OT: Hurricanes Lounge XLIV: The Previous Thread Has Been Cancelled

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Only been through Charlotte once (rerouted connection), and basically entered in one gate, walked two gates over, and waited for the next flight. Seemed fine based on that (very) limited experience.

LaGuardia seemed better to me last time I was there (August), but it was my destination and I didn't have to go between terminals or wait out a layover. Had to do that there about a decade ago, and it was a hellhole then.

I haven't been there in decades but one of the late night talk hosts that used to regularly make fun of LaGuardia did say after a joke about it that it was actually pretty nice now that the renovations were completed.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
My only experience with LGA was having my direct flight to GSO at 7 PM delayed for almost 6 hours because we didn't have a f***ing pilot (they tried to say it was weather delays but our plane was on the ground and eventually used for ANOTHER delayed flight). After midnight we were exited through the basement basically, put on a bus, taken to the maintenance area/side yard, and climbed those cool mobile stairs onto our backup plane. Also catching a cab leaving that place (on the way in), what a shitshow nightmare of a logjam of vehicles...everyone's 2" away from vehicles on all sides and just shoves inch by inch to squeeze out while blaring their horns because nobody can move or will let anyone move or will move for anyone (it's the New Yorker attitude in a nutshell)

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
My problem with Charlotte's airport.

-Long security lines
-Long lines to pick up/drop off passengers
-Not enough seating in gate areas so people just crowd around
-Rude TSA staff

Among other things but I don't have the patience to type everything out at the moment.
1 and 2- Don't fly out of Charlotte so can't comment on that, but Atlanta used to absolutely piss me off with this.

3 - this is why I hang out at the bars before a flight, regardless of airport. Charlotte hasn't annoyed me more than any other on this front.

4 - again can't comment here other than to say the only places I haven't had a problem with the TSA staff are Pittsburgh, Indy, and MSP. RDU wasn't awful. Atlanta, O'Hare, and Houston TSA can get 100% turbof***ed.

skipnjump

Apr 6, 2019
NC
1 and 2- Don't fly out of Charlotte so can't comment on that, but Atlanta used to absolutely piss me off with this.

3 - this is why I hang out at the bars before a flight, regardless of airport. Charlotte hasn't annoyed me more than any other on this front.

4 - again can't comment here other than to say the only places I haven't had a problem with the TSA staff are Pittsburgh, Indy, and MSP. RDU wasn't awful. Atlanta, O'Hare, and Houston TSA can get 100% turbof***ed.
I admit that while going through security in Atlanta was no fun, but the TSA folks were pretty helpful and nice when I cut my toe on one of the tables and was bleeding all over place, when I told the TSA folks that I was bleeding, they got me some antiseptic wipes, bandaids and let me go behind the counter to take care of my toe. I was thinking that they were going to think I was causing an issue to distract them,

Reactions: LakeLivin and DaveG

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I admit that while going through security in Atlanta was no fun, but the TSA folks were pretty helpful and nice when I cut my toe on one of the tables and was bleeding all over place, when I told the TSA folks that I was bleeding, they got me some antiseptic wipes, bandaids and let me go behind the counter to take care of my toe. I was thinking that they were going to think I was causing an issue to distract them,

A lot to unpack here. What was your foot doing on a table at the airport? Why did you cut your toe? And with what, given that you're not supposed to have anything sharp in the security line?

skipnjump

Apr 6, 2019
NC
A lot to unpack here. What was your foot doing on a table at the airport? Why did you cut your toe? And with what, given that you're not supposed to have anything sharp in the security line?
LOL. :) Sorry I wasn't too clear. I was in line, my shoes off and walking barefoot through the line. I was sliding the bin with my laptop in it on the table and stubbed my toe on the leg of the table. Yes, I am a klutz.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Starbucks iced chai has been my gateway drug into fancy coffee shop chai….and that’s about as pricey as my mid life existential journey is going to get. I’m too cheap for an expensive vehicle. I’m going the other way, camping out of beat up pickups and watching sunsets from the toughest to get to pretty places I can find as far from human contact as possible.

Wait….I think I might’ve gone straight to elderly.
This you?

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Back in the 90's my ex-wife had a Miata convertible I used to drive. It was fun but felt kinda like a toy compared to the Porsche 944s I drove for close to a decade. The 944s weren't especially fast but were really solid and handled like they were on rails.

My 944s weren't the result of a mid life crises, rather me taking advantage of what I suspect was one of the best used car buys of all time. I had two, each purchased 2 years old with only around 16k miles. I paid mid teens for each, about half of their new retail cost. That ended when traffic came to a stop on I40 in RTP and I was rear ended by a 16 wheeler. Totaled my 944 and dominoed another 4 or 5 cars in front of me. No air bag in the 944 back then but I walked away totally unscathed. If I had driven my base Nissan pickup truck that day I'm sure I'd have sustained serious injuries (or worse).
I can see that with the 944.

I had similar feelings about s2000s a decade later.

I just couldn't daily mine after 7 years and kids so have been exploring the hot hatch market ever since.

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
I've flown in and out of there before. Nothing to write home about. In fact to me it seemed, cramped, and dirty. Excellent representation of Philadelphia? Well you be the judge.

LaGuardia, that place sucks. The food options were a shitty pretzel vendor and the vending machine.

LaGuardia is f***ing terrible and makes KPHI look like a palace by comparison IMO.

But really, no airport quite pisses me off like Charlotte.

You apparently haven't flown through O'Hare.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: skipnjump and DaveG

raynman

Jan 20, 2013

I just couldn't daily mine after 7 years and kids so have been exploring the hot hatch market ever since.
I keep hearing MK7 Golf Rs whispering my name but I kinda need a midsize pickup (Ranger maybe?) or suv (nothing does it for me in this class).

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

That was the thing about those 944s, they had a back seat that you could cram a couple kids in, or even an adult on occasion if really needed. Plus, they had a hatchback; I once picked up a gas-powered tiller from a rental place in my 944, lol. And it was comfortable driving 600+ miles in a day; I couldn't imagine doing that in my ex's Miata. Still don't know why they depreciated so much so quickly.

Reactions: Stickpucker

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
That was the thing about those 944s, they had a back seat that you could cram a couple kids in, or even an adult on occasion if really needed. Plus, they had a hatchback; I once picked up a gas-powered tiller from a rental place in my 944, lol. And it was comfortable driving 600+ miles in a day; I couldn't imagine doing that in my ex's Miata. Still don't know why they depreciated so much so quickly.
Had always had American V8 cars or trucks until right after I got out of the Navy. Bought a used 90 RX-7. Luckily for me the seals were leaking and I inky had it a year before it lost all compression. Other wise I might be dead or in jail. That thing could move!

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I‘m single and childless and I still can’t afford an exotic sports car haha. Ive refrained from the avocado toast but had a few too many iced coffees from Starbucks.
I should be dead any time now, I went through my midlife in my 20s with a corvette and 3 mustangs. Now in my 40s with a family, I've got a Honda pilot and f150

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

still looking at the Veloster N as far as that goes, but with them out of production now it'll have to be used. Not that I'd have a problem with that.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
still looking at the Veloster N as far as that goes, but with them out of production now it'll have to be used. Not that I'd have a problem with that.
There are a ton of good cars in the segment. Can't really go wrong.

A buddy has a Elantra N that he loves.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I like the Corolla GR and the Civic Type R, but I think I am going to get a Tacoma next, I need a truck still.
I had a Type R for 5 years and it was a really fun car and held its value well when it came time to sell it.

I moved to a Golf R with RTO and a longer commute.

Is I need a truck code for I do a ton of DIY stuff around the house or I have a boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad