Speculation: If the Subban trade from Montreal to Edmonton occurred.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
You know that Draisaitl and Puljujarvi are not going to be elite at the age of 20 and 18? Please share with us your crystal ball.

Sorry meant to say Elite now. So I don't know the future but for this next season neither of those guys are Elite at their position. PK is Elite at his position and same for Weber.

Maybe in 3 or 4 years they will be, but MB can't wait 3 or 4 years. PRice contract is up in 2 years, and team just missed the playoffs last year. Its win or die time.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Friedman said today on TV after Draisaitl scored the OT winner that he's almost positive that Montreal wanted Draisaitl as part of the deal, and not Hall.

and how do the Oilers absorb 9M$ for the next 6 years by trading Drai as the main piece. Makes no sense.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
As a habs fan glad the trade with EDM didn't go down.

None of those pieces are going to be elite while to me both Weber and Subban are at their positions.

As for EDM they missed out. Subban is way better than Larsson AINEC. You deal with salary when the time comes but the team is way better with PK then without him. If the goal of the Oilers is to be competative and actually start winning hockey games they are better off with PK then without him.

Have fun with Weber then. You don't think one of Klefbom (#3D, possibly a #2), Puljujarvi (the third best prospect after Matthews and Laine), or Draisaitl (51 points last season so maybe a #2C?) ends up elite?

And even if they don't end up elite, that's still an incredible haul for just Subban. Giving up all of that for just Subban isn't "missing out," it's smart.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Sorry meant to say Elite now. So I don't know the future but for this next season neither of those guys are Elite at their position. PK is Elite at his position and same for Weber.

Maybe in 3 or 4 years they will be, but MB can't wait 3 or 4 years. PRice contract is up in 2 years, and team just missed the playoffs last year. Its win or die time.

Ok fair enough. I can understand why people would prefer Weber as win now, but I think Draisaitl and Klefbom are already quality contributors and are only going to get better as they enter their primes in the next 2-3 years. Even Puljujarvi I wouldn't be surprised if he is a decent contributor this season and he is a very intriguing package as a player.

Weber probably has a bigger impact this season, but I'm not sure it would stay that way even as early as next season.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Or, just trade eberle, and have a rnh/mcdavid/subban/hall core.

Sounds good to me.

Thats possible too, but if the ask was real then we'd also be losing Klefbom and Puljujarvi. It also seems that management wanted to make the transition towards it being Connor McDavid's team easier without a dominant personality in Hall around. McLellan is also a huge fan of guys who can play centre and guys with quality two way games. For that reason I can see why they preferred to keep Draisaitl and RNH over Hall.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The only defenceman with a contract as bad as Subbans is Weber. Now Subban is worth every penny of his contract but he will be leaving his prime as Mcdavid enters his. You'd also be looking at almost 20 million of cap hit for 2 players. So Subban for 9.5 or Klefbom and Larsson for around 9.5?

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
The only defenceman with a contract as bad as Subbans is Weber. Now Subban is worth every penny of his contract but he will be leaving his prime as Mcdavid enters his. You'd also be looking at almost 20 million of cap hit for 2 players. So Subban for 9.5 or Klefbom and Larsson for around 9.5?

Subban makes 9M and Subban at 9M > Larsson + Klef (both players and their salary combined)

The rumored asking price from MB was Draisaitl + Klef + #4 + another piece (reported by someone noteworthy but i forget who).

Of course it's also been stated that a deal wasn't close to getting done between MTL and EDM so theres that too.

AxlRose91*

So hockey fans..
After some time to relax about the hall trade and the subban trade. Are you glad the Oilers didn't trade Draisaitl + for subban?
Montreal fans, are you happy with Weber as the return? Would you have preferred Draisaitl + the 4th pick?
As an Oilers fan, Happy to keep Drai and trade Hall.

Subban is such an unbelievably unique talent. I'm still shocked that Nashville stole him for a past-his-prime Weber. That Weber contract is gonna be a huge anchor in about two years

I would definitely prefer Draisatl and the 4th overall pick. Not even close

This will go down as one of the worst trades in Montreal history. Worse than McDonagh and Higgins for Gomez. Way worse

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
If only it was Hall for Subban...

Thing was I thought that Hall was a terrific fit in Edmonton. No better team for him to be with.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
It wasn't Draisaitl + 4.

It was Draisaitl + 4 + Klefbom + at least one more significant piece.

Even that may have been off the table the moment CBJ selected PLD at 3.

This is ridicolous. I cant see how Habs actually thought they would get anything close to that. Probably just some **** Edm journalist said to make the fans feel better about it. Thats just extremely unrealistic.

Dont know if this is more true but i heard they wanted Drai+Klefbom and Chiarelli was pretty uniterested from the start because of Subban`s high cap hit.

Do people actually believe a gm like Chiarelli want a flashy player like PK unless he gets a huge discount? Would think he would be alot more interested in a guy like Weber just like the Habs management. Old style guys.....

oStealthKiller*

Master Monkey Herder
Jul 2, 2012
Edmonton
This is ridicolous. I cant see how Habs actually thought they would get anything close to that. Probably just some **** Edm journalist said to make the fans feel better about it. Thats just extremely unrealistic.

Dont know if this is more true but i heard they wanted Drai+Klefbom and Chiarelli was pretty uniterested from the start because of Subban`s high cap hit.

Do people actually believe a gm like Chiarelli want a flashy player like PK unless he gets a huge discount? Would think he would be alot more interested in a guy like Weber just like the Habs management. Old style guys.....

That hack is Elliot Friedman

And I personally value klef + Larsson at 8.3 more then subban at 9. But maybe that's just me

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
For Subbans salary its basically the same cost as Larsson and Lucic.

Obviously Chiarelli had Lucic lined up or he would not have yraded Hall

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Subban is such an unbelievably unique talent. I'm still shocked that Nashville stole him for a past-his-prime Weber. That Weber contract is gonna be a huge anchor in about two years

I would definitely prefer Draisatl and the 4th overall pick. Not even close

This will go down as one of the worst trades in Montreal history. Worse than McDonagh and Higgins for Gomez. Way worse

i do believe you have not done your homework on the weber contract. it was front end loaded to say the least. the last 4 yrs he will make 6 million in total. it will actually be a very attractive trade piece for teams wishing to get to the cap floor. boat anchor. lmao

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012

im curious as to how you figure that contract is bad from here on in.

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
So hockey fans..
After some time to relax about the hall trade and the subban trade. Are you glad the Oilers didn't trade Draisaitl + for subban?
Montreal fans, are you happy with Weber as the return? Would you have preferred Draisaitl + the 4th pick?
As an Oilers fan, Happy to keep Drai and trade Hall.

Pc said there were 15 to 17 # 1 d.
Tmac is a hsca d system coach and has a history of developing top hsca d.
He stated we needed a shutdown d.

Everyone is finally saying what i have pointed out for years.

The top off d are below average off PLAYERS.

273 of top 300 even scorers forwards.
Top136 of top 150 pp scorers forwards.

So for years now I have stated.
Defend the hsca area were 75 % of goals come on 10.5 of the shots.
Pas the forwrds the d........ Puck.

Subban is a brutal hsca d.
Weber was # 2 last year.

Problem was rinne has been a brutal hsca save % goalie last 2 years.
Price #1 hsca save % goalie .889
Weber #2 hsca d
7.5 x (1.000 - .889) = .83 evga/60

Subban bottom 60 hsca d
12.87 hsca shots x (.111) = 1.43 evga/60

He is what you call a playoff killer defensive dman.

Pc tonight was basically saying there was a heck of alot better dmen for what montreal asked.

Getting the best hsca; evga; pkga d in the game was what Tmac wanted.

I suspect when subban was mentioned Tmac layghed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad