OT: Hunting/Fishing/Outdoors Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Yes it was but it was also out of necessity as well for many since that moose meat was so very important to get you though the winter especially living in a small fishing community. I imagine it was the same for many in Newfoundland especially those in the smaller towns.

Looking back now it makes you realize just how difficult it was back then to literally put meat on the table but it had to be done. Even though it really wasn't that long ago things have really changed a lot since then especially concerning moose hunting where I live.
Everything has changed around us, some for the better and some for the worst. We lived organically before it became a buzzword lol and it was the best of times. My grandfather had a commercial salmon license and I fished it with him as a boy. Two nets strung from a shore fast on the rocks. 5-30 salmon a day but no hauling on Sunday's lol. We would always pick out a 4-6 pounder to cut up for steaks and it was as gourmet as it gets. My grandmother was the best cook of seafood that ever walked and so was yours I bet lol. Simple times that are unattainable now......sigh.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Everything has changed around us, some for the better and some for the worst. We lived organically before it became a buzzword lol and it was the best of times. My grandfather had a commercial salmon license and I fished it with him as a boy. Two nets strung from a shore fast on the rocks. 5-30 salmon a day but no hauling on Sunday's lol. We would always pick out a 4-6 pounder to cut up for steaks and it was as gourmet as it gets. My grandmother was the best cook of seafood that ever walked and so was yours I bet lol. Simple times that are unattainable now......sigh.

Everything you said applies to me as well. My grandfather and uncle also had a commercial salmon license and another uncle had a lobster license. My father was also a fisherman so I've spend a lot of time on the water as well during my life. So many changes in such a short amount of years.

This was our catch from the last time I was in a boat before I hurt my knee in early June. Just look at those beautiful huge scallops. :)

IMG_4124-4.jpg

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Everything you said applies to me as well. My grandfather and uncle also had a commercial salmon license and another uncle had a lobster license. My father was also a fisherman so I've spend a lot of time on the water as well during my life. So many changes in such a short amount of years.

This was our catch from the last time I was in a boat before I hurt my knee in early June. Just look at those beautiful huge scallops. :)

View attachment 245561

Holy crap!

When's the next shed party? :D

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Some of the largest shells were almost 9 inches across.

This was last summer when myself and a couple of buddies when jigging for squid. We had lots of success and a whole lot of fun catching them.View attachment 245565
Boom! Did you use a hauler with the rollers and a ton of hooks over the side or single hand lines ? Great pics by the way, my mouth is watering! U remember the squids, we used to dry them and sell them to the Asian market, fun times and lots of 4 am mornings!

Reactions: sheed36

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Boom! Did you use a hauler with the rollers and a ton of hooks over the side or single hand lines ? Great pics by the way, my mouth is watering! U remember the squids, we used to dry them and sell them to the Asian market, fun times and lots of 4 am mornings!

There were 3 of us and we used single hand lines with 3 squid jiggers on each line. I had never heard of anyone in my town drying squid until I met a guy from a small town called Mings Bight, which I believe you're familiar with. He brought some dried squid here from his trip back to Mings and said that was what many from that part of the province did with their squid.

Reactions: OldCraig71

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
There were 3 of us and we used single hand lines with 3 squid jiggers on each line. I had never heard of anyone in my town drying squid until I met a guy from a small town called Mings Bight, which I believe you're familiar with. He brought some dried squid here from his trip back to Mings and said that was what many from that part of the province did with their squid.
I am familiar and have friends there to this day. We dried them for the Asian market in Northeastern NFLD, 2 bucks a pound back in the 80s, lines everywhere.
stock-photo-row-of-squid-hanging-on-a-line-and-drying-1233818572.jpg

A week of good weather and off they go to market, they were a delicacy that we all loved and the good old squid jigging ground was a party on the water, fun memories.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I am familiar and have friends there to this day. We dried them for the Asian market in Northeastern NFLD, 2 bucks a pound back in the 80s, lines everywhere.

A week of good weather and off they go to market, they were a delicacy that we all loved and the good old squid jigging ground was a party on the water, fun memories.

Seeing squid out to dry is new to me. Did you salt them or anything first before hanging them out to dry? There were some small squid spotted in this area around the beginning of July so that's a good sign of squid being around this area again soon.

There haven't been much squid caught around here in the past 15-20 years but the last couple of years there have been a few around again which is nice to see.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Seeing squid out to dry is new to me. Did you salt them or anything first before hanging them out to dry? There were some small squid spotted in this area around the beginning of July so that's a good sign of squid being around this area again soon.

There haven't been much squid caught around here in the past 15-20 years but the last couple of years there have been a few around again which is nice to see.
No salting, just dryed for the Asian market, kept on the lines during peak sunlight hours and back inside during the night. They were measured for moisture by the Japanese buyers with bonuses paid for a dryer product.It was a short season, first 3 weeks of August if I remember correctly and it was another source of income and part of the fishing season. We always baked them or fried them (rings) that were totally awesome to eat and some were kept green for trawl bait.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
No salting, just dryed for the Asian market, kept on the lines during peak sunlight hours and back inside during the night. They were measured for moisture by the Japanese buyers with bonuses paid for a dryer product.It was a short season, first 3 weeks of August if I remember correctly and it was another source of income and part of the fishing season. We always baked them or fried them (rings) that were totally awesome to eat and some were kept green for trawl bait.

Cool thanks. If I get any squid this year I might give that a try. Most of the squid caught here years ago were sold for food or bait to the local fish plant. I pretty much only deep fry the rings. I've also baited many trawl hooks with squid, mackerel and herring in my lifetime.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011

Last edited:

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Cool thanks. If I get any squid this year I might give that a try. Most of the squid caught here years ago were sold for food or bait to the local fish plant. I pretty much only deep fry the rings. I've also baited many trawl hooks with squid, mackerel and herring in my lifetime.
Cool man, it all seems like a lifetime ago to me now but at least I still have great memories of it all.

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
There is great fishing, Pike, Bass, Pickerel (Walleye), Perch, Salmon, Trout, etc. right here on Lake Ontario. We have guests from Quebec who would rather drive on the highway than hours on dirt roads to fish Salmon. Check us out.

Reactions: FrankMTL

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

View attachment 245561

Massive! as large as some abalone. Do they have that in the Maritime?

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
There is great fishing, Pike, Bass, Pickerel (Walleye), Perch, Salmon, Trout, etc. right here on Lake Ontario. We have guests from Quebec who would rather drive on the highway than hours on dirt roads to fish Salmon. Check us out.

Totally agree that Lake Ontario is another great option. It really depends on what type of fishing you want to do though. There's a certain thrill from fishing for big Atlantic Salmon from the shore of a beautiful wild river.

Reactions: Clearedwaivers

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Totally agree that Lake Ontario is another great option. It really depends on what type of fishing you want to do though. There's a certain thrill from fishing for big Atlantic Salmon from the shore of a beautiful wild river.

Are the fish edible from that lake?

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
From time to time? meaning what really?

Probably not more than once a month. I wouldn’t eat fish from there at all personally, as there are a lot of chemicals spilled into that Lake. I wouldn’t eat fish caught from the St Lawrence either, but some people do.

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Probably not more than once a month. I wouldn’t eat fish from there at all personally, as there are a lot of chemicals spilled into that Lake. I wouldn’t eat fish caught from the St Lawrence either, but some people do.

Ya,not gonna go just to c&r,prefer to taste what is caught.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad