Player Discussion Igor Shesterkin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ReddestRum

Sad even when winning
Dec 19, 2013
This team or this fanbase doesn't deserve Igor. We've been spoiled on great goalies for so long that they're expected to carry the entire team on their back to near perfection while the guys in front of him coast. A part of me hope he's a Ranger for life, but the other part hopes that someone like Hank talks some sense into him as a goalie in his prime that it's not all about the money, and if this team doesn't give him the support that he needs then he needs to think about himself come UFA time.

Row I Goon

Nov 14, 2018
IMG_0305.jpeg

Yeah - I’ve moved through pain and am now wallowing in anger….

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
This team or this fanbase doesn't deserve Igor. We've been spoiled on great goalies for so long that they're expected to carry the entire team on their back to near perfection while the guys in front of him coast. A part of me hope he's a Ranger for life, but the other part hopes that someone like Hank talks some sense into him as a goalie in his prime that it's not all about the money, and if this team doesn't give him the support that he needs then he needs to think about himself come UFA time.

The sad part maybe the forwards dont back check on purpose due to the fact they have always relied on their great goaltending. That has to change. Sometimes I wish we had crappy goaltending just so it would make the players work harder defensively. They are too selfish

Reactions: ReddestRum

bouds

Feb 9, 2009
There's no way I'm paying a GK that much, I dont even want to go to 8m. He's good, but folks, we've gone down that road and come up short because we didnt have the firepower or D to back him up. If our scouting/farm was producing top level forwards and defenders that were cost controlled, sure, why not, but with the club the way it is I can't do that deal.

In fact, if it were up to me, I'm trading Igor and retooling. I'm looking at what we can do over the next two years with this group and the cap the way it is, and I'm just not seeing it, better to retool early than late.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017

12m? no way 8-9 is my max....see if Sens bite with Brady as centerpiece...
I'd need Brady and Tim / Sanderson to start; we can throw in Trocheck or whatever, and it's still a steep ask, but Igor at peak value and on a very reasonable contract for another year.

There's no way I'm paying a GK that much, I dont even want to go to 8m. He's good, but folks, we've gone down that road and come up short because we didnt have the firepower or D to back him up. If our scouting/farm was producing top level forwards and defenders that were cost controlled, sure, why not, but with the club the way it is I can't do that deal.

In fact, if it were up to me, I'm trading Igor and retooling. I'm looking at what we can do over the next two years with this group and the cap the way it is, and I'm just not seeing it, better to retool early than late.
Sell at peak value if you're not going to win it all. You don't wait for a crap contract or a decline.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
If you expect a player to carry you to a cup despite all other factors then he should make 20%.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Watch what Bobrovsky did this game. Until Shesterkin does this ever in the playoffs he can take his 12M dollar contract demands and shove them.

Reactions: NikC

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
You've got a weird agenda.

Not really I just want to see a 12M goalie get a shotout and steal a game in the playoffs once in a while. Watching Bobrovsky today pissed me off to no end. Games 1 and 5 were opportunities for wins that didn't come. I'd say Edmonton were more dominant against the Panthers today than the Panthers were in either of those games, especially game 1.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Not really I just want to see a 12M goalie get a shotout and steal a game in the playoffs once in a while. Watching Bobrovsky today pissed me off to no end. Games 1 and 5 were opportunities for wins that didn't come. I'd say Edmonton were more dominant against the Panthers today than the Panthers were in either of those games, especially game 1.
Save some for the rest of us.

ReddestRum

Sad even when winning
Dec 19, 2013

You know, in order for games to be stolen we still have to score goals. Preferably not in the last minute of the game. :)

At least Bob has some firepower and grit in front of him. Igor was stealing games since the Carolina series, but you want him to just keep doing it and doing and doing it until there's nothing left in the tank. Sorry. You just can't steal a Stanley Cup. Something tells me it's a team effort.

Last edited:

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I'd need Brady and Tim / Sanderson to start; we can throw in Trocheck or whatever, and it's still a steep ask, but Igor at peak value and on a very reasonable contract for another year.

Sell at peak value if you're not going to win it all. You don't wait for a crap contract or a decline.
For sure Shesty would go high but selling to Ottawa. Man, that just feels wrong. Even Hasek couldn't help the Sens. Shesty would have the same fate. Would you sign an extension to play forever in Ottawa when you were just 1 season away from unrestricted free agency?

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021
You know, in order for games to be stolen we still have to score goals. Preferably not in the last minute of the game. :)

At least Bob has some firepower and grit in front of him. Igor was stealing games since the Carolina series, but you want him to just keep doing it and doing and doing it until there's nothing left in the tank. Sorry. You just can't steal a Stanley Cup. Something tells me it's a team effort.
Correct. If a great goalie alone could steal a cup, Price would have one, and Lundqvist would have 3.

The reason Igor doesn't have a shutout in the playoffs yet btw is because it's statistically impossible to do so when the whole game takes place in your defensive zone, lol. Upgrade our entire defense except Fox with guys who can actually get the puck out, and he'll get a shutout.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

He didn't really steal games in the Carolina series. He gave up 3 or more goals in 5 of 6 games and he wasn't facing that much quality. What he was was clean in that series. Props to him for not allowing many soft goals in that series unlike the Panthers series.

TheWrongWay

May 7, 2023
New York
He didn't really steal games in the Carolina series. He gave up 3 or more goals in 5 of 6 games and he wasn't facing that much quality. What he was was clean in that series. Props to him for not allowing many soft goals in that series unlike the Panthers series.

You may be expecting a bit too much from a goalie.

Like I've seen you get on Hank a lot over his playoffs. But the dude has a huge playoff resume – one of only 20 goalies in NHL history to play over 100 career playoff games – and of that group, Hank has the third-best career playoff save pct. I think he’s only behind Hasek and Rask on that list.

The NYR playoff shortcomings this century are on the skaters, not the goalies.

Put Bob on this year’s NYR, Igor on the Panthers, and Igor is working his way toward a ring right now and Bob is playing golf.

I've been watching since the 70s. The closest I’ve seen to a goalie legit carrying a team to a Cup was Patrick Roy in 1986. And Roy still had a really solid team in front of him, including 2 HOF forwards and 2 HOF d-men.

Roy also had the good fortune of not having to face Edmonton in the SCF that season.

IMHO… Hank and Igor buy their teams additional playoff rounds far more so than the skaters in front of them ever have.

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
I love Igor Shesterkin.

For 7@12 mill per? Haha, no fn way.

And the trade speculation is going to be a blast.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Let's not forget how great Quick was playing thoughout the season. It gave Igor some space until he figured out this game. Does Quick come back? Igor struggles at times, how would he handle a $10+ contract with all that pressure. Lundqvist did his best and even he failed.

Build a SC team off the back of a goalie is a loser's game, but the NYR management thing they know everything, so i can see them giving him a big contract. DUMB!!

REally hope Drury takes control of this teams destiny, even if it means shaking things up dramatically.

No, more hope and a prayer cup runs. No more waiting for a goalie to save them, sitting on 1g leads.

ENOUGH! it's never going to happen that way

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad