Hypothetical - does McDavid win the Conn Smythe even if Oilers lose the cup? Assuming he has an above average finals

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
What he’s doing breaks any so called rules or standards that only a player from the winning team deserves it.

We’re literally watching one of the greatest performances of all time, and if the next two games were to go anything like the previous two, it would probably go down as the very best run of all time. This isn’t normal stuff.

He has twice as many points as Barkov. The gap between him and Barkov is the same as the gap between Barkov and me. And as you can imagine I have zero points this postseason.

And as we’re witnessing, Barkov’s defensive game doesn’t come close to making up for that.

When Giguere won in 03 it felt right. We were watching something different. It wasn’t normal. And this is that, but to an even larger degree.

zar

Bleed Blue
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
If the series goes to a game 7, continues to rack up points and loses, he might win it. Not sure he gets it in 6 games. Obviously if they win the series, 100%.

Historically, goalies have won the award for losing teams all 5 times it's happened. Standing on their heads. The current implosion of Florida and some of it's top players, makes it interesting for sure.

I honestly think the Smythe should go to a player on the winning team, it should be a requirement. The whole point is to win the cup.

Not a goalie…

IMG_9902.png

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
If the series goes to a game 7, continues to rack up points and loses, he might win it. Not sure he gets it in 6 games. Obviously if they win the series, 100%.

Historically, goalies have won the award for losing teams all 5 times it's happened. Standing on their heads. The current implosion of Florida and some of it's top players, makes it interesting for sure.

I honestly think the Smythe should go to a player on the winning team, it should be a requirement. The whole point is to win the cup.
May as well get rid of the trophy then right?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
What he’s doing breaks any so called rules or standards that only a player from the winning team deserves it.

We’re literally watching one of the greatest performances of all time, and if the next two games were to go anything like the previous two, it would probably go down as the very best run of all time. This isn’t normal stuff.

He has twice as many points as Barkov. The gap between him and Barkov is the same as the gap between Barkov and me. And as you can imagine I have zero points this postseason.

And as we’re witnessing, Barkov’s defensive game doesn’t come close to making up for that.

When Giguere won in 03 it felt right. We were watching something different. It wasn’t normal. And this is that, but to an even larger degree.
Giguere had a great run and largely won the conn Smythe by the end of round 3.

But brodeur had a playoff for the ages that year
16-8.
.934 sv%
1.65 gas
7 shutouts, including the game 7 cup clinching win.

Mcdavid this year is light years ahead of gigueres playoffs and no one on Florida compares to what brodeur did

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Reggie Leach as we most know holds the record for most playoff goals in a season with 19 in 16 games. Also the only non goalie to win the conn Smythe as a member of the losing team.

The goal scoring record was previously held by newsy lalonde, who scored 17 post season goals in 1919.

Lalonde held the record for 57 years.
Leach has held it for 47 before this season.

TheSecondSeason

Apr 20, 2024
42 points and counting - Check
Annihilating Gretzky's assist mark which has stood for 40 years- Check
Most points in a 2 game segment in finals history and with the team being down 3-0 - Check
rendering Barkov useless covering him - Check

Cup or not, it would be absolutely embarrassing for the league to trot out anyone other than McDavid for the Smythe. McDavid probably wont even come take it either if he doesn't win the cup. He's that driven.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Massive oiler adn Mcdavid fan and I hope they don’t give it to him if the Oilers lose. I think he would hate getting it and would feel embarrassed by it. Give it to Barkov.

In all honesty, I think even Barkov recognizes that he's far, far, far from as good as McDavid in these playoffs. He would most likely be the embarrassed one since he would always be remembered as the most undeserving winner of the Conn Smythe of all time.

Of course McDavid would feel shitty about that trophy win a few minutes after the loss. This is him cementing his legacy for all time though, and when he's doing something that only one skater's ever been able to do, there will be a day where he will remember that proudly. Not like Reggie Leach hates the fact that he's won the Conn Smythe.

Reactions: authentic

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I was at Game 5 and it changed my view: give it to him. His performance is simply incredible.

This year's Florida team is a performance by committee and, after the past two games, I don't see a clear player that could match McDavid's value this year...last year's Tkachuk, if we had won, could have made a good case.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
I was at Game 5 and it changed my view: give it to him. His performance is simply incredible.

This year's Florida team is a performance by committee and, after the past two games, I don't see a clear player that could match McDavid's value this year...last year's Tkachuk, if we had won, could have made a good case.

Going to the games always helps. Guarantee half this forum has never witnessed him live or studied him the way one only can when they have control of what they want to focus on during a game.

Reactions: WalterLundy

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
After game three, there was no doubt his performance was disappointing in this series. Last two games have been outstanding and fun to see. Hopefully it keeps it up

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Out of curiosity, if the current events unfolded in the reverse order would that change anything?

McDavid having two strong games to start than trailing off. While Bob got better as the series went on.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Going to the games always helps. Guarantee half this forum has never witnessed him live or studied him the way one only can when they have control of what they want to focus on during a game.
Yep, you see a certain presence without the puck. McDavid won them that game.

If I want to be a salty Florida fan, he's the second most impactful man in the series behind Bill Zito, but that's being salty!

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
Out of curiosity, if the current events unfolded in the reverse order would that change anything?

McDavid having two strong games to start than trailing off. While Bob got better as the series went on.
Undoubtedly. With the state of sports journalism, would you expect the group at large to employ a rational evaluation process? The industry is based on group think and hot takes, with an attention span of seconds. The last viewing is always the most important.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I don’t even understand how Bob got on the ballot in the first place. Sheshterkin and Swayman were better than him. Otter was better than him pre-Oilers series too I believe. What a travesty and sham that Conn Smythe would have been.

Calderon

Mar 24, 2006
Undoubtedly. With the state of sports journalism, would you expect the group at large to employ a rational evaluation process? The industry is based on group think and hot takes, with an attention span of seconds. The last viewing is always the most important.
I sense a strong case of feeling superior to the dumb peasants. Of course it's different if the timeline is reversed. It'd be the greatest offensive weapon in 30 years being figured out and dismantled and a veteran coach finally being on the verge of great fulfillment. Instead, it's McDavid and a rookie head coach figuring out the Cup favorite (obviously just the current situation, FLA can still become champions in ten hours time) who have finals pedigree and depth advantage. Also, what if the teams took turns, winning one game at a time? Surely it would affect someone like Bobrovsky differently, he wouldn't suddenly start to completely unravel. The order at which events take place is hugely relevant, lol.

Last edited:

Calderon

Mar 24, 2006
I don’t even understand how Bob got on the ballot in the first place. Sheshterkin and Swayman were better than him. Otter was better than him pre-Oilers series too I believe. What a travesty and sham that Conn Smythe would have been.
So Oettinger would've been a more worthy Smythe candidate for his first two series (conveniently ignoring the third, season-ending series) than the goalie who made the finals and still remains just one game away from winning the Cup? Come on, some prerequisites are definitely needed for Conn Smythe.

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
#97 is the MVP and whoever thinks otherwise is out to lunch.

Unless Bob stops 75 shots tonight and McDavid puts 2 in his own net, I don't see how he's not taking it home.

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
I sense a strong case of feeling superior to the dumb peasants. Of course it's different if the timeline is reversed. It'd be the greatest offensive weapon in 30 years being figured out and dismantled and a veteran coach finally being on the verge of great fulfillment. Instead, it's McDavid and a rookie head coach figuring out the Cup favorite (obviously just the current situation, FLA can still become champions in ten hours time) who have finals pedigree and depth advantage. Also, what if the teams took turns, winning one game at a time? Surely it would affect someone like Bobrovsky differently, he wouldn't suddenly start to completely unravel. The order at which events take place is hugely relevant, lol.
I really don’t understand this sentiment. Maybe if Florida actually shut McDavid down, but outside of game 1 McDavid has found the scoresheet every game, including their losses. He wins the Conn Smythe regardless of the order of these games in my opinion. He’s been a force this entire series, but has hit supernova this last couple games.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
So Oettinger would've been a more worthy Smythe candidate for his first two series (conveniently ignoring the third, season-ending series) than the goalie who made the finals and still remains just one game away from winning the Cup? Come on, some prerequisites are definitely needed for Conn Smythe.
Nah neither would have been good Smythe candidates.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
It’s his. It’s over. Whether or not they win the Cup. We’re witnessing something we may not see again for decades barring him doing it again :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad