OT: Hurricanes Lounge XLV: Y2K Twenty-Four Years Later

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Country ham w/2 fried eggs (runny yolks) and sharp white cheddar cheese on rye or whole grain bread.

Toast the bread, pan fried the eggs over easy, but not too much so as the eggs stay runny. Warm the country ham in the same pan. Mayo and mustard on the bread, followed by the eggs, then the ham, then the cheese. Put the side of the sandwich with all the good stuff on it under a broiler for about a minute to a minute and a half. Put the other slice of bread on top. Cut diagonally (gotta have that runny yolk on the plate for dippin'). Eat and enjoy.

For those of you familiar w/Virginia, the best country ham I've ever had is Kite's Country Ham from Wolftown VA. They put up a limited number of hams each year and when they're gone, they're gone.

You're welcome.

BTW, don't blame me for the eventual heart attack.

• Love
Reactions: Coffees

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
Cut diagonally
This is the most important thing in the tuna-mayo-salad sandwiches.

1728678945807.png

Reactions: hockeynjune

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
There's this hole in the wall dive bar in Harrisonburg Va. When my oldest was going to college at nearby Brigdewater we went one time and I got a Mac N cheesesteak it was one of the greatest thing I have ever tasted.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
You know, I can see that. The tangy mayo with the sweetness of the peanut butter does seem like it would work.

But the question is is he using mayo or Miracle Whip?
It wasn’t Miracle Whip, but he’s from the north, so it’s not real mayo either, it was Hellmanns.

Coincidentally, my good friends from the UK say Miracle Whip is the same as a condiment called Salad Cream that they ate in the UK.

There's this hole in the wall dive bar in Harrisonburg Va. When my oldest was going to college at nearby Brigdewater we went one time and I got a Mac N cheesesteak it was one of the greatest thing I have ever tasted.
I drive by Harrisonburg 15+ times a year going to and from our farm. What’s the name of the place?

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
It wasn’t Miracle Whip, but he’s from the north, so it’s not real mayo either, it was Hellmanns.

Coincidentally, my good friends from the UK say Miracle Whip is the same as a condiment called Salad Cream that they ate in the UK.

I drive by Harrisonburg 15+ times a year going to and from our farm. What’s the name of the place?
My kid says she thinks it is Billy Jacks. I had a t-shirt from there but I think I threw it out but I'll look when I get home

Just looked it up Billy Jack's Shack

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
So now that I can post here again- I'd like to share a report from Avery County. I went into Banner Elk on D+5, stayed for 4 days, had to go home, now I'm back. Folks- the devastation out here was unbelievable.

When I got here, I came solo in my jeep with a chainsaw and a bunch of gear. It was immediately apparent that tons of former and current spec ops guys had descended upon this area. I linked up with them and local guides who got us into the action, making our way across wrecked terrain to get into remote hollers and deliver food and water and get a welfare checks on places they didn't even know if they were still there.

Then we formed chainsaw gangs, cutting through ridiculous amounts of downed trees, opening roads to isolated communities, freeing avenues to so that propane trucks could pump gas to the elderly

Private military contractors took over the local airstrip and started coordinating the volunteer private air force that has formed, delivering supplies and Starlinks throughout the state. People were going in on 4 wheelers and cutting LZs for the Little Bird helicopter a PMC brought to land and deliver supplies.

The response from locals and volunteers has been amazing and made a hell of a difference. I won't trash the state and Feds, but they just don't have enough bodies.

Anyway here are some pics you won't see on the news.

If anyone is handy with a chainsaw or is a medic and wants to get involved, let me know.
IMG_5945.jpeg
IMG_5953.jpeg
IMG_5949.jpeg
IMG_5951.jpeg
IMG_5964.jpeg
IMG_5963.jpeg
IMG_5956.jpeg
IMG_5962.jpeg

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
So now that I can post here again- I'd like to share a report from Avery County. I went into Banner Elk on D+5, stayed for 4 days, had to go home, now I'm back. Folks- the devastation out here was unbelievable.

When I got here, I came solo in my jeep with a chainsaw and a bunch of gear. It was immediately apparent that tons of former and current spec ops guys had descended upon this area. I linked up with them and local guides who got us into the action, making our way across wrecked terrain to get into remote hollers and deliver food and water and get a welfare checks on places they didn't even know if they were still there.

Then we formed chainsaw gangs, cutting through ridiculous amounts of downed trees, opening roads to isolated communities, freeing avenues to so that propane trucks could pump gas to the elderly

Private military contractors took over the local airstrip and started coordinating the volunteer private air force that has formed, delivering supplies and Starlinks throughout the state. People were going in on 4 wheelers and cutting LZs for the Little Bird helicopter a PMC brought to land and deliver supplies.

The response from locals and volunteers has been amazing and made a hell of a difference. I won't trash the state and Feds, but they just don't have enough bodies.

If anyone is handy with a chainsaw or is a medic and wants to get involved, let me know. View attachment 915868View attachment 915869View attachment 915870View attachment 915872View attachment 915873View attachment 915875View attachment 915876View attachment 915878

I'm not one who automatically tells soldiers "thanks for your service" just because they're in the military. When I do say "thanks for your service" it's for a reason and not just an automatic response that may or may not have much meaning. Thanks for your service this past week.

I've got a sister who lives about 20 minutes from Banner Elk in Roan Mt TN (at least it used to be about 20 minutes when there was a road between them). Her house is ok but the town is trashed. Gonna take a long time for that area to get right.

If I could afford to take off time from work I'd volunteer but I'm still trying to catch up from the lack of income this summer. Good luck with the rest of your time up there and stay safe!

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I'm not one who automatically tells soldiers "thanks for your service" just because they're in the military. When I do say "thanks for your service" it's for a reason and not just an automatic response that may or may not have much meaning. Thanks for your service this past week.

I've got a sister who lives about 20 minutes from Banner Elk in Roan Mt TN (at least it used to be about 20 minutes when there was a road between them). Her house is ok but the town is trashed. Gonna take a long time for that area to get right.

If I could afford to take off time from work I'd volunteer but I'm still trying to catch up from the lack of income this summer. Good luck with the rest of your time up there and stay safe!

Appreciate it. Nobody has verbalized it, because guys don't talk about shit like that- but I've seen it in everyone's eyes- we are all grateful for the opportunity to finally use our skills sets to help people rather than harm them.

I'd love to help out in TN because we're only a few miles from the border but that state has been a complete dick to us. They literally set up checkpoints last week preventing travel between the states. I have it from two separate local sources that our state police and theirs got into a confrontation about it and then they took it down. One source told me an NC militia group even got involved.

A couple friends landed in a private plane at an airstrip there with a Starlink and were told to put it back in the plane and leave because "the state has total control of all assets coming and going" IDK who is running TN but they suck.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018

If anyone is handy with a chainsaw or is a medic and wants to get involved, let me know. View attachment 915868View attachment 915869View attachment 915870View attachment 915872View attachment 915873View attachment 915875View attachment 915876View attachment 915878
I am not sure how to put it into words, but… the moment when any form of your work training kicks in and it clearly helps people in an occasion, it’s a wonderful feeling.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad