OT: Hurricanes Lounge XLIV: The Previous Thread Has Been Cancelled

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I had a Type R for 5 years and it was a really fun car and held its value well when it came time to sell it.

I moved to a Golf R with RTO and a longer commute.

Is I need a truck code for I do a ton of DIY stuff around the house or I have a boat?
DIY around the house, I could get away with a trailer and SUV, but trucks are quicker and less hassle.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I had a Type R for 5 years and it was a really fun car and held its value well when it came time to sell it.

I moved to a Golf R with RTO and a longer commute.

Is I need a truck code for I do a ton of DIY stuff around the house or I have a boat?
How do you like the R? Had a MK6 GTI for a bit that I really enjoyed but went in the opposite direction with a Wrangler. In an old FX35 now to save money but been thinking about getting into a Golf R cause I need some speed/handling. Only worry is that I have to carry at least one bike a few times a week.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
How do you like the R? Had a MK6 GTI for a bit that I really enjoyed but went in the opposite direction with a Wrangler. In an old FX35 now to save money but been thinking about getting into a Golf R cause I need some speed/handling. Only worry is that I have to carry at least one bike a few times a week.
I like it. I have a mk8. It's a little less fun than the type r but is really comfortable and a great daily.

It's really quick and the updated awd system handles pretty well. Tons of aftermarket for it too. I'm fighting the urge to go stage 1.

I do a lot of cycling but am 2 minutes from a trail system. My bike fits with the back seats down. My type r had a lot more cargo space than the golf r but it works for me.

Half the golf's you see have a bike rack, so it's inevitable.

Reactions: DaveG

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I like it. I have a mk8. It's a little less fun than the type r but is really comfortable and a great daily.

It's really quick and the updated awd system handles pretty well. Tons of aftermarket for it too. I'm fighting the urge to go stage 1.

I do a lot of cycling but am 2 minutes from a trail system. My bike fits with the back seats down. My type r had a lot more cargo space than the golf r but it works for me.

Half the golf's you see have a bike rack, so it's inevitable.
Lucky you’re only a couple minutes from the trails. We have one boring trail about 20 minutes from town, good for keeping up fitness, but everything decent is an hour to 2+ hours away.

Seems like a rack would be the way to go. I can fit my current bike in the back of my FX35 with the seat down but it’s making a mess out of the interior. Would love to just throw the bike over a tailgate and head out but the fun factor of a hot hatch has me leaning towards the R

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I like the Golf GTI's, would like to get one as a fun car / tuner platform. Not sure how finicky they are though.
The engines are solid and have tons of aftermarket support.

Water pumps and thermostats need replacement a little more often than other cars but I'll take failures on cheap parts like that than the ej25 in stis blowing up. (I'm no Subaru hater. I had a sti for 4 years)

Reactions: Unsustainable

Unsustainable

Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
The engines are solid and have tons of aftermarket support.

Water pumps and thermostats need replacement a little more often than other cars but I'll take failures on cheap parts like that than the ej25 in stis blowing up. (I'm no Subaru hater. I had a sti for 4 years)
Oh, the flat 4s I don't like much personally, I like I4 and I6 if we arent talking v8s

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I like the Golf GTI's, would like to get one as a fun car / tuner platform. Not sure how finicky they are though.

I have (or my son does for the moment) a Mk7 manual. It is great and I've had zero major issues and few minor ones. It is a lot of fun for a daily.

But not as fun as an NA (1990-1997) Miata. There is something special being in a car that small that handles that well. When you are in it, a Honda Fit look big. Oh, and given that NC doesn't emission check cars that old, the potential to add to the fun is enormous.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I have (or my son does for the moment) a Mk7 manual. It is great and I've had zero major issues and few minor ones. It is a lot of fun for a daily.

But not as fun as an NA (1990-1997) Miata. There is something special being in a car that small that handles that well. When you are in it, a Honda Fit look big. Oh, and given that NC doesn't emission check cars that old, the potential to add to the fun is enormous.
It annoys me that VWs are labeled as not reliable. If you put in the time and keep up with preventative maintenance they’ll be fine. I still myself for trading in my Mk6 4 years ago.

Reactions: MinJaBen

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

That describes my recollection of driving a Miata; it had kind of a "go cart" feel, which was really fun. But after being rear-ended by an 18 wheeler a while ago I'm wondering how much the safety aspect would be in the back of my mind if I were to use one as a daily driver today.

I'm currently driving a base engine 5-speed Mazda 3 and I was really surprised how much it brought back a bit of that 944 & Miata feel. It's not at all fast but has really nice torque, so I can comfortably pass on a 2 lane road which is the most important factor for me at this point. And I was surprised at how well it handles. I didn't buy it for a sporty driving aspect, just lucked into it I guess.

Unsustainable

Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina

I would go DSG in the GTI.

Know people who track NAs and just love bashing on them, but I need a back seat lol.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I would go DSG in the GTI.

Know people who track NAs and just love bashing on them, but I need a back seat lol.
Yeah, DSGs are supposedly fantastic and certainly faster than manual...but I just love a manual transmission. Hand made shifts.

I certainly get the need for a backseat. Wouldn't own a two-seater as an only car.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Unsustainable

Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Yeah, DSGs are supposedly fantastic and certainly faster than manual...but I just love a manual transmission. Hand made shifts.

I certainly get the need for a backseat. Wouldn't own a two-seater as an only car.
DSG handle more power from what I understand, down pipe, intake, and tune likely causes the manual to start having issues.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It annoys me that VWs are labeled as not reliable. If you put in the time and keep up with preventative maintenance they’ll be fine. I still myself for trading in my Mk6 4 years ago.
I had a Passat V6 years back. Was a blast to drive.

Then one day the thermostat went bad. Brought it to a mechanic I know well and he said "You should probably take it to the dealer. I can't see any way to get at it except removing much of the front end, the timing belt, and a bunch of other stuff. If I do it, it's going to cost you $1500 to replace a cheap part. They must have a way to do it a lot easier."

I went to a dealer and they told me the same and wanted $2000 to fix it. For a cheap thermostat.

I got rid of the car the next week. Loved that car, but didn't want to deal with that.

Unsustainable

Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Well that's the German mindset vs Japanese mindsets.

Germans have precision engineering and wants maintenance and everything done on a specific level.

Japanese wants it's to run in the worst of conditions in a 3rd world country that uses bricks as hammers.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA

Germans have precision engineering and wants maintenance and everything done on a specific level.

Japanese wants it's to run in the worst of conditions in a 3rd world country that uses bricks as hammers.

I’m a Civic man for life. When my 2010 with 188,000 miles on it eventually craps out, I’ll buy a 2019 or whatever and have it last another 10 years. Rinse, repeat.

hockeynjune

Just a soft breeze
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021

Then one day the thermostat went bad. Brought it to a mechanic I know well and he said "You should probably take it to the dealer. I can't see any way to get at it except removing much of the front end, the timing belt, and a bunch of other stuff. If I do it, it's going to cost you $1500 to replace a cheap part. They must have a way to do it a lot easier."

I went to a dealer and they told me the same and wanted $2000 to fix it. For a cheap thermostat.

I got rid of the car the next week. Loved that car, but didn't want to deal with that.
Worked in the German car repair world for a long time. VWs had terrible repair history. My wife was an advisor for VW for a bit. Yes German are amazing to drive fast but they are maintenance heavy . VWs were hands down the worst of the bunch.

Got a lot of very fast track time in German cars. The stability of those cars at high speed is amazing.

Last edited:

raynman

Jan 20, 2013

True. I do the absolute bare minimum with my Infiniti that has 170k on the odometer and it keeps ticking. Supposedly it requires premium fuel but it ain’t that fancy.

Engineers, amirite? :sarcasm:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
50k? <5k/yr? I got a new car last year and am already up to damn near 20k miles (I've put 17k on it and 3k on my old car)
When I worked from home for a lot of years, I didn’t put many miles on my car. Especially because my wife’s car got better gas mileage so we drove hers more often around town. I now do a lot of highway driving and have ~135k on my truck which is 8 years so about 17k per year.

Reactions: WreckingCrew
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad