Post-Game Talk: I don't have anything clever to put in the thread title

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
Our defense is just awful. They're the main reason this team lost. Drury needs to get heat for doing nothing to improve it. I hope people stop defending poke check Miller. He might be worse than Trouba. At least Trouba is good on the PK.

With that being said, you cant win with a 9 mil center who cant score at ES. Mr. Its just sports needs to go. But he wont. We'll trot out the same PP and beat up on bad teams. People will defend him because he will put up 60-70 points. Meanwhile, our best player at ES will be watching from the bench on the PP. Don't be surprised when Laf walks.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
the Rangers have 2 of the top 4 power play goal scorers over the last 5 years (Kreider and Zibanejad tied with 72). When the power play goes cold, there goes a big part of their production. Mika has scored more than 20 even strength goals once in his career and has 9 even strength goals in 58 playoff games as a Ranger.

People have been warning about this for years--the Rangers are mediocre at 5v5 and while elite goaltending and special teams can cover up the warts for a time, when/if one of them stops being elite, especially against top competition in the playoffs, they can't win. You can't rely on the power play to save you every game from October through June. the vast majority of the game is played 5v5, you might want to be good at it.
I believe the problem with the PP stems from the fact that they don't have a Plan B. As we saw, once the Cats took away the E-W passes, CK tip ins and back door plays, they were lost. This is what happens when you have players who (a) look to pass before shooting and (b) do not crash the net -- they end up skating/passing the puck around the perimeter for a good portion of the PP. If they did get shots off, there was no one in front to go for a rebound.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
20240601_210025.jpg
20240602_093256.jpg

It got pretty long. Not long enough.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Shadowtron

Feb 27, 2002
Earth
Our defense is just awful. They're the main reason this team lost. Drury needs to get heat for doing nothing to improve it. I hope people stop defending poke check Miller. He might be worse than Trouba. At least Trouba is good on the PK.

With that being said, you cant win with a 9 mil center who cant score at ES. Mr. Its just sports needs to go. But he wont. We'll trot out the same PP and beat up on bad teams. People will defend him because he will put up 60-70 points. Meanwhile, our best player at ES will be watching from the bench on the PP. Don't be surprised when Laf walks.
I’m one of the least optimistic Rangers fans you can meet. But even I think Laffy is gonna be on the 1st PP unit next season. The coaches would have to be outside their heads to start next year with this kid on PP2.

Kiekura

Oct 6, 2013
People go nuts about Barkov but the thing that made that line so dangerously imo was the two wings who shoot shoot and shoot. Both have great hands 30 feet and in.

Thing is that Barkov always plays with defense first mentality. Dude has put absolute show during these playoffs how to shutdown toplines of other teams and at the same time produce (and he needs those wingers for points)

And they have Lundell too who is like mini version of Barkov.

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
I’m one of the least optimistic Rangers fans you can meet. But even I think Laffy is gonna be on the 1st PP unit next season. The coaches would have to be outside their heads to start next year with this kid on PP2.
Honestly its one of the biggest reasons I want Mika gone. It almost feels like the coach knows hes a headcase and doesnt want to hurt his feelings. I I just dont see them moving him off the 1st unit. They'll make comments about how good it is and people will defend it sayings its one of the best PP In the league.

Shadowtron

Feb 27, 2002
Earth
Honestly its one of the biggest reasons I want Mika gone. It almost feels like the coach knows hes a headcase and doesnt want to hurt his feelings. I I just dont see them moving him off the 1st unit. They'll make comments about how good it is and people will defend it sayings its one of the best PP In the league.
Yeah they’ll probably push Troch off the unit.

80s Kid

Feb 20, 2023
AZ
The Giants actually had a better ranked defense in 07. In 2011, what people forget is that a lot of injured players were coming back healthy to the team at the right time.
07' D-Line was a complete mismatch for the Pats. It's pretty crazy rewatching that game and just seeing Brady running for his life. That's probably the single greatest game of any sport I've ever watched.

In 2011 we had Nicks, Cruz and Manningham as the top 3 WRs which was pretty insane with prime Eli. I just wish Nicks career didn't crash so soon after because he was awesome.

Reactions: Brutananadilewski

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
I wouldn't give up on Chytil.

IF he can stay healthy, he's exactly the kind of forward the Rangers need. He's slick, is fast, has good size, and is good at 5x5.

Crosby went through a bunch of early concussions, and even some later. Bergeron was just like Chytil concussion-wise, early on.
from your lips to God's ears... i hope so, i really like Fil's game. it's just not looking good

Reactions: Atax

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Thing is that Barkov always plays with defense first mentality. Dude has put absolute show during these playoffs how to shutdown toplines of other teams and at the same time produce (and he needs those wingers for points)

And they have Lundell too who is like mini version of Barkov.
Barkov is a dog no doubt. Not making light of him. I just think those non stop firing cannons on his wings were darn good as well. Despite the goals I never knew Reinhardt was that dangerous. Their top line was way better in every position than ours. Kachook is better than Bread. Their defense may not be big names but they sure looked better than ours. I just think Fla was more talented, tougher, and hungrier. This was not an upset. Florida is really good.

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
Three years ago I told my friend that I couldn't ever see us winning with a core of Panarin and Mika.

I had some doubts going into the playoffs (could we score 5 on 5), but a part of me thought well maybe we can after all. We seemed to always somehow find a way to win.

Panarin had an incredible regular season which even I couldn't deny, but I was still skeptical and then disappeared this series. Mika's compete level was down this year. It carried into the playoffs.

Trouba was a disaster. Miller seems lost on defense many times. I thought Jones should have played over Guft, but knew that wasn't happening. The forechecking made Schneider rush. Fox looked hurt.

Wennberg and Roslovic looked passive. These guys aren't good enough to play at less than 100% effort. Poor KK. sigh. Cheap, but not the best additions at the deadline.

For the good, Shesty looked great. Goodrow stepped up big time. Trochek looked pretty good. Most importantly, Laf has arrived.

We can run it back next year, but Mika will be one year old. Panarin is still likely to disappear in the playoffs. Laf can take another step. Drury has a little more flexibility this summer, but not a ton. We'll see.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Basing this season from October, getting this far is successful. We learned a lot about this team. Basing it on after the season, it leaves a lot to be desired.

Lafreniere is finally ready to make the jump as a superstar. His last 60 games were at that level. He just needs the spot on PP1 to get to another level. I hope he takes a few weeks off and gets back to working like he did last summer.

Adversely Kakko is done here. It's time for both parties to move on. He's stagnated and will cost too much. It's time to move on. I hope he can figure it out somewhere, but he is not committed enough to improve his skating.

We need a #1LD. Miller is not that yet. Lindgren is burnt toast. Someone is needed to compliment Fox. Carrying a carcus is what cause previous iterations lose early. Trouba needs to be minimized or traded. Trading your captain is tough, he's regressed massively, even from last season.

A legitimate top 6 RW must be acquired. Listen, I cannot see this team moving any of Panarin, Zibanejad, or Kreider. It's not happening. So, we must augment the top 6 and stop putting fillers at RW with Kreider and Mika to try and see if it works.

This season we let a lot of the younger guys develop in the minors. Othmann wasn't rushed. Berard shined in the A, we saw glimpses from Edstrom, and Rempe while being over the top was a lot of fun to have around.

We do have good depth down the middle. Hopefully Chytil can have a good off-season and come back strong as he started the season. Finding a legit 3rd line that can score will help too. I just hope Drury, who has now had two coaches and got to the same spot realizes that this group needs upgrades and it's not on the periphery.
Fully agree. This season’s run was very improbable if look back where it started with woeful elimination in the first round last season. Retreat coach is brought onboard and bunch of $800k contracts acquired. That’s it. Optimistically, finishing 2/3 in Metro and then about 50/50 chance to advance from that. Where the team’s gotten in the end highly exceed expectations (and IMO could’ve been more with healthy Fox).

This was supposed to be a “let’s see what we got” season from Drury’s perspective - even TDL acquisitions support that. I have no idea who he’s going to bring in and at what cost. But the realistic list of whom to move out is very apparent.

Filip Chytil

Mar 3, 2014
I don't know how to fix this team and wondering if Drury also doesn't know at this point. Hoping for some real changes, but fearing we'll just end up with another roster with significant holes that gets 100 or so points that never had a shot to win it all. Hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: FireGerardGallant

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I don't know how to fix this team and wondering if Drury also doesn't know at this point. Hoping for some real changes, but fearing we'll just end up with another roster with significant holes that gets 100 or so points that never had a shot to win it all. Hope I'm wrong.

What he does with Lindgren will really tell us everything.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Fully agree. This season’s run was very improbable if look back where it started with woeful elimination in the first round last season. Retreat coach is brought onboard and bunch of $800k contracts acquired. That’s it. Optimistically, finishing 2/3 in Metro and then about 50/50 chance to advance from that. Where the team’s gotten in the end highly exceed expectations (and IMO could’ve been more with healthy Fox).

This was supposed to be a “let’s see what we got” season from Drury’s perspective - even TDL acquisitions support that. I have no idea who he’s going to bring in and at what cost. But the realistic list of whom to move out is very apparent.
Drury SHOULD know what he has now after acquiring it from Gorton a few years now.

We all see the apparent changes needed, and I believe Drury will make the necessary moves...
IF the the owner concedes.

He was told not to "invest" too much into this group after last years disaster brining in Kane and Tarasenko, only to get knocked out in rd.1 in an embarrassing fashion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad