Speculation: If the Subban trade from Montreal to Edmonton occurred.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I would have loved acquiring Draisaitl + Klefbom + 4th. I don't know how it'd work with our D pairings and if Petry would be the defacto #1 RHD, but it still would have been nice.

I can't complain about getting a top-10 defenseman in the deal that will probably be huge for Sergachev's growth, though.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
IMO Bergevin put his job security above the Habs' future. If he could've gotten Draisaitl and Puljujarvi (who gives a **** if he speaks French or not, are you building a hockey team or a diplomatic embassy?) for Subban and maybe could've pushed the Oilers to add in Darnell Nurse too ... they should've taken that and ran.

Signed Jason Demers, taken Sergachev with their own pick and in the long term the Habs franchise would've been better off IMO. Now maybe they win a Cup with Shea Weber, but I think it's more likely in 2 years you start to see a noticeable decline in his defensive abilities.

Draisaitl + Puljujarvi + Sergachev + Nurse would've set that franchise up for the next 10 years. Carey Price is still has lots of years left in the tank.

Instead Shea Weber, who's good, but really the main he'll do is keep the Habs in the playoffs for a couple more years which means Bergevin's job security is safe.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Subban and Hall would have accounted for $14m of the cap for the foreseeable future.

Add in McDavid's next deal and that might have been over $25 million for three players on a team that has yet to see a playoff game.

They may not have the big name draw that you want from your top pair but Klefbom and Larsson for slightly more than $8m between the two of them long-term will likely pay dividends in the long run.

I'll take the defensive depth and the centre depth over the big ticket guys.

Any Subban trade involving the oilers would guarantee a camp dump from the oilers or much more likely a player with big value to montreal. So yeah it would have been either Hall, Eberle or Nuge.
Its almost impossible to acquire a 9M contract in todays cap hit without sending any the other way.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
IMO Bergevin put his job security above the Habs' future. If he could've gotten Draisaitl and Puljujarvi (who gives a **** if he speaks French or not, are you building a hockey game or a diplomatic embassy?) for Subban and maybe could've pushed the Oilers to add in Darnell Nurse too ... they should've taken that and ran.

Signed Jason Demers, taken Sergachev with their own pick and in the long term the Habs franchise would've been better off IMO. Now maybe they win a Cup with Shea Weber, but I think it's more likely in 2 years you start to see a noticeable decline in his defensive abilities.

Draisaitl + Puljujarvi + Sergachev + Nurse would've set that franchise up for the next 10 years. Carey Price is still has lots of years left in the tank.

He signed Radulov. Hes better than Pulji for the foreseeable future. The habs still have Sergechev and Weber is better than Nurse. And the habs were serious with Dadonov and Shipacyov. Those 2 are quite good and still in their prime. Its quite obvious the Habs and MB want to win now and not hope things fall in place to compete for the cup in 5 years.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Its just an opinion on a rumor which he even admits is one that is a dream return (not realistic).

Who? Staples is saying its a dream return, but at the top of the article it says, "In his report, Friedman goes over a lot of things that were already known, such as the Habs’ ask from the Oilers, a package of players that included Leon Draisaitl, Edmonton’s fourth pick in the 2016 draft, a defenceman like Oscar Klefbom or Darnell Nurse, and another asset."

Personally, I think Friedman's a pretty solid source and he sound's pretty definitive to me. Staples is just chiming in with how crazy of a price that would have been to pay.

Edit: Here's the source for anyone wondering: http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...that-the-edmonton-oilers-passed-on-p-k-subban

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He signed Radulov. Hes better than Pulji for the foreseeable future. The habs still have Sergechev and Weber is better than Nurse. And the habs were serious with Dadonov and Shipacyov. Those 2 are quite good and still in their prime. Its quite obvious the Habs and MB want to win now and not hope things fall in place to compete for the cup in 5 years.

Puljujarvi is looking pretty freaking good already. Oilers might've hit the jack pot in fluking out into that pick. 6 foot 4 to boot, kid is massive and skates like the wind. Would not surprise me if he's even better than Draisaitl, and Draisaitl looks like an absolute stud at the WC.

IMO Bergevin bumbled this. He had the Oilers by the balls, but got too unreasonable because he knows he'd get fired if he didn't get an immediate return for Subban. He put his job security above getting the best possible return though IMO.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Puljujarvi is looking pretty freaking good already. Oilers might've hit the jack pot in fluking out into that pick. 6 foot 4 to boot, kid is massive and skates like the wind.

I would take a 30 year old Radulov, still in his prime, over Pulji any day of the week for the upcoming season. Assuming Radulov stays elite. it will be like 3-5 years before Pulji can be a better player and for a team like the habs, radulov would be a more attractive player.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I would take a 30 year old Radulov, still in his prime, over Pulji any day of the week for the upcoming season. Assuming Radulov stays elite. it will be like 3-5 years before Pulji can be a better player and for a team like the habs, radulov would be a more attractive player.

A Puljujarvi who hasn't played in like five months just racked up 6 points in 2 tournament games for the Oilers. He's going to be a big time player I think (not just based on those 2 games, obviously, but he just shows well at every event he goes to).

Skating, size, shot, vision, I.Q., he's got everything, I think in some ways honestly he's better than Laine.

If the Habs win a Cup with Radulov and Weber, then Bergevin was in the right, but I think it's more likely they don't and in 2 years you have Weber declining and Radulov too (most forwards do not get better after age 31/32). Even if you had gotten Puljujarvi, there's nothing to say you couldn't add Radulov too anyway.

IMO Bergevin knows as long as the Habs make the playoffs, his job is safe, and that was his no.1 priority.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
An even better question:

Would NSH have preferred Draisatl + 4th (+ possibly Klefbom?) for Weber instead of Subban.

I would have to think they would...

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
A Puljujarvi who hasn't played in like five months just racked up 6 points in 2 tournament games for the Oilers. He's going to be a big time player I think.

Skating, size, shot, vision, I.Q., he's got everything, I think in some ways honestly he's better than Laine.

If the Habs win a Cup with Radulov and Weber, then Bergevin was in the right, but I think it's more likely they don't and in 2 years you have Weber declining and Radulov too (most forwards do not get better after age 31/32).

I really dont doubt that. Yes he is really good but hes just 18 years old and players his age take some years before being top liners. Look at Bennet (36 points), Ehlers (38 points), even Eichel (56 points). Radulov seems ready to produce as a top liner and provide 65+ points.
If I was looking long term, pulji would be an easy choice.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I really dont doubt that. Yes he is really good but hes just 18 years old and players his age take some years before being top liners. Look at Bennet (36 points), Ehlers (38 points), even Eichel (56 points). Radulov seems ready to produce as a top liner and provide 65+ points.
If I was looking long term, pulji would be an easy choice.

It doesn't really even have to be either/or. You could still sign Radulov and bring Puljujarvi up a little slower.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
A Puljujarvi who hasn't played in like five months just racked up 6 points in 2 tournament games for the Oilers. He's going to be a big time player I think (not just based on those 2 games, obviously, but he just shows well at every event he goes to).

If the Habs win a Cup with Radulov and Weber, then Bergevin was in the right, but I think it's more likely they don't and in 2 years you have Weber declining and Radulov too (most forwards do not get better after age 31/32). Even if you had gotten Puljujarvi, there's nothing to say you couldn't add Radulov too anyway.

IMO Bergevin knows as long as the Habs make the playoffs, his job is safe, and that was his no.1 priority.

I dont see the habs going after Radulov if they already have 2 top 6 RW.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Depends. If the habs wanna win in the nest 3 years, easily Weber.
If they would have taken their time to be a stronger team when they are ready to contend, then obviously, Draistl (or Hall) and the 4OA.

I really doubt the proposal was Hall/Drai + 4OA + Klefbom. Friedman said the Oilers were not that serious and offering those 3 pieces would mean they were more than just being serious.
It was prob Hall (6M) + 4OA for Subban (9M) and not Draistl.
I would rather Weber than Hall and what you hope becomes a top 6 winger. The habs need to win a cup with Pacs and Price still around.

Friedman said today on TV after Draisaitl scored the OT winner that he's almost positive that Montreal wanted Draisaitl as part of the deal, and not Hall.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
As a habs fan glad the trade with EDM didn't go down.

None of those pieces are going to be elite while to me both Weber and Subban are at their positions.

As for EDM they missed out. Subban is way better than Larsson AINEC. You deal with salary when the time comes but the team is way better with PK then without him. If the goal of the Oilers is to be competative and actually start winning hockey games they are better off with PK then without him.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Jesse still needs sheltering, so that wouldn't be an issue.

then a RW combo of Radulov, Gallagher and Pulji would have been ridiculously good lol.
LW would have been Pacs, Hall and Lehkonen.
But the habas have an awful D corpse for the next 2 years or so.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
As a habs fan glad the trade with EDM didn't go down.

None of those pieces are going to be elite while to me both Weber and Subban are at their positions.

As for EDM they missed out. Subban is way better than Larsson AINEC. You deal with salary when the time comes but the team is way better with PK then without him. If the goal of the Oilers is to be competative and actually start winning hockey games they are better off with PK then without him.

You know that Draisaitl and Puljujarvi are not going to be elite at the age of 20 and 18? Please share with us your crystal ball.

hockey8686

May 25, 2016
then a RW combo of Radulov, Gallagher and Pulji would have been ridiculously good lol.
LW would have been Pacs, Hall and Lehkonen.
But the habas have an awful D corpse for the next 2 years or so.

With a goalie like price you can afford to have an ok defense

Mad Brills*

Subban and Hall would have accounted for $14m of the cap for the foreseeable future.

Add in McDavid's next deal and that might have been over $25 million for three players on a team that has yet to see a playoff game.

They may not have the big name draw that you want from your top pair but Klefbom and Larsson for slightly more than $8m between the two of them long-term will likely pay dividends in the long run.

I'll take the defensive depth and the centre depth over the big ticket guys.

Then you trade hall for subban and save yourself from lucic.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Puljujarvi is looking pretty freaking good already. Oilers might've hit the jack pot in fluking out into that pick. 6 foot 4 to boot, kid is massive and skates like the wind. Would not surprise me if he's even better than Draisaitl, and Draisaitl looks like an absolute stud at the WC.

IMO Bergevin bumbled this. He had the Oilers by the balls, but got too unreasonable because he knows he'd get fired if he didn't get an immediate return for Subban. He put his job security above getting the best possible return though IMO.

Well MB wants his team to win a cup within the next 2 years not wait around for prospects and futures. We have AG and Pleks as our C's for this and next year. PK is an elite 1D, Draisitle is not an elite 1C. If that trade happens the team downgrades at D but doesn't really upgrade at C. AG and Pleks can provide just as many if not more points at center than LD. Klefboom/Nurse are not 1D's and can't step in and replace PK. Last point is Price is the franchise and downgrading our D for scoring is not the type of team MTL has. OTOH Weber though not as flash as PK still had 20G last year 51 PTS and is perfect for protecting Price.

If MB did a trade with EDM might as well move Markov/Pleks as well because its practically a rebuild.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Then you trade hall for subban and save yourself from lucic.

If Montreal wanted Hall the deal would have been done on Edmonton's end almost assuredly. The asking price wasn't worth it, and management did not seem very open to moving Draisaitl, which frankly I can't blame them for. He's trending as the perfect #2C behind McDavid, and if the team can find a way to keep Nuge as well long-term then that will be one of the deepest centre groups of any team in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad