Hypothetical mega star: how would the league deal with this?

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Canucks fans have drafted him and already proclaimed he is a bust after 3 weeks post draft as he hasn't scored a double hat trick in July

• Haha
Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I know the knee-jerk reaction would be to mock the premise of the thread, because it is a little out there but I get what you’re asking.

My answer is that it wouldn’t take them 5 years to “nerf” the guy, and they certainly would come up with a way to do it.

The league essentially nerfed Gretzky and the Oilers, as well as Martin Brodeur and the Devils, so they would certainly do something.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
7 feet tall 280 behemoth that can’t be hurt by the opposition so you can’t stop him.

If he was 280 pounds the opposition wouldn't need to stop him, he'd be gassed by the start of the 2nd.

A better description of the mega star would be take Connor McDavid's speed, vision, skillset, basically everything, and add Ovechkin's one-timer, Barkov's defensive ability and hits like Scott Stevens.

Then put him on Buffalo and maybe they make the playoffs.
Okay, that last bit was unnecessary.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
This is the most ridiculous topic ever here, and that’s saying something. Players don’t even score at that rate in juniors. Maybe peewee but nothing over that are you seeing a player average 8-10 points per game. The entire premise here is stupid. It’s like asking what the NFL would do with an indestructible running back who can’t be tackled and scores 10 TDs per game. The premise is so absurd it’s not even worth entertaining.
Technically you entertained it by responding.

To answer the OP: I believe it’s already written in the NHL rule book he is to remove both his pinky toes

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Basically, playing along with BUT simplifying the scenario and maybe making it more realistic...

If we look at the past few seasons, the highest pts/60 during an entire season was 5 pts/60 (McDoodles). In the event a player had nearly unlimited stamina and was better than McDavid (says 6 pts/60), and was able to skate ~40 minutes a game, if not more, you'd pretty much already have an "auto-win" player there. Especially if said player also happens to be a god defensively. His team might lose a handful of game per season (after all, his teammates would also be able to score without him getting points) at most.

Is there anything the NHL could do to limit the impact of such a talent ? While it might drive ticket sales for games he plays, it also kind of trivializes the entire season and playoffs, in a way. I like these crazy hypotheticals, but can't say I have an answer for all.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Premature off season thread maybe, but the thought popped a couple of times in my mind and I wanted to gather the opinions of you guys.

What would happen if the NHL witnessed the coming of a mega star, I’m talking about the guy who racks up 8-10 points a night, 7 feet tall 280 behemoth that can’t be hurt by the opposition so you can’t stop him. The type of monster you created in EA NHL when you first started playing. After 5 Stanley Cup in a row won exclusively because of him, would the league intervene to nerf this guy?

Your opinion is crucial on this.

Someone saw this video

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
This is the most ridiculous topic ever here, and that’s saying something. Players don’t even score at that rate in juniors. Maybe peewee but nothing over that are you seeing a player average 8-10 points per game. The entire premise here is stupid. It’s like asking what the NFL would do with an indestructible running back who can’t be tackled and scores 10 TDs per game. The premise is so absurd it’s not even worth entertaining.
The Techmo Bo Jackson?

Reactions: FissionFire

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The NHL would love the attention that by far the greatest athlete in human history brought to the sport.

If a more realistic scenario happened where a guy came along who was even a step above the Gretzky level, rather than some kind of god, then I think there are good odds that players/teams would injure the guy.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
My guess is they would try to market the hell out of this player, but they'd do it with the competence of NHL management.

They'd probably deck him out in non standard apparel like making him wear a cape, a diamond helmet (because they heard the children like the minecraft) and maybe also make him wear some whiskers.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
He would legit be killed on the ice

No way a player could dominate like thst and not be head hunted, cross checked to the face, finger slashed etc

You wouldnt be able to play that guy b/c the nhl collectively would want him out of the league

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Picture Evgeny Artyukhin but with Mcdavid IQ. The league would be dumb not to market that. Sure he’d be hated by other fans and internet clown “experts” that have tend to for minority opinions but most sports athletes or really any entertainment figures that are marketed heavily are always hated yet the biggest draws still.

He would legit be killed on the ice

No way a player could dominate like thst and not be head hunted, cross checked to the face, finger slashed etc

You wouldnt be able to play that guy b/c the nhl collectively would want him out of the league
Reminds me of Eric Lindros

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Does his skates touch the ice? If so, his ankles would get destroyed by slashes within a season.

Walking The Cow

Nov 5, 2023
Sunny Green Pasture
If Frankenstein's monster knows how to skate and can score then sure.
200.webp

Reactions: Yemeth

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
I can't believe this kind of thread are created on cup clinching game day...

Ffs we have all summer long for thoses

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad