But there are plenty of examples of smaller dudes who figure this out.

I'm optimistic Poitras will get there too.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Good points.
If NESN reruns its Free Agency special it’s worth the watch.
Jaffe and Brick both commented on how good Poitras looked yesterday. Said it was pretty remarkable that he put on 9 pounds of muscle while having to rehab the shoulder. And yes as he goes from boy to man maturity it will become easier to do.
They said in the meantime he’s been skating and working on his edges, They said thats key in getting away from bone crushing hits. Being able to spin or move on edge to better absorb a hit. I found it interesting.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I am pleased Maroon is gone. He did NOTHING for the Bs
I had higher hopes for him than what he delivered, but in hindsight, it was not likely to go any other way given his age and miles, and coming off a pretty serious back injury. I appreciate what Don was trying to do in bringing him on, but looking back, it was probably never going to really work out well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad