Proposal: Huberdeau for Josh Anderson and Brendan Gallagher

Bond

May 10, 2012
Flames would easily do it because of contract lengths. I’m not sure Huberdeau would waive though, he’d get destroyed in Habs media.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
No way. Montreal gains barely any cap room in the immediate future, and in 3 years, instead of having roster spots opening up, would be stuck with an ageing Huberdeau just when most of the current core would be in its prime. Heck, we'd be condeming Suzuki to never playing on a winner, if Montreal gets a 10.5M cap anchor with a contract longer than as Suzuki's.

I'd rather pray Gallagher ends up on LTIR and play Anderson on a 4th line, or move him at 50% in a year when Montreal gets a couple of retention spots back, than get a long term cap anchor.

Reactions: viceroy

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
We'd do it even though Huberdeau is better today because the contracts expire sooner. I still have hope we can discuss with Chicago what they put on Hossa's equipment near the end of Huberdeau's deal when we start to need the cap space again.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Doesn't really make sense for either team.
Montreal's below the cap. Doesn't really have anything important to sign anytime soon, has bad money coming off the year and then only a couple more years with a couple bad contracts.

Calgary is the lowest cap team in the league. With really no one to sign to major pay increases coming anytime soon (Maybe Zary and Pospisil, but neither are like 7M+ guys). That Huberdeau contract is an anchor and there's not much to do with it. Calgary won't be competitive by the time they'll need that cap anyway by which time they can pay for someone to take 1-2 year of it.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
He would do to us what Tavares has done to the leafs, except Tavares at least still had solid production, even if he was superfluous.
That's true. That's the downside. Tavares started that overpay trend on the Leafs

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Hughes has already said he won't be signing or trading for any player with a contract that doesn't fit their rebuild timeline, which is what Huberdeau has, therefore, close it up!

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
I'm surprised Habs fans don't want Huberdeau over Gallagher and Anderson. He could jump start your rebuild
Gallagher is still serviceable on the fourth line and we're not unloading Anderson to get an even worse contract. It's really not that hard to understand.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Flames <-- Gallagher, Anderson, Dvorak, Armia, Price

Habs <-- Huberdeau, Kadri, Andersson

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The term is the killer, not so much the yearly cap hit (which is still large). If he had only 3-4 years remaining, I could see a team like Montreal having interest, but like 7 years left is way too much.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Huberdeau is a massive bitch and has the worse contract in the entire league.
He's not the first thing. He is the second thing. He's been fine in the room and accountable throughout.

Doesn't really make sense for either team.
Montreal's below the cap. Doesn't really have anything important to sign anytime soon, has bad money coming off the year and then only a couple more years with a couple bad contracts.

Calgary is the lowest cap team in the league. With really no one to sign to major pay increases coming anytime soon (Maybe Zary and Pospisil, but neither are like 7M+ guys). That Huberdeau contract is an anchor and there's not much to do with it. Calgary won't be competitive by the time they'll need that cap anyway by which time they can pay for someone to take 1-2 year of it.
It makes sense for us, but I agree with you. Just hold that bad cap and use it to get to the floor. We are at least 5 years away from a competitive window if we build properly anyway. At that time there's 2 years left and we can figure out what to do based on our needs at the time.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
That's true. That's the downside. Tavares started that overpay trend on the Leafs
But Caufield, Suzuki and Slaf are already signed long term so there's no risk of Huberdeau inflating other guys' salaries.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
But Caufield, Suzuki and Slaf are already signed long term so there's no risk of Huberdeau inflating other guys' salaries.
Dach?
Demidov in 4 years?

Unless CGY retains for Huberdeau salary to be around 6.6M (1M less than Slaf) Habs dont touch this

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Huberdeau is way more skilled than both, but that contract... nope, even if I dislike Anderson to the utmost.

Thing is, both Anderson and Gallagher are overpaid, but both seems well-liked in the lockerroom, especially Gallagher, who finally seems to have accepted the rebuild. Both won't provide much offense, even secondary, but I prefer to keep the team spirit as it is.

And Huberdeau would be a huge distraction, not because of his contract, but more because of our dumbass local medias who will pressure him like if he was a f***ing hero, and I don't think that's his style at all...

Reactions: junyab

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Gallagher and Anderson have cap hits of 6.5 and 5.5 million for three more seasons, done at the end of 26-27 season.

Both players are overpaid by a combined 6-7M but offer some intangibles to a rebuiding team. Grit/leadership/physicality. ETC.

Huberdeau has a cap hit of 10.5 million for an additional 4 years, it just doesn't seem that enticing. When habs are ready to compete (hopefully 26-27) he'll be 34 years old.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Imagine if you are the owner and someone offers to take off what .. 36M from those 2 contracts for the price of 74M remaining on Huberdeau's contract.

50% on JH would pretty much even out the cap hit and still i would ask for some extra payment to make it happen on the basis that the habs are taking on several more years more of JH than either other player in the deal.

And im actually intrigued by JH in montreal; if he needs a Barkov to make a 100 pts, i wonder what a Suzuki can do with him.

Donner

Jul 16, 2022
What about Dach?

Caufield-Suzuki-Slafkovsky
Huberdeau-Dach-Demidov

Looks pretty good to me if Huberdeau can at least bounce back to point per game form under MSL. Habs have most of the core locked up on bargain contracts now and can afford to take a high risk high reward gamble like this one IMO.
Huberdeau ain't bouncing back to ppg, he's washed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad