GDT: Hurricanes @ Devils - 3:00 PM - MSGSN

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Don't laugh but I think the absence of Marino really hurts our transition game. He is the fast scrappy underdog that always walks out of the corners with the puck and dishes it off in the blink of an eye. He is a very important part of our team.
Maybe but they lost the majority of these games before he got hurt and the offense has been a little better the last couple games.

Reactions: My3Sons

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
oh don't worry i'm sure the analytics crew on here already hot pie charts and heat maps for it.

1672667990322.jpeg

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
It’s another game decided by the Refs. It all starts with the embellishment call. The PK is pretty good at 5 on 4. The Devils broadcast brought up a good point; there should never be embellishment, on a penalty. There should be only be a penalty or an embellishment penalty.

I am not sure I get the logic, in regards to the shooters, but given that the Canes had much more practice, I felt like it was a L once, it went to the SO.

Jack was gassed.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
It’s another game decided by the Refs. It all starts with the embellishment call. The PK is pretty good at 5 on 4. The Devils broadcast brought up a good point; there should never be embellishment, on a penalty. There should be only be a penalty or an embellishment penalty.

I am not sure I get the logic, in regards to the shooters, but given that the Canes had much more practice, I felt like it was a L once, it went to the SO.

Jack was gassed.

Tatar was one of the better shooters last year, he went 2 for 5 but I think both times he scored he was the leadoff shooter. Bratt was 4 for 8 last year so he was another one of the best shooters we have. And Jack is Jack, of course.

I never feel good about the shootout anymore. I miss the 11-12 days where it felt like a win was automatic with Kovy, Zach and Patty.

Mac's been trending horribly in the shootout, not that it's a large sample size but he's been around 40-45% save percentage the past two years.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

Jack was gassed.

Utter stupidity by the league on this, either the player was tripped or he dove. It can't be both.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
Maybe but they lost the majority of these games before he got hurt and the offense has been a little better the last couple games.
the offense has been a little better, but we are still not getting any secondary scoring. it's all nico, bratt, hamilton and hughes for the past 3 games

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
They're the 13-14 Devils, coming off a good run with an elite goalie on the roster, average forwards and decent defense. And we saw what happened with that team.
Yeah, it was actually the 13-14 Devils that I originally said they remind me of. Not the 15-16 Devils.

Yeah, it’s actually the 13-14 Devils.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
I'm unclear why people think the embellishment call had anything to do with the loss.

If anything, I thought it was actually helpful to the Devils. Worst case, it was a weird non-factor. With the embellishment call, the Devils only had to kill 40 seconds of a 5-3. Of course, they weren't able to, but without the embellishment call, the 5-3 would have been much longer.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I'm unclear why people think the embellishment call had anything to do with the loss.

If anything, I thought it was actually helpful to the Devils. Worst case, it was a weird non-factor. With the embellishment call, the Devils only had to kill 40 seconds of a 5-3. Of course, they weren't able to, but without the embellishment call, the 5-3 would have been much longer.

It completely changed the course of the game. You can't just say everything else in the game would've happened the same way. It was a bad call, and was not a 'weird non-factor'.

It's just a prime example of how game management is anything but. The ref sees a defenseman get tripped in a critical area but it's too late in the game to give anyone a power play for anything besides high sticking and delay of game, so he calls 'embellishment' so as not to alter the game, and the result is two goals and two additional power plays. Just f***ing call the game.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
It completely changed the course of the game. You can't just say everything else in the game would've happened the same way. It was a bad call, and was not a 'weird non-factor'.

It's just a prime example of how game management is anything but. The ref sees a defenseman get tripped in a critical area but it's too late in the game to give anyone a power play for anything besides high sticking and delay of game, so he calls 'embellishment' so as not to alter the game, and the result is two goals and two additional power plays. Just f***ing call the game.
Of course we have no idea how things would have played out. But, this kind of whining is ridiculous. The fact that things happened after the embellishment call does not mean the were the result of the embellishment call. Neither the high stick nor delay of game were caused by the embellishment.

Meanwhile, the Blackwood hate here is off the charts. I think (almost?) everyone would prefer VV in net, but the Devils got smoked in that game and the biggest reason it was close was Blackwood outplaying Raanta. Raanta gave up three awful goals to Blackwood's one.

Reactions: Stickpucker

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Meanwhile, the Blackwood hate here is off the charts. I think (almost?) everyone would prefer VV in net, but the Devils got smoked in that game and the biggest reason it was close was Blackwood outplaying Raanta. Raanta gave up three awful goals to Blackwood's one.
I agree with you, but this is just an example of a BAD goalie having a good game.

It's not like bad goalies are bad EVERY game or even every month or every 20 games.

So while he did outplay Raanta and was the better goalie yesterday (I agree exactly with just 1 bad goal to Raanta's 3) when you're a goalie, which is the most important position in the game and the team insists that you play at least 40% of the games you're dressed for, despite being the team's worst player, you absolutely deserve the hate.

Blackwood sucks. Doesn't mean he sucked yesterday or sucks every game, but he still sucks. There's no need to go and ask everyone to bow to him or eat crow. Remember when Cam Janssen scored 3 goals in what I think was like a 17 game stretch once? Didn't he mean he didn't still suck.

Guy should be used about as much as Johan Hedberg in 11-12 at the very most. Not something closer to Brodeur/Terreri in 93-94, which is closer to what it's been like at least when he's been healthy enough to dress.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Canes fan here...you guys have a fun young team with lots of speed. You'll be good for years to come.

That was a good game and Blackwood made some really nice saves.

Hope for many more close ones and take care of Douglas.

Thanks but you can really only go so far with terrible head coaching and terrible goaltending.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Of course we have no idea how things would have played out. But, this kind of whining is ridiculous. The fact that things happened after the embellishment call does not mean the were the result of the embellishment call. Neither the high stick nor delay of game were caused by the embellishment.

It seems pretty normal to complain about a ridiculous, obviously bullshit call late in a game against one of the toughest team in the league.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Blackwood has dressed for just 17 games this year and has started 10 of them. I'm not even counting his relief appearance against Carolina a couple weeks ago, just the starts.

And there was also a 3 game in a row stretch where he was dressing but didn't play and even missed practice while an EBUG filled in because of an elbow injury the week before the long term injury happened.

While I'm not sure he'll get 59% of the starts, which is what he's gotten while actually dressing to this point, even 40% of the starts is too much.

The only time he sat on the bench 3 games in a row was when he was nursing the elbow injury and even missed a practice over it. It looked like once again Vitek was gonna be allowed to start 3 in a row, but then he got a random start yesterday when he was going to start one of the back to backs this week anyway.

The trend to this point is that they can't sit him more than 3 games in a row and that could be costly down the stretch, when we have a much better goalie on the team that's available to play.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Thanks but you can really only go so far with terrible head coaching and terrible goaltending.
Only we don't have terrible goaltending, we just insist on using the one terrible goalie as more than this team's clear cut backup. Thus SANDBAGGING our goaltending.

And while I haven't been vocally against Ruff so much this year (I still maintain he gets canned in-season if Fitz thinks it can help save the season and he won't be back next year, it'll be Brunette, which is the right call) he is the one who just can't make it 3 games before having Big Mac withdrawals.

Reactions: Blackjack

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017

this makes no sense at all.

we would have had a power play with a 1 goal lead and 6 minutes to play. in all likelihood that takes us down to 4 minutes of defending a lead, best case we put the game away.

mercer would not have been on the ice to take a high sticking penalty and graves wouldn’t have thrown the puck over the glass.

the refs took a power play away from us late in a close game it’s the farthest thing from a non-factor

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
this makes no sense at all.

we would have had a power play with a 1 goal lead and 6 minutes to play. in all likelihood that takes us down to 4 minutes of defending a lead, best case we put the game away.

mercer would not have been on the ice to take a high sticking penalty and graves wouldn’t have thrown the puck over the glass.

the refs took a power play away from us late in a close game it’s the farthest thing from a non-factor

The game was tied when the penalties were called.

What the refs did was make a situation that should've been a Devils PP into a 4v4, greatly increasing the chances of the game ending in regulation, for either side. The Devils were fortunate enough to score on the 4v4. Great. But referees should not be doing this shit.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Is this actually for real?

And was it most first shots on goal of the game in a single season? Or ever? I don’t remember it happening often early in his tenure, but when the wheels were falling off of him the last 2 or 3 seasons it definitely happened quite a few times.

I remember Steve Mason had a season or maybe even two in a row late in his tenure with Columbus where he allowed a goal on the first shot he faced in way too many games.

It's a joke but I also think it's true. That one year was especially bad where he had no movement after the surgery and I swear for like a 10 game stretch he let in like 5 goals on first shots of the game. He'd get down 0-2 on like 5 shots then the team would claw their way back but lose 4-3 and his save % would look almost ok at .900 but the story was his first shot in killed the game strategy.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
The game was tied when the penalties were called.

What the refs did was make a situation that should've been a Devils PP into a 4v4, greatly increasing the chances of the game ending in regulation, for either side. The Devils were fortunate enough to score on the 4v4. Great. But referees should not be doing this shit.
that’s right my memory was a little off but my point stands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad