Post-Game Talk: I don't have anything clever to put in the thread title

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
thinking about it, you gotta wonder how many guys just ran out of gas. not Zibanejad because he played at half throttle all season, but Panarin was being double shifted in November and Trocheck was taking like every defensive zone faceoff all season. Schneider really hit a wall in the playoffs too.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
We seen Kreider with Derek Stepan and had no issues. Of course the issue is Mika. We need a Stepan type of center to play with Kreider. Sadly you need to draft those. Mika too soft for playoff hockey. It's pathetic
Did Kreider ever score over 30 with Stepan? Or anyone else?

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
thinking about it, you gotta wonder how many guys just ran out of gas. not Zibanejad because he played at half throttle all season, but Panarin was being double shifted in November and Trocheck was taking like every defensive zone faceoff all season. Schneider really hit a wall in the playoffs too.
Yeah, I think our lack of depth leading to fatigue is another issue.

Everyone agreed that our lack of a bottom six was a problem. The deadline didn't fix it.

Drury's deadlines make me sad.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Reactions: majordomo

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Extremely poor/nonexistent depth is a staple of Drury. I don’t think he’s even aware there is a third line

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
I forgot where i read or heard this, but Stanley cup teams tend to not overuse top forwards (ie they run 4 lines) suring the playoffs, however, they also lean more into their top 4 d during the run than usual.

We leaned on trouba, lindgren and a broken fox. And also leaned hard on our top 6 forwards.

Bondra slapshot

Jul 21, 2009
it was a good run, just not quite there. I thought Laviolette did a great job. I still remember his presser less than a year ago and he said the goal was just to "get to workin". He took a team that got bounced in the first series against the Devils last year and got them to play as a president's trophy team and to the ECF. He deserves some credit for that.

At this point, it comes down to Drury. I've read a lot of the takes here and I can say I agree with majority of the sentiments but I do tend to deviate from the idea that your best players have to be your best players. Of course you always want that but when I look at the stats, star players often underperform relative to what you expect from them in the playoffs. Star players get game-planned against, they often get double shifted to exhaustion, they often find themselves dealing with the playoff atmosphere of trap-like defense in the neutral zone, tight checking in their offensive zone and you have players sliding across the ice and throwing their bodies in most passing and shooting lanes virtually every shift. Not to mention, you definitely have to eat a hit if you want to try to get inside unlike the regular season.

Did Aho light us up? Between Reinhart, Verhaeghe, Tkachuk and Barkov, they really didn't score much across a 6 game series. Matthews, probably the best pure goal scorer in the league, his team can't get out of the first round. MacKinnon got I think like 4 goals across 11'ish games this past playoffs before his team got bounced. I don't think the narrative that star players often or need to score a lot of goals is accurate. Historically, there are many different archetypes of teams that have won the cup. It's multifactorial, there's more than one way for a team to get assembled and output a winning formula.

I'm not trying to defend Zib, but I also don't think if you turned him into a more offensive player, all of a sudden we win, nor do I think that should even be the biggest priority. I think Zib actually could be part of a winning team. I think what really hurt the Rangers was lack of depth scoring. Stars tend to underperform in terms of production in the playoffs, while unsung heroes and unsuspected players rise. There's a reason why this dynamic exists. We needed more from lines 3 and 4. Goodrow was amazing but other than him, we really got nothing. Even if we just got a few more goals sprinkled here and there from the bottom lines, the outcome could've been wildly different.

I think Drury's biggest fault here was not getting the proper bottom 6 arrangement. Also, stabilizing the defense would be right behind that. But I don't think ridding Zib off this team in exchange for a higher offensive guy (even if it were possible) does much to be honest. That next player will just get stifled like most stars do. That's a common theme in the playoffs. You need your depth to step up since they're not really getting game-planned.

Who scored goals 1 and 2 for the Panthers yesterday? the Bennets and Tarasenkos.

Reactions: FUZfan

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Extremely poor/nonexistent depth is a staple of Drury. I don’t think he’s even aware there is a third line
I can’t really blame the guy, Vinny Trocheck was our 3rd line center to start the season. Then Chytil gets hurt and it changes everything. I mean sure he could do better if he didn’t have so much money tied up in Goodrow, Trouba, etc. but I think focusing on the depth when the top players once again did absolutely nothing is not the answer.

Wtp99

May 8, 2021
Bro, Rempe is going to play more next year. He literally is two years ahead of when he was supposed to debut.

Unlike say a Kakko, he strikes me as someone who will do whatever he has to do to improve. I wouldn't be surprised if he spends the summer taking power skating lessons and Jujitsu. He looks like the kind of guy who will want to be a PKer as soon as this fall.
How about just for s and g play Rempe with Krieder and Zibanajad in the preseason

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
I can’t really blame the guy, Vinny Trocheck was our 3rd line center to start the season. Then Chytil gets hurt and it changes everything. I mean sure he could do better if he didn’t have so much money tied up in Goodrow, Trouba, etc. but I think focusing on the depth when the top players once again did absolutely nothing is not the answer.
Not sure why anyone thinks Drury has even tried to move out those players. Nothing about the way the team uses them suggests they recognize they’re below replacement level liabilities

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

This is it.

Barclay Goodrow scored more goals in this series than our big 3 did combined. I think it’s fair to say that the 3rd line wasn’t good and needs to be improved but it’s really taking the attention away from where it belongs.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
This is it.

Barclay Goodrow scored more goals in this series than our big 3 did combined. I think it’s fair to say that the 3rd line wasn’t good and needs to be improved but it’s really taking the attention away from where it belongs.
Exactly. I think Zibanejad being a 30% xGF player against other top centers in the playoffs is a bit more of a problem than whether or not Wennberg is the 3rd line center or someone slightly better. Two years ago the kid line was the 3rd line and they were our best line in the playoffs. Tired of hearing about the depth.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
Been saying now for 2 years Jones should get a steady chance on d. He only did because of the injuries and that was the best hockey we saw all year.
Also was because Trouba was out but still.
I'm still not convinced this coach gives him a long leash and plays him from day 1 next year.
Instead we have to play already over the hill 30 plus year old guys.
It's crazy. It's so aggravating. They look better, one asks "well why don't they do this all the time?" and they go right back to the regularly scheduled dysfunction. And half the fans happily say "well you can't play Jones he's too small."

It's crazy.

Reactions: bl02

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Was told? Not his decision? Where did you see this?
i should correct myself. i have no proof he was told not to invest too much into this team other than the fact that Dolan wanted to keep the first, and from the generic players he wound up bringing in.

to me it seems obvious that this core was on the spot to deliver

I've seen enough of this core to know they will need substantial talent to get this spot again and possibly go further.

if you can't move these guys, you should at least support them, until their contracts expire.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Still not sure why he went away from Ck and Mika with Ros, and Cuylle Wenn and Kakko.

Not that Ros was good, but he was the best of the bunch with who they tried there.

Chytil was garbage, not his fault, was great to see him just come back, but he should have been a scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad