If we kept our 2022 and 2023 1st rounders, who would we have picked?

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
IMHO I think we would have went for Conor Geekie in 2022, which imho would have been a reach, but not a bad pick per se. In 2023, while I'm going to give the scouting staff the benefit of the doubt and say there's no way they'd pass on Benson, I feel they would have still passed on Benson. I think Wood would have been our pick, which actually would have still been a good pick, just not the BPA in Benson.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
2022: Kasper, Geekie or McGroarty

2023: Maybe Oliver Bonk. At the time we needed an RHD, and we like players with bloodlines in the NHL. It would have been a reach at #12, but our scouts clearly don't care about reaching for players, lol.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
IMHO I think we would have went for Conor Geekie in 2022, which imho would have been a reach, but not a bad pick per se. In 2023, while I'm going to give the scouting staff the benefit of the doubt and say there's no way they'd pass on Benson, I feel they would have still passed on Benson. I think Wood would have been our pick, which actually would have still been a good pick, just not the BPA in Benson.
SELECT name FROM 2022prospects ORDER BY size DESC, LIMIT 1

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

2023: Maybe Oliver Bonk. At the time we needed an RHD, and we like players with bloodlines in the NHL. It would have been a reach at #12, but our scouts clearly don't care about reaching for players, lol.
The thing is Wood is basically the perfect Sens scout player, big, strong, hardworking, and tough. Yes Sens reach players, but they haven't reached when a better player that checks all their boxes is still available. I'm legit confident that Wood would have been picked 12th overall if Sens still had their pick. Strbak would have been picked in the 2nd round by the Sens imho.

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
2022: Kaspar, who I think will be a semi-bust. Apparently our scouts loved him. Although it would be great if we had Korchinski, Mintyukov, or Mateychuk.

2023 Benson (great pick), or Sandin-Pellika

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

This is probably correct.

Obviously we would have coveted McGroarty

And Bert said our scouts loved Bonk.

In 2022, I remember Mark Seidel (who has basically accurately predicted everyone’s first round picks during the draft the past few years) said we liked Korchinski.

Edit: Here’s the tweet. Our main guys were gone.

Oh yeah I’ll take Seidels word. He’s THE guy.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
2022 was Kasper for sure. Fast riser with solid tools, plays hard, less upside than the alternatives but who cares because he fits. Also getting taken by the 67s in the import draft prior to the NHL draft was a dead giveaway.

2023 is harder to say. Maybe Bonk or Barlow. Stramel was the most Sens-type pick on the board but he was a hilariously bad reach at 21, let alone at 12 where we would have been picking. Not that that hasn't stopped them before though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad