Post-Game Talk: I don't have anything clever to put in the thread title

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
Bro, Rempe is going to play more next year. He literally is two years ahead of when he was supposed to debut.

Unlike say a Kakko, he strikes me as someone who will do whatever he has to do to improve. I wouldn't be surprised if he spends the summer taking power skating lessons and Jujitsu. He looks like the kind of guy who will want to be a PKer as soon as this fall.
I'll wait and see. I hope he does. He needs to play somewhere, whether with the Rangers or in Hartford. He needs to become a player who can play a regular shift.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
it was a good run, just not quite there. I thought Laviolette did a great job. I still remember his presser less than a year ago and he said the goal was just to "get to workin". He took a team that got bounced in the first series against the Devils last year and got them to play as a president's trophy team and to the ECF. He deserves some credit for that.

At this point, it comes down to Drury. I've read a lot of the takes here and I can say I agree with majority of the sentiments but I do tend to deviate from the idea that your best players have to be your best players. Of course you always want that but when I look at the stats, star players often underperform relative to what you expect from them in the playoffs. Star players get game-planned against, they often get double shifted to exhaustion, they often find themselves dealing with the playoff atmosphere of trap-like defense in the neutral zone, tight checking in their offensive zone and you have players sliding across the ice and throwing their bodies in most passing and shooting lanes virtually every shift. Not to mention, you definitely have to eat a hit if you want to try to get inside unlike the regular season.

Did Aho light us up? Between Reinhart, Verhaeghe, Tkachuk and Barkov, they really didn't score much across a 6 game series. Matthews, probably the best pure goal scorer in the league, his team can't get out of the first round. MacKinnon got I think like 4 goals across 11'ish games this past playoffs before his team got bounced. I don't think the narrative that star players often or need to score a lot of goals is accurate. Historically, there are many different archetypes of teams that have won the cup. It's multifactorial, there's more than one way for a team to get assembled and output a winning formula.

I'm not trying to defend Zib, but I also don't think if you turned him into a more offensive player, all of a sudden we win, nor do I think that should even be the biggest priority. I think Zib actually could be part of a winning team. I think what really hurt the Rangers was lack of depth scoring. Stars tend to underperform in terms of production in the playoffs, while unsung heroes and unsuspected players rise. There's a reason why this dynamic exists. We needed more from lines 3 and 4. Goodrow was amazing but other than him, we really got nothing. Even if we just got a few more goals sprinkled here and there from the bottom lines, the outcome could've been wildly different.

I think Drury's biggest fault here was not getting the proper bottom 6 arrangement. Also, stabilizing the defense would be right behind that. But I don't think ridding Zib off this team in exchange for a higher offensive guy (even if it were possible) does much to be honest. That next player will just get stifled like most stars do. That's a common theme in the playoffs. You need your depth to step up since they're not really getting game-planned.

Who scored goals 1 and 2 for the Panthers yesterday? the Bennets and Tarasenkos.

Put the points argument aside Mika was turning pucks over way too much , couldn't hit the net and wasn't near physical enough. If he's hurt that's one thing but it was kind of the way he was most of the year, and that's concerning

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Depressing, gonna take some time to get over and process

Felt like this coulda been the year, Igor stole the show and got them up 2 games to 1 and kept it a series right until the end, despite the ice being tilted for most of the series.

Marquee players and team overall just could never get it going and wake up against that team. Shame..

Given the age, question marks of a lot of the ‘core’ players and randomness who knows if this group ever gets back to the 2nd/3rd round and has a chance like this again.

Last edited:

gabevh3

Oct 13, 2005
When stan the maven said we're winning the cup i knew we were doomed lol

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Come on.... he's gonna be a top 6 winger with grit
I hope so. But get an AHLtv sub and watch some of their game replaya. I think youll be disappointed unfortunately. Hes gotta long way to go.

On the other hand, I think youll be pleasantly surprised watching Berard

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019
I think Drury can move Trouba. Can I say what pissed me off about Trouba this year? That he decided to commit his time to art rather than training coming off the abomination of a devils series. Mika, who has actually been a good Ranger, has never lived down his DJ career from his younger days and Trouba gets a pass? That didn’t sit right with me and I’d really like him gone.
this is absurd dude - you cant train 24/7. Who the f*** cares what he does in his down time? It has nothing to do with his poor performance

Reactions: chosen

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Depressing, gonna take some time to get over and process

Felt like this coulda been the year, Igor stole the show and got them up 2 games to 1 and kept it a series right until the end, despite the ice being tilted for most of the series.

Marquee players and team overall just could never get it going and wake up against that team. Shame..

Given the age, question marks of a lot of the ‘core’ players and randomness who knows if this group ever gets back to the 2nd/3rd round and has a chance like this again.
This version of the team is not getting back; Drury's version with his picks will in the next 1-5 years.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
The Rangers weren't good enough. Again. Bigger is better in the NHL.

The Rangers D produced so many points in the regular season. The Rangers power play dried up.

Florida has a big and heavy team. Those teams win in the playoffs.
Bigger isn’t always better. Trouba sucks.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
I would trade any player if I thought I was getting the best of it, but despite everything, Kakko is exactly the type of player the Rangers need if he could finish.

He's very strong on the puck and keeps control in the offensive zone. The only other Rangers who are good at that are Kreider and Laf. Chytil could be that, too.

A million years ago, there was a player named Keith Magnuson who loved to fight and usually lost. One off-season he studied martial arts.

For the rest of his career he kept getting his ass kicked.
They aren’t gonna get anything for Kakko, therefore bring him back.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
We really don't have A tier forwards that are a one man nightmare like Barkov is, or even like Aho, who was on the ice for every Carolina goal.

I don't think a team can't win because Zibanejad exists on the roster but he needs to firmly be one of your second options, and his contract makes it difficult to acquire guys who can usurp him.

Panarin is that, but he just isn't in the playoffs. He's fine in the playoffs. He's needs to be more than fine.

Kreider never was that. He doesn't have the skill. He's an elite grinder. He's a weapon in the paint and makes the team better but he's doesn't have the stick skills to take over. *whispers* He's Brady Tkachuck. Which is another reason that guy isn't solving anything.

Trocheck is close, but if we were to match him up against top centers, he probably loses. He's another very good compliment like Kreider.

Lafreniere had a huge year, but he still (at 22, so he could) has a very long way to go to be this type of player.

The only guy we have that's an instant "take over the ice and make B and C tier guys better" type of player is Fox, and we chained an F tier player around his ankles.

We're not alone. I don't trust Dallas for the same reason. Maybe Wyatt Johnston becomes that in his prime. Everyone else is B+. You're taking a huge risk and asking everything to go perfectly in a run when you hitch your wagon to a B+ group of forwards.

Our D corps instantly blows "maybe everything else goes right" out of the water which is why I would start there and see what happens.
Well said. We need an A tier player or two and probably another B tier or two as well. And to fix the defense. We aren’t as talented as some in our fanbase think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad