Recalled/Assigned: Hutchinson Back Up, Kaskisuo Sent Down

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I guess giving Hutch a fair chance is worth it. It will probably be a short leash. I’d hope he gets some of the first starts on back to backs and maybe even a odd game here and there. Hutch was a decent option at one point especially for Winnipeg

Reactions: qqaz

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
He has watched Kaskisuo first hand. Likely doesn't have faith in him either. I don't mind giving Hutch another chance before completely disregarding him.

Kask was given the net for the Marlies playoff run last year. Why not Hutch?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
We shook it up by calling up Kaskisuo and Keefe. It feels like a step back bringing Hutchinson back so soon without giving Kaskiuso a short look. Hutchinson is likely the better option going forward, even with his record, but from a team morale perspective I think it would be nice to not have to play in front of Hutchinson for a bit longer.

I think Dubas wants to see Hutch in front of a Keefe coached hockey team to see if the need to upgrade is real or because of bad coaching. Potentially saving them from wasting a draft pick they didn't have to.

Or maybe the opposite is true - what could be better for team morale then to win a game with Hutch? Hutch hasn't played well for us but let's not forget that the team played terrible in front of him so it's a chance at redemption for everyone.

Reactions: weems and qqaz

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Not a player friendly decision either: Kaskisuo was making his first NHL money (6 1/2 times what he makes in the AHL) while Hutchinson makes the same either way.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
This ordeal needs to be addressed pronto. I can't take another backup goalie debacle

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Kask was given the net for the Marlies playoff run last year. Why not Hutch?

Kaskisuo got on a hot streak right before the playoffs started, and it continued through the fist and second round. When a goalie is hot, you ride them.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I guess giving Hutch a fair chance is worth it. It will probably be a short leash. I’d hope he gets some of the first starts on back to backs and maybe even a odd game here and there. Hutch was a decent option at one point especially for Winnipeg
Really???? He was un-clutch Hutch for most of us. or 1 house league goal per game. sometimes 2. mostly bad rebounds but many Berniers too.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Keefe probably wants to see what Hutch can do when he isn't playing in front of a tired team that also didn't wanna play for their last coach.

Fair imo
Last coach didn't prevent him from making the routine saves or playing like he's wearing two blockers.
I don't think I've ever seen a goalie have such difficulty catching the puck.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I do think Hutch is better than Kask, but we need a better backup. Unless we can improve our team D considerably (possible once Keefe has had a few months with the team?), our goalies are gonna continue to face tones of extremely high danger scoring chances. We need a top notch backup, not just a passable one.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Last coach didn't prevent him from making the routine saves or playing like he's wearing two blockers.
I don't think I've ever seen a goalie have such difficulty catching the puck.
In my opinion , through the history of left handed goalies , for whatever reason , if you can go as far back as you can , in most situations , have difficulties catching the puck cleanly or look bad doing so .
My daughter is the same .
They have other qualities that are at par and sometimes even greater than righties , generally speaking of course like agility , scrambling , flopping lol .
If you stop and think about it , there haven’t been and there are not to many “ incredible “ high end lefties as goalies
I think the greatest was Tony O
And then a whole bunch as average or slightly above , but they certainly have not had the success as Righties , in general .
There fun and a treat to watch , like Espo and Palmy and Villimeure , Roger Crozier to name a few , when they made saves , they were beauties , but when they over played or missed , man o man did and do they look terrible , and not to stable and positioned .

Last edited:
Reactions: ACC1224

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Maybe now that Babs is gone Dubas is going to have a hands-on (meddling) approach with the new coach?

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Probably made the move as many of Hutchs underlying numbers arnt as bad as the results and the team had done pretty unfavorable matchups with him in net (2 back to backs against rested teams?).

He also immediately tore it up in the AHL.

Like everything else, let's see how he looks in the new system.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Sorry Hutch, but we really need a better option to rest Freddy.

I know they are tight against the cap but something has to give.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad