Player Discussion Igor Shesterkin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
This is a sports fan IQ test. I’m taking notes.
Im going to arrogantly assume you’re including me here. I’m not suggesting he isn’t a great goaltender. More of a question as to whether he’s the type of goaltender we should give a long term extension to.

If he’s a .915 goalie, is it worth it to put a lot of money in for that, or should we take our chances with other options.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Was 2021-2022 simply a career year? That's where I'm at in the internal dialogue at least.

Even if Igor claws back to a .915 by seasons end, that's not a 8 figure salary guy.

Look at Lundqvist's first 4 seasons save percentage before scoring went down and the league is higher scoring now.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I don't know if he's mad at himself or mad at the team, but You can tell he was fuming after the first goal. Then the second goal happened and it was over. Igor struggles to reset and get back in the game. But we've lost 3 out of the last 4, and Igor has given up 15 goals in his last 3 games. Call out the players who stink up the ice, but they seem to have lost some confidence playing in front of him and he's lost confidence playing behind them. The rebounds are ugly and create scrambled coverage. Plays that should be dead, numerous times, end up going on 20 seconds longer and in the back of our net.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Lundqvist also started 70 games, played back to backs, and had a much worse team in front of him.

Eh, Tom Renney's teams were largely more defensively responsible than these teams. They were worse because they didn't have the firepower not because their defense was worse.

Brutananadilewski

Nov 6, 2021
Wherever the keg is!
Eh, Tom Renney's teams were largely more defensively responsible than these teams. They were worse because they didn't have the firepower not because their defense was worse.

You're not dead?!

We went from Jagr, Nylander, Straka, to Jagr, Drury, Gomez, to Drury, Gomez, Zherdev. Most points that season was...58 points.

Lundqvist also had his slumps, but to this degree?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
You're not dead?!

We went from Jagr, Nylander, Straka, to Jagr, Drury, Gomez, to Drury, Gomez, Zherdev. Most points that season was...58 points.

Lundqvist also had his slumps, but to this degree?

He would have a month or two every year where he'd slump. I feel like Shesterkin looks worse in his and they're longer. He's as talented or more than Lundqvist but isn't as as mentally strong.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

Brutananadilewski

Nov 6, 2021
Wherever the keg is!
He would have a month or two every year where he'd slump. I feel like Shesterkin looks worse in his and they're longer. He's as talented or more than Lundqvist but isn't as as mentally strong.

Not feel, it's noticeble: poor positioning, always moving out of the crease, his glove side is horrendous.

He wouldn't flinch until the last second, F'N nerves of steel. Now?

Even with Lundqvist starting slow, it never got to the point where the back-up was playing head and shoulders better than Lundy.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Im going to arrogantly assume you’re including me here. I’m not suggesting he isn’t a great goaltender. More of a question as to whether he’s the type of goaltender we should give a long term extension to.

If he’s a .915 goalie, is it worth it to put a lot of money in for that, or should we take our chances with other options.
Save percentage is just a math equation. Most goals aren’t even scored with the goalie having a prayer anyway. The royal road is the new meta.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
And hank wasn’t as mentally strong as Blackburn. Nobody could move on from giving up a goal quicker. Just ask JD. He would claim it every time.

• Haha
Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I mean he will recover, but as I’ve said the last year plus, I just have no interest in paying that extension, so they may as well trade him.

Trade him for economics, not because of Quick, not because he is in a slump

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Hank only slumped by his own standards. His "poor" stretches, were still basically stretches of being an average starter. And then as the games mattered more, he'd play better and better, all way to the culmination of being the best goalie in the history of the league when his team was facing elimination.

Love Shesty, but the precedent that Lundqvist set is basically unattainable. And honestly, it's probably better for us if he doesn't carry the team and mask all the deficiencies while earning a huge chunk of the cap. We did that with the best goalie of his generation, and [*spoiler alert*] it ended with one of the least-deserved cupless careers of all time.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I think we need to keep two things in mind here when evaluating where shesterkin's game is.

1. He's still coming back from an injury. Who knows whether he's compensating for something?

2. More importantly, Shesterkin has struggled before and just tends to go on cold streaks. He's not, and will never be, Henrik Lundqvist who was absurdly consistent for over a decade. That ship has sailed because Hank never let you question who was the number 1 guy on the team. Ever. He was way too competitive that way and was always "the guy". He was the face of the franchise in a way that few people ever could be. The more pressure Hank was under, the more intense he was. He was a generational talent. Shesty isn't.

With that in mind, Shesty has still shown to be able to fight through those cold streaks and come out the other side. In his first playoff series vs the Penguins, he played poorly the first 3 games or so, then went absolutely nuts for the rest of that series and the next two playing vezina-caliber hockey. Last year, he had a decent, but not phenomenal, regular season. Then he was unequivocally the best player on the ice in the Devils series.

He's in his prime and can easily get back to that level. I just think he needs to play through it and the team needs to be better at clearing out the slot and letting him see pucks.

And as Rangers fans, we sometimes take for granted that we are going to get elite goaltending every game. No other franchise thinks like that and it isn't going to be the case going forward.

Hank only slumped by his own standards. His "poor" stretches, were still basically stretches of being an average starter. And then as the games mattered more, he'd play better and better, all way to the culmination of being the best goalie in the history of the league when his team was facing elimination.

Love Shesty, but the precedent that Lundqvist set is basically unattainable. And honestly, it's probably better for us if he doesn't carry the team and mask all the deficiencies while earning a huge chunk of the cap. We did that with the best goalie of his generation, and [*spoiler alert*] it ended with one of the least-deserved cupless careers of all time.
Yep. Agreed.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The issue with not allowing 30+ shots is that your goalie's save percentage is obviously going to take a hit when you give up bad breaks. They had a defensive structure to now allow a lot, though mostly low danger chances, but the 2006-2007 season saw 13 different dmen dress for NYR. The defense was definitely worse.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Does no one remember 2014 Henrik was absolute garbage to start that season. And not counting his first playoff Henrik has had plenty of duds there too. I still feel like he never looked quite this bad but let's not pretend he didn't suck for stretches at a time.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
With the way the Rangers handle things, does anyone think that Igor is still hurt? Any chance the Rangers rushed Igor back? Any chance Igor lied to the medical staff to get back to the ice sooner. I have never seen a goalie come back from injury and would look completely off in every start except 1 or 2 since then.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Does no one remember 2014 Henrik was absolute garbage to start that season. And not counting his first playoff Henrik has had plenty of duds there too. I still feel like he never looked quite this bad but let's not pretend he didn't suck for stretches at a time.
2014 was nearly a decade after he first appeared. I don't think anybody is disagreeing that Lundqvist didn't let in the stinker, here and there, but he was far more consistent.

WhereO Is Kakko

Mar 24, 2022
This why no matter how bad his numbers get I'm glad he's our goalie and not Georgiev who always thought he was great no matter how bad he was. At least Igor is a stand up guy.
FWIW those two right now, statistically speaking, are the same guy. Maybe it’s worth getting Igor back to thinking “I’m great” again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad