OT: Hurricanes Lounge XLV: Y2K Twenty-Four Years Later

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
It’s the concept more than the actual song I suppose. A bass line driven verse with a similar chord progression that starts quiet with almost no guitar that builds intensity towards the chorus then explodes into that chaotic chorus then starts all over again. The chord progression stays the same through the chorus….through the whole song. Normally there’s a bridge and a chorus with different chord structures but with these two songs not one single note changes through out the entire tune. The only thing that changes musically is the intensity of how they play that same progression over and over. So simple but really effective when done right. I’d say “Smells” is a rare popular song that way, same four chords over and over. The idea of dynamics has been common in guitar driven rock for a long time now obviously but the Pixies had a special ability with it and dynamics in general. Their documentary is called “loudQUIETloud”….

"Debaser" exemplifies this, to me. For the first few seconds you think you're going to get another "Here Comes Your Man"-type song, then this crazy man starts playing the guitar and shrieking at you. At times the attendants manage to calm him down (the "quiet parts"), but he keeps getting away from them.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
"Debaser" exemplifies this, to me. For the first few seconds you think you're going to get another "Here Comes Your Man"-type song, then this crazy man starts playing the guitar and shrieking at you. At times the attendants manage to calm him down (the "quiet parts"), but he keeps getting away from them.
I love Debaser and Tame back to back to start that album. I always loved the second verse of Debaser when the band cuts out and it’s just Frank and his guitar howling.

And then “Pookie….I…..think….you….TAME” gets stuck in my head all day. I’ve seen the lyrics elsewhere saying he says cookie but I like the way I hear it. :D

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
now "Come As You Are" on the other hand

Y'all have to excuse me, but for me personally the definite version is the one from the Graveland sessions of Jimmy "The King" Brown.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Didn't even know you liked soccer, thought it was just a handful of us on here.
I'm not an avid watcher, my brother coaches, all of my nephews played high school levels, my youngest nephew got a scholarship for it. But I go when the Premier League Teams come through.

Reactions: DaveG

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
It’s the concept more than the actual song I suppose. A bass line driven verse with a similar chord progression that starts quiet with almost no guitar that builds intensity towards the chorus then explodes into that chaotic chorus then starts all over again. The chord progression stays the same through the chorus….through the whole song. Normally there’s a bridge and a chorus with different chord structures but with these two songs not one single note changes through out the entire tune. The only thing that changes musically is the intensity of how they play that same progression over and over. So simple but really effective when done right. I’d say “Smells” is a rare popular song that way, same four chords over and over. The idea of dynamics has been common in guitar driven rock for a long time now obviously but the Pixies had a special ability with it and dynamics in general. Their documentary is called “loudQUIETloud”….

As a guitar player I saw the connection musically through the maintained chord progression and the very similar dynamics….and pretty similar vocal approaches to the chorus. “Smells” sounds like something written by Kobain that’s trying to not to rip it off but is directly influenced by it, basically an homage with a mildly different chord progression and lyrics. I often did that myself with my heroes when I was trying to come up with my own music so I always felt like I understood where he was coming from when he said it. Even if you came up with something “different” that someone wouldn’t necessarily notice you know you overdid it. I think his admission is him saying if he had heard “Smells” as a fan he’d say it’s a Pixies rip off, because of how he looked at song writing in his genre.

Two songs that screamed Pixies to me in general are “Aberdeen” by Cage the Elephant and “I’m tired of having sex” by Weezer. With the first it’s hitting you in the face from the first note to the last, with the second it’s when the band kicks in and he does his geeky roar as the wall of sound hits you. Weezer also did a cover of the Pixies “Velouria” which is excellent and shows they loved the band. It was a on a tribute record to the Pixies.

Ps. The “remix” of “Wave of Mutilation” that’s on that “Pump up the Volume” soundtrack was one of my early favorite Pixies songs, I tended to like it more than the standard version. That was a great soundtrack…good call!

As for the navel gazing im with you, he really wasn’t a favorite of mine. In my world that year it was Nirvana vs Pearl Jam and I leaned a little towards Pearl Jam on the first big records. Better musicians, I thought better songs and they played better live….and far less brooding and taking yourself too seriously.

Yeah the "UK Surf" version of that song was always my favorite. It is hard to overstate how much getting the soundtrack to that film (and the film itself blew me away at the time) affected my musical tastes. I didn't even know what alternative music was until then. All we had in eastern Long Island were local classic rock stations and 99.1 WPLR out of Hartford that skipped across the LI Sound.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
yeah not seeing it as a thing with "Smells Like Teen Spirit" other than as possibly thematically or in terms of being a rip on another song.

now "Come As You Are" on the other hand

Dave Grohl said he ripped off all of his parts in Nirvana songs from 70s disco, so it wouldn’t be shocking that other parts were “borrowed” too.

Yeah the "UK Surf" version of that song was always my favorite. It is hard to overstate how much getting the soundtrack to that film (and the film itself blew me away at the time) affected my musical tastes. I didn't even know what alternative music was until then. All we had in eastern Long Island were local classic rock stations and 99.1 WPLR out of Hartford that skipped across the LI Sound.
Nitpicking douche alert: WPLR is New Haven so it makes sense why you got it on Long Island.

Reactions: DaveG

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

1722975903761.png

1722975937531.png

TLDR: Elon is attempting to sue advertisers for not advertising on Twitter. This is, of course, after he told advertisers to “f*** off” when concerns were raised about their ads showing up next to slurs and hate speech on Twitter.

Of course, this is the free market (something you’d think he’d be aware of, given he’s a billionaire), so suing someone for taking part in the free market is certainly a choice.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

View attachment 899476

View attachment 899477

TLDR: Elon is attempting to sue advertisers for not advertising on Twitter. This is, of course, after he told advertisers to “f*** off” when concerns were raised about their ads showing up next to slurs and hate speech on Twitter.

Of course, this is the free market (something you’d think he’d be aware of, given he’s a billionaire), so suing someone for taking part in the free market is certainly a choice.

Yeah, but "They're not coming for us, they're coming for you. We're just standing in the way." LOL

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Brown U’s station was considered one of the best for “college radio” which is what they called alternative before it became a thing. College radio was about the only place you could find that music on the radio but it wasn’t alternative as it’s thought of now, it was genuinely anything that was an alternative to what was normally on the radio. Electronic, rap, punk…all were part of it in the late 80’s into early 90’s. Either that or a friend made you a tape.

Sometimes I could catch Brown’s station, they would have the top 100 of all time every NYE. “How soon is now” by the Smiths was number one every year in the early 90’s despite it being a few years old by then.

Otherwise I think we grew up with many of the same stations. I had one from Boston I could get too, forgetting right now but it was a mix of classic rock and newer rock.

Last edited:

Ben Grimm

It's clobberin time!🥊
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Reactions: hblueridgegal

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
No one should care, but it’s late night, I can’t sleep, and I got a laugh out of this.

There was (and I guess still is) a big argument on Twitter over who would win in a fight: Every Pokémon created or 1 billion real life lions. And it seemed like an obvious choice, because there’s only like 1000 Pokémon, so even if they have wacky powers, the lions should win by sheer numbers alone.

Then the rules started clarifying and it was asked if alternate forms of Pokémon counted? Some evolve different depending on items held, the time of day, etc. And the pro-lions side said, sure, alternate forms count.

It was then pointed out that one Pokemon, Spinda, has almost 4.3 billion different spot variations and that the “shiny” form (basically super rare, discolored versions of a Pokémon) of each of those spot variations also has a different pattern. And thus, the sheer number argument that the pro-lions side had vehemently defended swung WILDLY back in the opposite direction.

ur8gy7psprl21.png

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 3