Speculation: IF the Leafs don’t look legit

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
In a scenario where the Leafs do not look like a true contender on the ice and place third in the Atlantic, do you keep Tavares and Marner as own rentals or trade them away?
Considering they both have NMC's, it's a rather silly question. I think if they were gonna trade Marner, it would have happened after this season.

Right now I think both of these players end up playing out their contracts and its off to free agency.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Considering they both have NMC's, it's a rather silly question. I think if they were gonna trade Marner, it would have happened after this season.

Right now I think both of these players end up playing out their contracts and it’s off to free agency.
If Tavares hasn’t had it with the team he’s had with his family and agent and I suspect he’s wants to be moved to a contender at the TDL.

I don’t know if Marner prioritizes contending this season and his ideal scenario to maximize his next contract would be to get 100 points and have the team miss the playoffs.

Management sees an opportunity to add a couple of new players, get a little bump, and sell some jerseys.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
If Tavares hasn’t had it with the team he’s had with his family and agent and I suspect he’s wants to be moved to a contender at the TDL.

I don’t know if Marner prioritizes contending this season and his ideal scenario to maximize his next contract would be to get 100 points and have the team miss the playoffs.

Management sees an opportunity to add a couple of new players, get a little bump, and sell some jerseys.

How would missing the playoffs help Marner? If the Leafs miss the playoffs, he’ll be the first one out the door and no one else is going to give him $12m+.

If he actually puts it together in the playoffs, they’ll open up the vault for him.

Reactions: bax and Confucius

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
How would missing the playoffs help Marner? If the Leafs miss the playoffs, he’ll be the first one out the door and no one else is going to give him $12m+.

If he actually puts it together in the playoffs, they’ll open up the vault for him.
If he gets 100+ points and doesn’t have to expose himself to the playoffs he’s much better off.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
They were 21-21 at the halfway mark last year.

When do they decide to pull the trigger. How far down the rabbit hole do they need to go. If they aren't better than a .500 team halfway through this season heads should be rolling.

Not just the coach either.

There's already a crisis of confidence among fans. The team regularly comes in bottom of league polls. Expecting the greatest fan base in the world to continue accepting mediocrity at this point is unbridled arrogance.

Boo Marner and strip Tavares of the C.

Both those guys can pound pavement if they lose in the first round again. And if they aren't even in a playoffs position by the halfway point the entire front office should be hitting the bricks with them. Up til now regular season success has been the only things fans have had to cheer for.

If they don't even have that this year what do they expect fans to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafGrief

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Is everyone going to wake up with amnesia and forget the last five years?

The only way he changes the narrative at this point is by going to the playoffs and performing.
When he hits FA, everyone will believe he’s the answer.

If he was a good playoff player there would be no issue and he’d be signed by the Leafs now.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The Leafs are stacked with multiple generational players. These guys will go down in history as all-time greats, perhaps the best Leaf players that have ever taken to the ice, they are locks to be in the HOF and on legends row, and the team is therefore a top contender. Gotta go allin at the TDL, otherwise what kind of message does that send to the players? ;)

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
21-12-8 for 50

Overtime losses aren't included in winning percentage.

It's great they get an extra point for losing in overtime. Good on them for that. But using points percentage only obfuscates their actual won-loss record.

Which at 21-21, or .500 if you prefer, wasn't very good after 42 games played last year.

Reactions: Nineteen67

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The Leafs are stacked with multiple generational players. These guys will go down in history as all-time greats, perhaps the best Leaf players that have ever taken to the ice, they are locks to be in the HOF and on legends row, and the team is therefore a top contender. Gotta go allin at the TDL, otherwise what kind of message does that send to the players? ;)
Marner and Nylander are not generational players. As for legends row, I suggest this picture of the 3 of them for their statues.

1723037468361.png

Reactions: rumman

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I doubt JT allows himself to be traded and wants to return on a lighter contract. Marner should be traded before he becomes a UFA unless they are working on an extention. Hard to say if the return would exceed his own rental value

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I doubt JT allows himself to be traded and wants to return on a lighter contract. Marner should be traded before he becomes a UFA unless they are working on an extention. Hard to say if the return would exceed his own rental value
What if JT wants a chance to win a Cup? There’s got to be a couple of places he’d consider

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad