Hypothetical - does McDavid win the Conn Smythe even if Oilers lose the cup? Assuming he has an above average finals

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
The all-time record for points in a final is 13 points

It sounds like you guys are suggesting that even if McDavid somehow scord 28 points in this final in 7 games - he still wouldn't even be guaranteed the smythe, unless rest of his team sucked and/or no Florida player shines.

Jeez...
No he’d be guaranteed to win at that point, but it would take something as insane as that to win if Edmonton lost.

Losing team players simply don’t win the award without going superhuman like Giguere did. His performance still gives me nightmares as a Wings fan

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Lol No, it’s a toss up currently between him and Draisaitl to who wins the Conn Smythe. Mcdavid had a great game 6 against the Stars but Draisaitl has been better on many nights, it’s a tight race between him and Draisaitl for who has been the best Oiler.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

cupface52

Jan 12, 2008
Burlington, On
Missing an option.

If McDavid a has a phenomenal finals and ends up with 45 points and 32+ assists, I think he gets the Smythe in a losing effort. If he's just above average, than no.

Reactions: gretzkyoilers

LaCarriere

A Panther will win the Smythe, should they win the Cup

McDavid will win the Smythe, should the Oilers win the Cup.

Here's the one miracle situation where the Oilers lose and McDavid wins the Cup. McDavid (31) passes Gretzky (47) for points in a single playoffs - which would likely suggI cest he would also break Gretzky's single playoff season assist record. That means McDavid scores over 2 points a game and the Oilers lose. Don't see how that is possible but you never know.
Was going to say this.

I just don't see how this happens, all while the Pathers don't have somebody who you can at least make a decent argument for. For McDavid to have that many points, all while losing, would easily suggest there must be somebody from the Panthers who also matches (or at least comes very close to matching) McDavid in performance.

I just don't see the NHL forcing the Oilers to stick around on the ice for McDavid to accept a mostly personal award, just to award the cup to the Panthers minutes later.

Hardly anyone who wins the Conn Smythe trophy celebrate it... it's generally a-la Cale Makar... skates back to his teammates without even raising it, hands it to a coach/trainer and then wait for the real trophy.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
Just to add extra info/context:
The only skater (non-goalie) to win it on the losing team is Reggie Leach, who had set the record for most goals in the playoffs with 19 (a record that still stands).

Reactions: Hoek

PolishPrince21

Mar 4, 2015
LI
JSG was an unusual situation, it probably won't happen again and yes i know he was the 5th and most recent person to win it on the losing team.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
No, unless he had a crazy finals point total like 20+ points in a loss.
A loser winning anything should always be an exceptional circumstance, like Giggy in the day for example.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
I think multiple things would have to happen for that scenario to occur. Breaking the assists record, putting up 15+ points in the series, scoring the game winning goal at least twice, losing in 7 games, generating 50-60% of their offense, and so on, while balancing whatever the Florida candidates do.

Hopefully he performs strong and gets it the normal way by leading the Oilers to a Cup. I’m not really interested in the weird discussions that would ensue from the odd wrinkle of owning a Conn Smythe, yet still being Cupless.

Reactions: Kerberos

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
1A. McDavid
1B. Draisaitl
1C. Bouchard
2A. Hyman
2B. RNH
2C. Ekholm

Anyone of the first 3 can win it with a great finals performance assuming the Oilers win, lol at McDavid winning if the Oilers lose hahahaha, it’s a toss up between McDavid & Draisaitl for Oilers MVP right now.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
He probably should win it regardless, but unless he ties or breaks Gretzky's point record and they lose I doubt it. Winning the Conn Smythe when your team loses is insanely hard.

tfwnogf

Dec 15, 2013
He needs 40+ points. Otherwise it could go to Draisaitl or Bouchard or even Skinner. If Florida wins he has no chance of winning unless he gets 48 points.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Don't like a losing team's player getting the Conn Smythe.

It's odd and the player doesn't want to be there either in the middle of the other team's celebration. Give it to the most deserving player on the winning team, after all their MVP performance actually got the job done.

gretzkyoilers

Apr 17, 2012
Ron Hextall won in 1987 over a prime Gretzky but Wayne "only" had 34 points in 21 games. Maybe because Wayne had an "average" playoff run? Seems like a weird winner for the Smythe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad