OT: Hunting/Fishing/Outdoors Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
You’d know that cause you’re an avid fisherman. I merely dabbled, I mostly only know from third party accounts and watching TV.

I also found out from people who own fishing boats and any other kind, that there are only two days when you are overjoyed about a boat — the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

I don't know what I'd do with myself if I had to sell my boat. Growing up and still living in small town NF right next to the ocean I pretty much grew up in a boat. Selling my boat would be like selling my soul. :)

Reactions: OldCraig71

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I didn't even know what an abalone was and had to do a google search. :) I've never seen anything like that around here. Such beautiful shells though.

I have to wonder if it is even around in Canadian waters.. Never heard of it till I was introduced to it not all that long ago in Japan. Learned that Abalone divers make a ton of money though seeing as they have to dive where the great whits dominate! Very similar to massive scallops. Was curious if they are obtainable in Canadian waters as they have a premium price on them from what I've seen.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't know what I'd do with myself if I had to sell my boat. Growing up and still living in small town NF right next to the ocean I pretty much grew up in a boat. Selling my boat would be like selling my soul. :)

You’re probably an exception. People I’ve known over the years have been saddled with astronomical repair bills and have become quickly disenchanted.

Reactions: sheed36

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
You’re probably an exception. People I’ve known over the years have been saddled with astronomical repair bills and have become quickly disenchanted.
Most of those horror stories come from the inboard/outboard style of boat, the showy type of boats that are used seasonally. I am thinking that sheeds boat is built with fiberglass with a 4 stroke on the back and is a tough sob requiring very little maintenance.

Reactions: angusyoung

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Most of those horror stories come from the inboard/outboard style of boat, the showy type of boats that are used seasonally. I am thinking that sheeds boat is built with fiberglass with a 4 stroke on the back and is a tough sob requiring very little maintenance.

I guess I haven’t known owners in Sheed’s situation.

One guy I knew had a small, simple boat that he used for cruising and at one point hit rocks when he was approaching shore and incurred $8000 worth of damage while he had paid $15K for it as a used boat. There is no show to be had with a $15k boat other than a horror show when you’re bad-lucked.

He sold it right after that.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

You nailed it. It's a 20' fiberglass boat with a 60hp 4 stroke Yamaha outboard. My boat is very similar to the one pictured below but is just the older model from the same company. You're right these boats are pretty much maintenance free other than having to clean it a couple of times a year.

1285273659000.jpg

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I guess I haven’t known owners in Sheed’s situation.

One guy I knew had a small, simple boat that he used for cruising and at one point hit rocks when he was approaching shore and incurred $8000 worth of damage while he had paid $15K for it as a used boat. There is no show to be had with a $15k boat other than a horror show when you’re bad-lucked.

He sold it right after that.

I'd say most boat owners in small town Newfoundland have fiberglass boats quite similar to what I posted above with a 4 stroke outboard attached which are used for a variety of boating activities. These boats are tough but if they do get damaged or dinged up they're easy to fix with a bit of fiberglass materials.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'd say most boat owners in small town Newfoundland have fiberglass boats quite similar to what I posted above with a 4 stroke outboard attached which are used for a variety of boating activities. These boats are tough but if they do get damaged or dinged up there are easy to fix with a bit of fiberglass materials.

Seems like a smart option if you're going to be boating and not put your finances at risk.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Thanks, real kind of you.

I enjoy reading all the experiences in this thread. I don't know if I'd have the inclination to do that now, I think as you get older, you get set in your ways. Some stuff I enjoy vicariously and I'm OK with. Kudos to you for being passionate about it.
You’re flirting with the prospect. You wouldn’t be posting otherwise...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You’re flirting with the prospect. You wouldn’t be posting otherwise...

Sometimes it serves no one to look back at things with regret. I can appreciate how others have enjoyed an opportunity and be happy for them without having pursued it myself. I've developed other interests over the years so I can put it all in perspective.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Sometimes it serves no one to look back at things with regret. I can appreciate how others have enjoyed an opportunity and be happy for them without having pursued it myself. I've developed other interests over the years so I can put it all in perspective.
Of course

Reactions: groovejuice

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Seems like a smart option if you're going to be boating and not put your finances at risk.
They are work horses and can be used in winter as well as summer and even stand up well to occasional run-ins with pack ice. They are good in rougher seas as well, light weight and tough as nails. I grew up with the same style of boat plus the good old punt and I bet that @sheed36 had one of those as well lol.

Reactions: sheed36

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Boom! Nicely said.

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I didn't even know what an abalone was and had to do a google search. :) I've never seen anything like that around here. Such beautiful shells though.

So it sounds like they are not in Atlantic water,very possible. Never heard about them either 'till I was introduced to them in NZ a while back and didn't hear of them when back in MTL until more or less recently. Almost like a massive scallop which are so good!

peate

Smiley
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Don't think I'll ever get there,but what's the issue there? Not familiar at all with BC,aside from all the killings lately.
It's a tidal lake on the west coast of Vancouver Island, very popular with windsurfers. Where it meets the pacific, it narrows to a very small gap, and at high tides, the current goes absolutely nuts. Even experienced boaters will avoid it at that time. It's really breathtaking when it open up on the ocean and the fog.

500_F_174511980_nlvJ4v16v9oRtZZIDig8dM6cAPYS9djm.jpg

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

A cruiser is not for fishing for sure. A friend had a cruiser,talk about expense! Managed to sell it for a huge loss and got what he wanted to fish in. Unless you got money to burn........

Sailing's not for everyone,but is Eco friendly for the most part. Not great for fishing though unless on hi waters.

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
It's a tidal lake on the west coast of Vancouver Island, very popular with windsurfers. Where it meets the pacific, it narrows to a very small gap, and at high tides, the current goes absolutely nuts. Even experienced boaters will avoid it at that time. It's really breathtaking when it open up on the ocean and the fog.

Looks gorgeous! Such extreme tides? Ungava bay has some as well.

500_F_174511980_nlvJ4v16v9oRtZZIDig8dM6cAPYS9djm.jpg

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad