Line Combos: Ideal Lines Vs. Projected Lines 2024/2025

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Here's mine for the beginning of the season (unless some young player seriously impresses):

Neighbours - Thomas - Kyrou
Texier- Buchnevich - Bolduc
Saad - Holloway - Schenn
Toropchenko - Faksa - M. Joseph

Walker, Kapanen (Sundqvist being on short term IR).

(Don't think Sundqvist is going to be ready for the season, but the lines look very solid to me. Fourth line is going to be a bitch for teams to play against, and the third line should be intriguing with Holloway centering it with two veterans. Don't think Dean or Dvorsky join immediately, and yes, I'd love to try Holloway at center with his face-off percentage and two-way play. I'd let him make his mistakes there.)

Leddy - Parayko
Broberg - Faulk
P.O. Joseph/Suter - Kessel

P.O. Joseph/Suter

(Wouldn't be surprised in the slightest to see the younger Joseph supplant Suter, especially over the course of a long season. Wouldn't be surprised to see a young defenseman emerge later on as well. I'd definitely put Broberg with Faulk, allow him to make his mistakes and grow as a defenseman.)

Binnington
Hofer

(We'll see how our goalies do. Zherenko and Ellis are at the doorstep, especially with a bounce-back year from the former and/or a continued breakthrough from the latter.)

Around the trade deadline (and potentially later on in the season), I could imagine it being something like this:

Buchnevich - Thomas - Kyrou
Neighbours - Holloway - Bolduc
Texier - Dvorsky - Snuggerud
Toropchenko - Dean - Schenn

Walker, Sundqvist

(Putting Dvorsky and Snuggerud on the third line to let them acclimate to the NHL. Should be an awesome competition for the second-line center and right wing. Dean, I think/hope, would have nothing more to prove at the AHL.)

Leddy / Parayko
Broberg / Faulk
Buchinger / Kessel

Loof

(I've been a Leo Loof fan ever since we drafted him, you gotta give me my due. I also think Buchinger would be that power-play quarterback that we'd be missing without Krug. As a sixth-defenseman PP QB, I think that would be a steal.)

Binnington
Hofer

(Unless Binnington gets traded during the year, I bet he stays...for now.)

Next year should be especially intriguing with potentially Stenberg, Lindstein, and - maybe, just maybe, I kinda hope - Zherenko (if he bounces back) joining the team, along with Pekarcik in the AHL (I believe for starters, until he's ready). Nix Krug and a lot of the other players, add a few draft picks (a second for Saad, picks for the Josephs, Suter, Faksa, and Kapanen. Depending on if some team does a crazy offer for Binnington (especially if Hofer and Zherenko take a giant step forward), I probably would take that offer. If Broberg really becomes the Bouwmeester replacement I hope he can be, we could possibly even get a good haul for Leddy. Then you've got something like this:

Buchnevich - Thomas - Kyrou
Neighbours - Dvorsky - Snuggerud
Stenberg - Holloway - Bolduc
Texier - Dean - Toropchenko

Schenn, Walker

Broberg - Parayko
Lindstein - Faulk
Buchinger - Kessel

Loof

Hofer/Zherenko

That all is not including the assets we could accumulate via further trade or draft, or if any other forward or defenseman takes a huge step forward.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
That top 6 would look a lot thinner without Buch in the short term so it’s prob for the best they didn’t trade him for a 1st considering how things played out this summer.
It would be interesting to know what was going through Armstrong’s mind during those trade talks with Edmonton at the deadline. Broberg and Holloway undoubtedly would have been the guys we were asking for as part of the package, and I’m curious if he had a feeling back then that he could potentially pull this off.

Probably not, but I can see it playing out…

Armstrong: Well if you’re interested in Buch, we need both Broberg and Holloway included.

Holland: well we can offer one of them, plus a pick and cap dump. But not both.

Army: we need both.

Holland: you’re not going to get both.

Army: *dead silence*

Holland: …you still there?

Army: ……..

Holland: Doug??

Army: *evil laughing*

- line disconnects -

Holland: wtf was that?

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I think Army is shooting hard for the playoffs this year and start the turnaround now. That makes me glad we kept Buch, because I was pushing hard to sell him off for picks and prospects.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
If Sylevgârd is another Toropchenko type, then I will be very stoked. Players like Torp make the team. If Sylvy is as good as Torp, then he is going to make the team. Having two annoying af guys on the roster would be great. Blais was a hitter, but not annoying. Torp is all of the above, but needs a partner in crime.

Reactions: Memento

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
If Sylevgârd is another Toropchenko type, then I will be very stoked. Players like Torp make the team. If Sylvy is as good as Torp, then he is going to make the team. Having two annoying af guys on the roster would be great. Blais was a hitter, but not annoying. Torp is all of the above, but needs a partner in crime.

What’s the scouting report on him?

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
What’s the scouting report on him?
From ElitePropsects: Sylvegård is one flashy player, who stands out with his great speed and physical play. Owns a terrific shot. Aren't afraid to show emotions on the ice. Lacks a bit of routine to control himself whenever the game heats up a bit. - David Enbom (2019).

Reactions: Mike Liut

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
From ElitePropsects: Sylvegård is one flashy player, who stands out with his great speed and physical play. Owns a terrific shot. Aren't afraid to show emotions on the ice. Lacks a bit of routine to control himself whenever the game heats up a bit. - David Enbom (2019).

Damn, he sounds legit. I didn’t even have him on my radar. I love physical, high motor guys who can bring it nightly. If I’m running things, my bottom 6 are going to be these type of players who will beat you down and make you hate playing the St Louis Blues. Remember the cup run when Barbs, Sunny and Blais were punishing you every game? That’s playoff hockey

Reactions: OSA and Memento

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Damn, he sounds legit. I didn’t even have him on my radar. I love physical, high motor guys who can bring it nightly. If I’m running things, my bottom 6 are going to be these type of players who will beat you down and make you hate playing the St Louis Blues. Remember the cup run when Barbs, Sunny and Blais were punishing you every game? That’s playoff hockey
Me neither, but Blanick had to go and mess it all up again with yet another good player. Can't wait to see Sylvy in TC.

greybush314

Dec 23, 2020
Something has to give. I can't see the Blues going into training camp with so many one way deals and a few elc's that are locks to make the team. Sylvegård would have likely been given assurances that he had a spot because he had a bunch of offers. I know competition is great but trying to send guys down that are NHL players is a bad look. Army made remarks about Bolduc yesterday that leads me to believe he's on the team so there is another guy. As others have said, it really seems like Saad is looking like the odd man out. Move out Saad and Faulk(if they waive their ntc's) and recoup the picks we lost.

Neighbours-Thomas-Bolduc
Holloway-Buchnevich-Kyrou
Texier-Schenn-Sylvegård
Joseph-Faksa-Toropchenko

Broberg-Parayko
Leddy-Kessel
Joseph-Perunovich
Suter

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Something has to give. I can't see the Blues going into training camp with so many one way deals and a few elc's that are locks to make the team. Sylvegård would have likely been given assurances that he had a spot because he had a bunch of offers. I know competition is great but trying to send guys down that are NHL players is a bad look. Army made remarks about Bolduc yesterday that leads me to believe he's on the team so there is another guy. As others have said, it really seems like Saad is looking like the odd man out. Move out Saad and Faulk(if they waive their ntc's) and recoup the picks we lost.

Neighbours-Thomas-Bolduc
Holloway-Buchnevich-Kyrou
Texier-Schenn-Sylvegård
Joseph-Faksa-Toropchenko

Broberg-Parayko
Leddy-Kessel
Joseph-Perunovich
Suter
Why are we moving Faulk? That seems like a ridiculous idea.

STLegend

Blanketing opinions that I'll probably regret soon
Feb 20, 2010
Montanuh
I went back and watched some of Sylvegard's SHL highlights, his skating style and shot reminds me of Milan Lucic.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I think the center depth is 1 Thomas, 2 Schenn, 3 Holloway, 4 Faksa

And then build the wings from there.

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Idk why we would put Buch at Center again after it failed spectacularly last season.
Last 15 games of the season he had 13 points and a -2 while a quite a bit of that he want centering Kyrou and Saad so I wouldn't call it failing spectacularly, and Armstrong has came out and said a couple times they are penciling Buch into the Center spot this offseason.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
Here's my ideal start to the season. Top 6 looks like this:

Bolduc - Thomas - Schenn
Neighbors - Buch - Kyrou

Some people might be surprised to see Thomas without Buch or Kyrou, but here's my thinking - I've always admired the way that Chicago balanced it's lineup during it's Cup runs. Toews and Hossa formed a dynamic duo on the top line, with Kane basically hard-carrying the second line. I don't think Buch or Kyrou has the talent to do the carrying of a line on their own. However, they are now two of our top three highest paid players. Thomas, on the other hand, has proven that he can basically play with anyone and have success. Things can always change as the year goes on, and Buch/Thomas/Kyrou will all be on the PP1 imo. I'd like to start with this though, and see if we can have two scary lines instead of one scary line and then some hopes and dreams.

Bottom 6:

Saad - Holloway - Tex/Joseph
Toro - Faksa - Tex/Joseph

Saad is going to score 20-25 goals no matter what, many of them at even strength. He doesn't really score at a higher clip with better or worse players, b/c most of his goals come off individual efforts (He's a breakaway god) or hard work/timing/touch around the net. I see no reason to elevate him into the top 6, especially since he also doesn't really bring much creativity or generate a lot for others. He's an incredibly fascinating player, maybe even the ideal 3rd liner. I honestly think he could score 25ish goals with either AHL linemates or with McDrai, but never more or less. Tex/Holloway can both try out for the 3C position, but Tex has never been really good on faceoffs and has mostly played Wing, whereas Holloway has some solid faceoff numbers. I want Toro stapled to the 4th line, the kid gives his all, but he has hands of stone. Let him go all-out on a forecheck for 7-9 minutes a game and tell him to hit everything that moves, any offense from him is a bonus. (Yes, I do know that there was once upon a time I felt very similar towards another Russian player with a long name, and he turned out better then I expected. I will happily be wrong twice, but I don't see it.)

Extras are Kap/Walker/Sunny(IR). I'm sure we'll need all these guys over the course of the season, as we won't have the same injury luck as last year. They are all good players to plug in and get maximum effort out of.

D:

I'm interested in a Broberg-Parayko pairing, but not with the way we have been deploying our D (Especially Parayko) since AP left. The smart money is on:

Leddy - Parayko
Broberg - Faulk
Suter - Kessel

I think that looks pretty balanced. I think Joseph, Peru, and Tucker battle it out in camp for the 7th spot, with Joseph having the inside track at the moment. We've seen Peru and Tucker for two years now - Tucker can't skate, and Peru is a PP merchant who doesn't shoot.

Then of course we have Binner and Hofer, with Zherenko waiting in the wings.

All in all, I think we're in a much better spot then we were at the beginning of the off-season. Dean, Dvo, Snuggy, et all can continue to grow in the right environments with no need to rush.

Nice job Doug.

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018
Here's my ideal start to the season. Top 6 looks like this:

Bolduc - Thomas - Schenn
Neighbors - Buch - Kyrou

Some people might be surprised to see Thomas without Buch or Kyrou, but here's my thinking - I've always admired the way that Chicago balanced it's lineup during it's Cup runs. Toews and Hossa formed a dynamic duo on the top line, with Kane basically hard-carrying the second line. I don't think Buch or Kyrou has the talent to do the carrying of a line on their own. However, they are now two of our top three highest paid players. Thomas, on the other hand, has proven that he can basically play with anyone and have success. Things can always change as the year goes on, and Buch/Thomas/Kyrou will all be on the PP1 imo. I'd like to start with this though, and see if we can have two scary lines instead of one scary line and then some hopes and dreams.

Bottom 6:

Saad - Holloway - Tex/Joseph
Toro - Faksa - Tex/Joseph

Saad is going to score 20-25 goals no matter what, many of them at even strength. He doesn't really score at a higher clip with better or worse players, b/c most of his goals come off individual efforts (He's a breakaway god) or hard work/timing/touch around the net. I see no reason to elevate him into the top 6, especially since he also doesn't really bring much creativity or generate a lot for others. He's an incredibly fascinating player, maybe even the ideal 3rd liner. I honestly think he could score 25ish goals with either AHL linemates or with McDrai, but never more or less. Tex/Holloway can both try out for the 3C position, but Tex has never been really good on faceoffs and has mostly played Wing, whereas Holloway has some solid faceoff numbers. I want Toro stapled to the 4th line, the kid gives his all, but he has hands of stone. Let him go all-out on a forecheck for 7-9 minutes a game and tell him to hit everything that moves, any offense from him is a bonus. (Yes, I do know that there was once upon a time I felt very similar towards another Russian player with a long name, and he turned out better then I expected. I will happily be wrong twice, but I don't see it.)

Extras are Kap/Walker/Sunny(IR). I'm sure we'll need all these guys over the course of the season, as we won't have the same injury luck as last year. They are all good players to plug in and get maximum effort out of.

D:

I'm interested in a Broberg-Parayko pairing, but not with the way we have been deploying our D (Especially Parayko) since AP left. The smart money is on:

Leddy - Parayko
Broberg - Faulk
Suter - Kessel

I think that looks pretty balanced. I think Joseph, Peru, and Tucker battle it out in camp for the 7th spot, with Joseph having the inside track at the moment. We've seen Peru and Tucker for two years now - Tucker can't skate, and Peru is a PP merchant who doesn't shoot.

Then of course we have Binner and Hofer, with Zherenko waiting in the wings.

All in all, I think we're in a much better spot then we were at the beginning of the off-season. Dean, Dvo, Snuggy, et all can continue to grow in the right environments with no need to rush.

Nice job Doug.

Personally I like these lines. Going to be interested to see Bolduc in camp. Hopefully he has a good camp and makes the team because your lines are what I would like to see. Also don't forget about Marcus Sylvegard. I wouldn't be shocked if he made the team too. I think Walker will be one of the extra forwards for sure.

Only thing I could see the Blues doing would be switching Neighbours & Schenn. The only REASON is because Buch was atrocious with face-offs so it gives them a 2nd option on that line for face-offs. Schenn could take face-offs and Buch can go to center after the draw if he is still struggling with face-offs.

With Bolduc

Bolduc-Thomas-Neighbours/Schenn
Schenn/Neighbours-Buch-Kyrou
Saad-Holloway-Texier
Joseph-Faksa-Torp

Walker & Kap/Sylvegard extras. Sunny on IR.

Leddy-Parayko
Broberg-Faulk
Suter-Kessel

Without Bolduc

Saad-Thomas-Neighbours/Schenn
Schenn/Neighbours-Buch-Kyrou
Joseph/Torp-Holloway-Texier
Torp/Joseph-Faksa-Walker/Kap

Kap/Sylvegard

Leddy-Parayko
Broberg-Faulk
Suter-Kessel

Last edited:

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Texier is in a very privileged position. Take advantage, son!!! A 3rd line slot is yours. Fit in!

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Texier is in a very privileged position. Take advantage, son!!! A 3rd line slot is yours. Fit in!
It would be fantastic if Tex or Holloway can come into the season and take a stranglehold on that 3rd line Center spot. We are flooded with quality winger prospects. Dvorsky looks to be destined for that 2C behind Thomas and while Dean does have 3C potential, he could easily peak as a 4C.

Reactions: Drubilly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad