Speculation: FSG shake up?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
I'm not going to link it because I have no idea where "PensBurgh" is but I came across an article stating "David Beeston, co-head of Fenway Sports Management and a Penguins’ alternate governor, is stepping down"

"Beeston, who did not respond to requests for comment, played a major role in Fenway’s Penguins purchase and in recruiting current President of Hockey Operations and GM Kyle Dubas."

Anything to make of this? I'm skeptical because when I Google it, PensBurgh is the only place with this info

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Elliotte Friedman reported this. I can't easily google the article because that man posted a million things over the last week. I did read it; it was a final topic in a longer article about free agency just before the day started yesterday. Pensburgh quoted basically everything he said.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I mean, C-Suite and VPs step down and move on all the time just like any other job. I wouldn't think this means anything for the Penguins.

It's not like someone is going to walk into Dubas's office and say "Davey boy is gone! You now have permission to fire Sullivan!"

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I mean, C-Suite and VPs step down and move on all the time just like any other job. I wouldn't think this means anything for the Penguins.

It's not like someone is going to walk into Dubas's office and say "Davey boy is gone! You now have permission to fire Sullivan!"
Yeah and they typically send shockwaves through organizations and illicit change.

new person could definitely walk into Dubas’ office and say “we’re paying you $7M to win NOW” or “strip this thing down and cut salary ASAP” or whatever vision they have for the team.

Could also be that they don’t check in on Dubas and are solely business side.

We don’t know what it means but to say “this happens all the time to no effect” is wrong.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Yeah and they typically send shockwaves through organizations and illicit change.

new person could definitely walk into Dubas’ office and say “we’re paying you $7M to win NOW” or “strip this thing down and cut salary ASAP” or whatever vision they have for the team.

Could also be that they don’t check in on Dubas and are solely business side.

We don’t know what it means but to say “this happens all the time to no effect” is wrong.
Not saying it's impossible but most organizations like FSG wouldn't operate like that. At least with Sid here still. They are more long-term thinkers than instant gratification.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Not saying it's impossible but most organizations like FSG wouldn't operate like that. At least with Sid here still. They are more long-term thinkers than instant gratification.
if the Pens were Beeston’s brain child it could def mean changes. We don’t know.

At its most basic level though - You think Dubas feels great that the guy who recruited him and paid him a lot of money is gone? I wouldn’t and would want assurances from Henry.

He likely knew about it ahead of it being public and everything is fine at this point but it’s all interesting.

Some investment dickhead baited his other investment dickhead pals into wasting a billion dollars on a franchise that's gonna hemorrhage money for a decade. :laugh: Funny.
Sadly they will definitely make hundreds of millions on the Pens haha

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Beeston was the only FSG guy who was around, so for all practical purposes the Pens are getting a new owner. Somewhat a big deal, even though I don’t think they were super involved anyway.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Beeston was the Pens' alternate governor and the one from FSG overseeing day to day operations, but he's not the only one from FSG who has been involved.

It's Rossi, but this article states chairman Tom Werner was the one who first reached out to hire Dubas.

It also states executive Sam Kennedy and FSG head John Henry were involved.

So I doubt much changes. FSG owns the Red Sox, and Werner and Henry are heavily involved, but Kennedy serves as team president. Mike Gordon is in charge of Liverpool's operations.

The Pens will just have a new alternate governor and point person.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Not so fast, things could still get even MORE Boston yet
The bloke that left just ran things, they won't sell. They'll just find another Masshole that takes over his job. Status quo
Beeston was the Pens' alternate governor and the one from FSG overseeing day to day operations, but he's not the only one from FSG who has been involved.

It's Rossi, but this article states chairman Tom Werner was the one who first reached out to hire Dubas.

It also states executive Sam Kennedy and FSG head John Henry were involved.

So I doubt much changes. FSG owns the Red Sox, and Werner and Henry are heavily involved, but Kennedy serves as team president. Mike Gordon is in charge of Liverpool's operations.

The Pens will just have a new alternate governor and point person.
I remember Beeston was the one that claimed a new GM can decide to make a coaching change but then wanked off to Sullivan and his greatness and Henry professed his love and admiration for him.

The part that made me go yeah right, he has no choice was that Dubas' comments about Sullivan was basically the same as JR, Burke, and Hextall. It felt like someone from above and the media team drafted talking points and all 4 just reused it over and over.

The one thing I do feel is true is that Dubas is chicken shit to actually fire anyone. Babcock forced his hand. But other than that, he has never fired anyone at the NHL level for performance.

His only performance based firing is Mike Stapleton for Sheldon Keefe back in 2012-13. Sullivan can tank the team for the next 5yrs and this tosser won't fire him.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
It'd be comical if they hired Bowman as the GM so Dubas can do the role he originally wanted and Bowman fires Sullivan and hires Q. Then we can all stop being Penguins fans for a good reason.
If there is 1 thing that will put my foot down and find a new team it would be that. I don't support clowns who hide shit or do shit like they did. I might stop watching NHL all together until the playoffs roll around.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
If there is 1 thing that will put my foot down and find a new team it would be that. I don't support clowns who hide shit or do shit like they did. I might stop watching NHL all together until the playoffs roll around.
Yeah I'd probably say peace out and either stop watching hockey or pick a new team to be a fan of.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad