Proposal: Huberdeau for Josh Anderson and Brendan Gallagher

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
You want Huberdeau
Not even a little bit

Even as bad as the Huberdeau contract is I doubt the Flames would trade straight up for Anderson on a 3 X 5.5 and Gallagher at 3 X 6.5.

All 3 contracts are bad but at least one guy can still actually add at least minimal value.
And 2 guy's contracts are up in 3 years instead of an appalling 7 years. I accept the Calgary probably doesn't do it. But Montreal definitely doesn't do it. Way too much long term downside thst comes when the team should be competitive

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
What about Dach?

Caufield-Suzuki-Slafkovsky
Huberdeau-Dach-Demidov

Looks pretty good to me if Huberdeau can at least bounce back to point per game form under MSL. Habs have most of the core locked up on bargain contracts now and can afford to take a high risk high reward gamble like this one IMO.
did u know most of the top prospects of next years draft are high end forwards and that habs will likely suck. Odds have us at 2nd to worse team.

I'd rather fill that by 2025 1rst or Newhook

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
hell no.... Habs already have three $8M salaries ont he books for 6-8 years already, and will have 4-5 pretty big RFA contracts to sign over the next 4 years. Trading for Huberdeau means theyd have to trade some of those
Actually we have none. :)

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Three offers that are even worse than the OP for Montreal.

1. The Canadiens get an additional big money, long-term contract (Kadri) so they can get rid of two guys with one-year left on their contracts (Dvorak and Armia)?

2. Habs add another big contract (Huberdeau) while not getting rid of any, lose Newhook (I can't think of anyone else who would be considered a 2nd-line winger on Montreal's roster), and get second-round picks in '25 and '26 for a '26 third round pick?

3. Gally and an unprotected first-round pick for nothing? Please tell me this was sarcasm.
Ok, switch Newhook toa 3rd liner, but somwhow playable 3rd liner.

Or Huberdeau for Gallagher + 1st

• Wow
Reactions: Imgoingtowork

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
huberdeau would be 3rd among habs forwards in scoring this season and 2nd last season. gallagher was in 6th and had the worst +/- on the team and anderson was 9th. huberdeau is overpaid but gallagher and anderson are running on fumes.
You don't seem to understand usage & deployment.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
huberdeau would be 3rd among habs forwards in scoring this season and 2nd last season. gallagher was in 6th and had the worst +/- on the team and anderson was 9th. huberdeau is overpaid but gallagher and anderson are running on fumes.
Huberdeau is the opposite of what we want and he's a long term anchor. Gallagher is still useful. Both Gallagher and Anderson will be off the books soon. This makes zero sense at all for the Habs and would be doing Calgary an enormous favour for literally zero benefit.

Reactions: viceroy

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Three offers that are even worse than the OP for Montreal.

1. The Canadiens get an additional big money, long-term contract (Kadri) so they can get rid of two guys with one-year left on their contracts (Dvorak and Armia)?

2. Habs add another big contract (Huberdeau) while not getting rid of any, lose Newhook (I can't think of anyone else who would be considered a 2nd-line winger on Montreal's roster), and get second-round picks in '25 and '26 for a '26 third round pick?

3. Gally and an unprotected first-round pick for nothing? Please tell me this was sarcasm.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Reactions: CTHabsfan

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
Ok, switch Newhook toa 3rd liner, but somwhow playable 3rd liner.

Or Huberdeau for Gallagher + 1st
No to both suggestions. Yes, Jonathan Huberdeau is better than Brendan Gallagher, but he also has a contract that pays a lot more money and goes an additional four years. The Canadiens don't trade Gally straight up for Huberdeau, much less add.

Reactions: viceroy

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
No to both suggestions. Yes, Jonathan Huberdeau is better than Brendan Gallagher, but he also has a contract that pays a lot more money and goes an additional four years. The Canadiens don't trade Gally straight up for Huberdeau, much less add.
Hubey could rebound, and he is playable in top 6, and could plus up his tradevalue, while retained. Gallagher cant, thats why a straight up trade is out of natrual balance. Hubey retained a bit gives a spring for the other team to trade to another 3rd team, when its time to do it. Gallagher is a un-costcontrolled 4th liner, bit maybe goes to LTIR his last year. He is an even bigger capdump. Say the flames retain 2,75 millions, thats a retain for 7 years. Hubey goes down to 7,75, and suddenly thats a worthy top6 salary. Hubey for me seems to thrive when he has a buddy to play with that understands his high senses and creativity. Hubey lives and dies with his creativity on ice.

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Would he be an improvement over Slavkofsky? Caufield? Demidov? Possibly Dach? Anyone they could possibly be acquired through trade or FA? That's who he'd have to displace for this deal to make sense. You're not paying that kind of money for someone who will be a third liner in 2 years.

Plus, I don't like the idea of helping the Flames tank. They keep him and they have a better chance of picking just outside the top 10.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Would he be an improvement over Slavkofsky? Caufield? Demidov? Possibly Dach? Anyone they could possibly be acquired through trade or FA? That's who he'd have to displace for this deal to make sense. You're not paying that kind of money for someone who will be a third liner in 2 years.

Plus, I don't like the idea of helping the Flames tank. They keep him and they have a better chance of picking just outside the top 10.
Have you seen our blueline? We have 2 top 5 defensemen. We have 2 NHL centers. Our goalies have potential, but no experience. The only way we finish outside the bottom 10 is if Wolf wins at least the Calder and is a Vezina candidate. MTL fans should be cheering like crazy for Wolf...

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Hubey could rebound, and he is playable in top 6, and could plus up his tradevalue, while retained. Gallagher cant, thats why a straight up trade is out of natrual balance. Hubey retained a bit gives a spring for the other team to trade to another 3rd team, when its time to do it. Gallagher is a un-costcontrolled 4th liner, bit maybe goes to LTIR his last year. He is an even bigger capdump. Say the flames retain 2,75 millions, thats a retain for 7 years. Hubey goes down to 7,75, and suddenly thats a worthy top6 salary. Hubey for me seems to thrive when he has a buddy to play with that understands his high senses and creativity. Hubey lives and dies with his creativity on ice.
And for the gold medal in Olympic mental gymnastics goes to....

SWEDISHFIRE!!!!

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
Why is it Hubey could rebound and Gally cannot? While I'm not suggesting Gallagher will return to his peak, he did close out this past season with ten points in ten games.

Why would it be so horrible if Gallagher goes on LTIR? His $6.5 million would come off the salary cap.

The Canadiens aren't contending for the Cup next season and wouldn't want Huberdeau (even at $7.75 million) when they are ready to contend. If there is "another 3rd team" that has interest in Huberdeau with retention, trade him to that team. There's no reason to get the Canadiens involved.

Hoochi Papa

Oct 17, 2020
1sts from multiple teams was the claim.
Devils need a player with his calibre badly, like 2nd overall for Nemec is in play badly. Ugh, Rangers better get a big + behind Lafreniere or we're not talking.

Calgary should retain 2.5-3 million and do this trade. They want to tank. Well guess who were key players in Montreal's rebuild?
Gallagher and Anderson brought us Slafkovsky, Reinbacher (could've had Michkov) and Demidov. These guys are the keys to a panzer Ferrari. Your team won't be sinking like a rock - imagine a mountain snapping in half and the upper part crashing to the ocean. Anderson and his black hole of hockey IQ will turn Connor McDavid into late career Derek Stepan. Everyone next to him look like an utter shit because he can only bull rush with the puck (which works once in 15-20 games). His puckhandling is closer to playing with a ringette stick, you wouldn't believe there's an actual blade in that pole.

Gallagher collects idiotic penalties while trying to act as a quasi leader with a lot of heart and soul. His brand of hockey is out of date and his body is worn out because of it. Instead of reinventing himself and trying be more than a nuisance, he'll try to act tough, bouncing around the ice like a cannonball covered in molasses. Big redemption year brought around 30 points. Just imagine how bad this could be next three seasons.

If Calgary wants a solid tank, where you dig in deep in the depths of shitpit to collect big fat nuggets covered in gold, these are your men. People who get the job done with guaranteed results. Or you can hang around in no man's land, picking Lias Anderssons and Lawson Crouses. You don't know how to compete with Ottawa, Columbus or Anaheim when we go down in the shitbiz. Do you really believe they will stick around and wait for you while GM tries to find a solid skilled hockey trade for Huberdeau?

They're gone. Tanking means you need overpriced has and never will beens to handle the puck like a hand granade. These two will you to places. To the depths of hell and draft day nirvana. Take your destiny in your own hands. Be proactive and accelerate the evident.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad