Post-Game Talk: I don't have anything clever to put in the thread title

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Mika wasn't a no show. Can't be easy playing against Barkov. Barkov's line didnt exactly light the lamp over & over. Must have done something right. If Filip ever progresses to a 1C, Mika will light up most 3rd lines. Filip's injury hurt, in more ways than one.

His shooting which was his biggest offensive weapon is terrible now and more of a liability than a threat.

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
Stepan wasn’t an elite #1 but he also never got caved in as badly as Zibanejad has against other top centers. Zibanejad’s best xGF% in the playoffs over the last 3 years against #1 centers is 65% vs Jack Hughes. The other 4, Barkov, Cirelli, Aho, and Crosby he’s 33% or worse vs all of them. That is f***ing pitiful. Hard to win when your #1 guy is playing like a junior level player against the other teams top guy. Keep in mind Tampa didn’t have Point that series.
Looking at our teams who have gotten to the ECF or SCF since 2012, here are the playoff 5v5 xGoals For stats by our #1 centers. Note, these stats are for the entire playoffs and likely got worse once we got later into playoffs/eliminated...

2012 - Derek Stepan (55.2%) and Brad Richards (46.7%)
2014 - Derek Stepan (50.5%)
2015 - Derek Stepan (43.9%)
2022 - Mika Zibanejad (32%)
2024 - Mika Zibanejad (38%)

I'd imagine Cup winning centers look considerably better than this.

qwertyaas

LGR@
Feb 19, 2008
New York
Mika wasn't a no show. Can't be easy playing against Barkov. Barkov's line didnt exactly light the lamp over & over. Must have done something right. If Filip ever progresses to a 1C, Mika will light up most 3rd lines. Filip's injury hurt, in more ways than one.
To add, our first line is effectively shorthanded permanently because no one can gel with Mika and Kreider.

This play was the end of our hopes in this game.
All 4 players misplayed that. Trouba and Gus led the charge.

qwertyaas

LGR@
Feb 19, 2008
New York
Not sure I agree there. Seems like one pretty clear unforced breakdown by a single player leading to an odd man.
I mean Trouba went for a leisurely skate for no reason, taking him out of the play. Gus wasn't as bad on a rewatch but couldn't commit to playing the puck or the 2nd man. He should have played the pass.

Everyone else just gliding, like they did all game.

My disdain for their general play last night probably made me exaggerate the breakdown. That started and mostly ended with #8.

Wtp99

May 8, 2021
A gentle reminder that the team had 115 points this year, 34 come from behind wins and won two rounds of the playoffs. There are 30 other teams in the league that would kill for that season.

Give it a few days, appreciate what has been a very entertaining season and then we can tear the roster apart.
Yes I agree. The season was fun and exciting, playoff could’ve been better at the end

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

qwertyaas

LGR@
Feb 19, 2008
New York
Yes I agree. The season was fun and exciting, playoff could’ve been better at the end
I think it's less that they lost and more, how they lost.

With no urgency. No fight. Gliding around the ice while their opponent skating 100% all series. Giving up before losing 4 games.

Same as 2022. Same as 2023.

Losing happens and Florida is a stacked team that completely bought into their system. This was always a brutal match up for the Rangers.

But the constant chip ins and gliding and effectively handing over the puck with zero hustle? Constant cross ice passes onto Panthers tape? Lazy non-physical play and no going to the rough areas? That's the issue. Panthers beat them as much as they beat themselves.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Looking at our teams who have gotten to the ECF or SCF since 2012, here are the playoff 5v5 xGoals For stats by our #1 centers. Note, these stats are for the entire playoffs and likely got worse once we got later into playoffs/eliminated...

2012 - Derek Stepan (55.2%) and Brad Richards (46.7%)
2014 - Derek Stepan (50.5%)
2015 - Derek Stepan (43.9%)
2022 - Mika Zibanejad (32%)
2024 - Mika Zibanejad (38%)

I'd imagine Cup winning centers look considerably better than this.
No doubt about it. Just not good enough to ever win a damn thing. But Zibanejad has been especially putrid. He is the biggest problem on the team because of this reason. He’s basically useless at 5v5. That’s just completely unacceptable.

qwertyaas

LGR@
Feb 19, 2008
New York
No doubt about it. Just not good enough to ever win a damn thing. But Zibanejad has been especially putrid. He is the biggest problem on the team because of this reason. He’s basically useless at 5v5. That’s just completely unacceptable.
He's also useless 5v5 because it's him and Kreider vs opposing lines.

They might as well come out shorthanded as their RW is useless on that line, as they just can't gel with any.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
I don't think Fox at 100% puts them over the top. The team was completely overmatched and looked like they'd prefer to be in Cancun rather than a hockey game.
too many guys that desire to avoid contact or initiate it at least -- Chytil, Zib, Roslovic, Kreider, kakko, Panarin, Kreider (yes, Kreider avoided it way too often for the ECF). Your bottom 6 needs tenderizers and your top 6 needs to have enough muscle to sustain a forecheck. We were limited in both categories vs the Panthers. Laffy was by far the most durable, physical forward of the group and it wasn't particularly close. Trocheck gets honorable mention but he's not nearly as able to get inside and get his hands free and make a big hit as Laffy. Kreids has the size but is too afraid of another Carey Price story or something, I don't fully get it with him. He's built like an ox but doesn't seem to know how to forecheck consistently.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

They might as well come out shorthanded as their RW is useless on that line, as they just can't gel with any.
Zibanejad also has no ability to play below the dots or to get to the inside with the puck on his stick. He’s a pure perimeter/find the open ice for a shot player who isn’t particularly good at it. That’s why he’s never produced much at 5v5 in his career. Hes the issue, the only way it might work is if you had an elite playmaking RW who was also a physical beast.

Jack Hanson

Oct 5, 2023
1717358836231.png

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022

Next year id let them run with laff as their RW and let kakko be RW with panarin and trocheck.

Panarin makes guys look good, so if kakko cant produce there, hes just doomed.

Laff is good enough to where he can create and spark a line. If he cant spark mika and kreider then those two are toast

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
The team would rather be at a cooking class learning how to make the perfect omelette then making sure they don't over commit to either the puck carrier (or worse to no one) without guaranteeing they have back up.

I heard the team would rather drink high tea at Noon on that tea bus in Midtown than fore check two deep with coverage up high.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Next year id let them run with laff as their RW and let kakko be RW with panarin and trocheck.

Panarin makes guys look good, so if kakko cant produce there, hes just doomed.

Laff is good enough to where he can create and spark a line. If he cant spark mika and kreider then those two are toast
Kakko can't keep up with Panarin and Trochek.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Panarin at least cared and tries. Zibanejad cares more about soccer and DJing and hockey is just a hobby but one where he makes the most.

Nonsensical.

All of them care.

Some people like to make this crap up.

Florida was just better, but that's too simple an explanation for why they won for some to accept.

Brutananadilewski

Nov 6, 2021
Wherever the keg is!
Zibanejad also has no ability to play below the dots or to get to the inside with the puck on his stick. He’s a pure perimeter/find the open ice for a shot player who isn’t particularly good at it. That’s why he’s never produced much at 5v5 in his career. Hes the issue, the only way it might work is if you had an elite playmaking RW who was also a physical beast.

Sportsnet was on Panarin's ass yesterday. But the critique they lobed at him is also true of Mika: you can't play scared this time of the season, you're an offensive "spark" so there's no reason why you should be treating the puck like a live grenade and being prone to giveaways or putting your other teammates in a vulnerable spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad