Player Discussion Igor Shesterkin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
The thing about Hank is everyone pretty unanimously agrees that he's the best goalie of the generation despite the fact that he only has one Vezina. The thing that made Hank the best wasn't his peak. It was that he hovered right around that peak for over a decade.

Yeah, he had voter nominations for like 10 straight seasons in the top 10, and like half of them in the top 3.

It just seemed like there was always some different flash-in-the-pan who had a better hot season than him, every year.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Disappointed I haven't heard any MVP chants from the garden like we had for Panarin.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The thing about Hank is everyone pretty unanimously agrees that he's the best goalie of the generation despite the fact that he only has one Vezina. The thing that made Hank the best wasn't his peak. It was that he hovered right around that peak for over a decade.

No one else except maybe Luongo can claim his level of consistency.

Every other goalie had bad years right in their prime.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
What I'm trying to figure out it how you decide who gets the Hart? I mean if you look at the guys who get the most love for the Hart, they all have teammates who's numbers are just as good or not far off from it. Ex. McDavid and Draisaitl, Matthews and Marner and Gaudreau and Tkachuk. Huberdeau and Barkov have a big gap, but I wouldn't necessarily say he is carrying that team by himself.

Shesterkin was definitely carrying this team at one point more than any of the others (imo), but the team still has a 90pt player in Panarin and a 50 goal scorer in Kreider.

It just seems like a complicated year for MVP (for the media). If I had to choose a top 3 it would be, Shesterkin, Huberdeau, and Josi. Picking Igor as the winner.

The issue with MVP is they have a separate MVP for just goalies (Vez) & just D-Men (Norris) whereas for forwards they have nada. So unless a non-forward has a season that cannot be ignored ala price, it's basically the best forward award. In the last 20 years, Price is the only non-forward to win it.

What they should do is make the Lindsay only for forwards since it's effectively the same thing (only non forward to win it in the last 20 was Price) and then make the MVP a more fair award, with actual thought put behind who was the MVP based on team makeup, performance this year versus last, etc.

Scor

Mar 27, 2022
The issue with MVP is they have a separate MVP for just goalies (Vez) & just D-Men (Norris) whereas for forwards they have nada. So unless a non-forward has a season that cannot be ignored ala price, it's basically the best forward award. In the last 20 years, Price is the only non-forward to win it.

What they should do is make the Lindsay only for forwards since it's effectively the same thing (only non forward to win it in the last 20 was Price) and then make the MVP a more fair award, with actual thought put behind who was the MVP based on team makeup, performance this year versus last, etc.
I like that idea. Even if you made the Hart for forwards only, instead of the Lindsay, and just have an overall MVP award. Kinda like how the NFL has an offensive and defensive player of the year but also an overall MVP.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
I like that idea. Even if you made the Hart for forwards only, instead of the Lindsay, and just have an overall MVP award. Kinda like how the NFL has an offensive and defensive player of the year but also an overall MVP.

You'd have to either change the voting structure or have conversations with the NHLPA (for Lindsay) or PHWA (for Hart) and whoever was more amenable to being open minded. It's a shame how often the Lindsay mimics the Hart. Makes it an effectively irrelevant award imo.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol

I hate this narrative so much. Price didn’t have a season that couldn’t be ignored. He finished the year with same same sv% Igor had when the main boards cretins were saying he lost it and it was Anderson’s now. Price’s MVP god season was Igor’s slump this year.

Price won that award because every forward had an ignorable season, not because Price did anything special that couldn’t be ignored

Last edited:

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Hank’s vezina year he had a .930 compared to Price’s .933 and they hank had the edge in GAA. There wasn’t anything f***ing historic about that season other than it happening in Montreal

Reactions: Number 9

clmetsfan

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2007
I hate this narrative so much. Price didn’t have a season that couldn’t be ignored. He finished the year with same same sv% Igor had when the main boards cretins were saying he lost it and it was Anderson’s now. Price’s MVP god season was Igor’s slump this year.

Price won that award because every forward here an ignorable season, not because Price did anything special that couldn’t be ignored
Yeah, that was the year that not a single player hit the 90-point mark. Jamie Benn won the Ross with 87.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

Price won that award because every forward here an ignorable season, not because Price did anything special that couldn’t be ignored
Ding ding ding. The bolded is why Price won the Hart that year. He had a pretty good Vezina caliber season that just so happened to coincide with an extremely low scoring season where the art ross winner didn't even crack 90 points. It's revisionist history when people look back as if he had a Hasek level season or something. He was great and it was his career year, but if he put up that season in literally any of the surrounding years instead of 2015, he wouldn't have won the Hart because there were forwards who would've won it. Simple as that.

Igor's season this year has actually been more impressive when compared to how he stacks up to his peers compared to how Price did his. Price did play more games, had more wins and slightly lower GAA but that's it.

Igor 2021-22 (with 6 games left in the season): 36-11-4 2.01 GAA 0.936 SV%

Price 2014-15: 44-16-6 1.96 .933 SV%

Igor is .009% better in SV% than the next best, Price was .004% better than his next best.

League average SV% this season is .907% in 2014-15 it was .915%! Igor is .029% better than league average, which is just absurd. Price was .018% better than league average. That gap is monumental.

Last edited:

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Ding ding ding. The bolded is why Price won the Hart that year. He had a pretty good Vezina caliber season that just so happened to coincide with an extremely low scoring season where the art ross winner didn't even crack 90 points. It's revisionist history when people look back as if he had a Hasek level season or something. He was great and it was his career year, but if he put up that season in literally any of the surrounding years instead of 2015, he wouldn't have won the Hart because there were forwards who would've won it. Simple as that.

Igor's season this year has actually been more impressive when compared to how he stacks up to his peers compared to how Price did his. Price did play more games, had more wins and slightly lower GAA but that's it.

Igor 2021-22 (with 6 games left in the season): 36-11-4 2.01 GAA 0.936 SV%

Price 2014-15: 44-16-6 1.96 .933 SV%

Igor is .009% better in SV% than the next best, Price was .004% better than his next best.

League average SV% this season is .907% in 2014-15 it was .915%! Igor is .029% better than league average, which is just absurd. Price was .018% better than league average. That gap is monumental.

Price played more games, had more wins and a lower GAA, "but that's it." Those are incredibly important things to say "that's it" to, while also failing to mention other statistics. He was basically better in every stat category other than SV %. The fact that he played a significant amount of more games than Igor is also an absolutely enormous factor when determining MVP and ability to uphold such high #'s. Players who win MVP often don't miss roughly 35% of their teams games as Igor has.

I really don't see how anyone can argue Igor should be MVP due to a blowout year and yet think Price wasn't as deserving. And I believe Igor should probably be MVP, although given the amount he's played this year and the team's record when he's not in net, I'm not as clear cut as others.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
He should get the MVP, but he probably won’t because everyone loves McDavid/Matthews.

What Igor is doing is absolutely INSANE. People fail to realize that this season is the HIGHEST scoring season since 94-95, and he is putting up the best goalie numbers in those 28 years still! He is right on par with a Hasek prime season.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
He should get the MVP, but he probably won’t because everyone loves McDavid/Matthews.

What Igor is doing is absolutely INSANE. People fail to realize that this season is the HIGHEST scoring season since 94-95, and he is putting up the best goalie numbers in those 28 years still! He is right on par with a Hasek prime season.

In Hasek's mega years the lowest amount of games he played was 64. Igor will come in more than ten games under that #. It's a significant difference and while it doesn't discount what he's done, it also can't be ignored.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

I think the problem is also that goals and points are the most obvious metrics when judging players so most of the time regardless the Hart would go to forwards.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Hank’s vezina year he had a .930 compared to Price’s .933 and they hank had the edge in GAA. There wasn’t anything f***ing historic about that season other than it happening in Montreal

To be fair right now Shesterkin is at .936 so same difference between him and Price and Price and Hank.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Price played more games, had more wins and a lower GAA, "but that's it." Those are incredibly important things to say "that's it" to, while also failing to mention other statistics. He was basically better in every stat category other than SV %. The fact that he played a significant amount of more games than Igor is also an absolutely enormous factor when determining MVP and ability to uphold such high #'s. Players who win MVP often don't miss roughly 35% of their teams games as Igor has.

I really don't see how anyone can argue Igor should be MVP due to a blowout year and yet think Price wasn't as deserving. And I believe Igor should probably be MVP, although given the amount he's played this year and the team's record when he's not in net, I'm not as clear cut as others.

I mean playing fewer games could just as likely hurt Shesterkin than help. If I he got hurt after the 7-4 Devils game, his stats would be worse than now.

Scor

Mar 27, 2022
I'm also hoping that they will change the narrative on games played. Goalies don't play 65 plus games regularly anymore. They need to accept this change and not have it be a knock on goalies because they only hit 50-55. Plus, don't goalies have more ice time anyway.

Reactions: Rangerfan4life90

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

I'm not arguing that Igor should win the Hart. I'm saying that Price's season, while great and wholly deserving of the Vezina, was not some insanely historic season that it's often referred to as and the only reason he won the Hart was because there were no deserving forwards.

And Igor's season relative to the other goalies in the league this season is at least on par and arguably more dominant than Price's season was compared to his peers that year. The league average SV% during Price's season was .915 and this season's is .907. There's more goals being scored this season than in any season since 1995-96.

Last edited:
Reactions: clmetsfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad