How long before Shero feels the pressure? Fire Shero?

How long until you hold him accountable?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I had no problem, based on how both goalies played down the stretch, with giving a Cory/Blackwood tandem a shot this year. Unfortunately we found out that Cory is well and truly cooked, but at least we finally know and can hopefully plan accordingly.

As for Lehner, who the hell knows if Shero inquired, or if Lehner even had any interest. It's the same old "nothing happened so he must not have tried" arguments that end up with posts getting deleted and/or warnings handed out, and both sides going back to their respective corners, not having changed their opponents mind one bit.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
A plan B for the goaltending would have been someone on Domingue’s level.

They were not going to spend major assets and money on a third goalie. It wasn’t going to happen. We don’t really have the assets to even do that by camp as we traded a bunch of decent value draft picks for roster players (which we needed to do).

Blackwood earned a spot on this team (and continues to do so as all but one of our wins have come with him in net). Cory’s contract is a big hurdle and his improved play earned him a shot.

Edit: it’s also forgotten that both goalies looked excellent in preseason. They earned their chances.

remember that time in the second period of opening night when the devils were up 4-0 and schneider looked good?.......that was awesome

Reactions: My3Sons

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
My point is Shero needs to be better than this. All signs coming from management and ownership was that this was a turnaround year. Shero even said he wishes he had seen the red flags in training camp.

The whole front office made a big misevaluation.

yep,,, they splurged and it backfired, they have either woefully misevaluated their talent, have a terrible coaching staff, or don't know how to build a successful hockey franchise.

Shero has done a lot of good things.. he has some talent in certain areas, even not re -signing taylor hall looks to be a really astute play at this point,( maybe it was more hall's doing) but nonetheless he will get credit.

We are fans and not GMS's and for good reason, we don't know what we are doing most of the time. We want a thoughtful person in charge not making rash decisions...however I do think now that time has come and gone. We are sitting in last place with the worst win total in the NHL and have looked bad in the process. This crap on the ice is not going to turn around magically. Anyone that has watched this season will agree that this is exactly what we are in for ..win 1 lose 2 or 3 thats it. we don't have anything in place properly to think otherwise.

That being said I will assume this team doesn't turn a profit unless they get a few playoff games, hopefully the owners will step in at some point and say to shero we need playoff ticket sales ...I'm paying $9,000,000 to a defenseman that can't make it on the power play, I young exciting talent on the roster and the team is about as fun to watch as the 4th quarter of the 4th pre season NFL games...

I am at my low point as a fan of this team.. cheers

Reactions: The Joker

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
yep,,, they splurged and it backfired, they have either woefully misevaluated their talent, have a terrible coaching staff, or don't know how to build a successful hockey franchise.

Shero has done a lot of good things.. he has some talent in certain areas, even not re -signing taylor hall looks to be a really astute play at this point,( maybe it was more hall's doing) but nonetheless he will get credit.

We are fans and not GMS's and for good reason, we don't know what we are doing most of the time. We want a thoughtful person in charge not making rash decisions...however I do think now that time has come and gone. We are sitting in last place with the worst win total in the NHL and have looked bad in the process. This crap on the ice is not going to turn around magically. Anyone that has watched this season will agree that this is exactly what we are in for ..win 1 lose 2 or 3 thats it. we don't have anything in place properly to think otherwise.

That being said I will assume this team doesn't turn a profit unless they get a few playoff games, hopefully the owners will step in at some point and say to shero we need playoff ticket sales ...I'm paying $9,000,000 to a defenseman that can't make it on the power play, I young exciting talent on the roster and the team is about as fun to watch as the 4th quarter of the 4th pre season NFL games...

I am at my low point as a fan of this team.. cheers
I do not disagree with much of your post, but based on Hall's comments in the summer the Devils wanted to see him play before offering him a deal.

“It seems like both sides are OK with going into camp and into the season without a new contract," Hall said. "It’s really only in the last few years where there’s this whole paranoia about players playing the last season of their contract. So, we have a lot of time. I’m coming off a season where I played 33 games. I think, from the Devils’ perspective and maybe from Ray’s -- I don’t want to speak for him -- but I think they want to see me play and see how I do and see how I fit in with the team and I’m just as excited to see that as well.”

Here’s what Devils’ Taylor Hall, Ray Shero said about forward’s contract talks

IMO one of the reasons they traded for Gusev is they thought they may need a top 6 LW because of the possibility of Hall struggling after his injury/not being re signed. Obviously it is taking Gusev some time to get his game together but he does show the ability to finish which is something the Devils sorely lack.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
My point is Shero needs to be better than this. All signs coming from management and ownership was that this was a turnaround year. Shero even said he wishes he had seen the red flags in training camp.

The whole front office made a big misevaluation.

It seems to me nobody saw the red flags in camp. If you didn’t then it’s not particularly insightful to say they should have seen this coming now. If you want to say Shero has given Hynes or Cory too much leash I get that but attacking people in hindsight and acting as if it was obvious is best left to plaintiff lawyers.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
It seems to me nobody saw the red flags in camp. If you didn’t then it’s not particularly insightful to say they should have seen this coming now. If you want to say Shero has given Hynes or Cory too much leash I get that but attacking people in hindsight and acting as if it was obvious is best left to plaintiff lawyers.
There have been red flags since Ray got here. Just because most posters didn’t recognize them or still don’t think they were there doesn’t mean some of us didn’t see them (and still do).

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
remember that time in the second period of opening night when the devils were up 4-0 and schneider looked good?.......that was awesome
Given the offseason add's, then a fun preseason, then being up 4-0, who didn't think we were on our way?

Crazy how it crumbled after that.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
As for Lehner, who the hell knows if Shero inquired, or if Lehner even had any interest. It's the same old "nothing happened so he must not have tried" arguments that end up with posts getting deleted and/or warnings handed out, and both sides going back to their respective corners, not having changed their opponents mind one bit.
I remember an interview with Shero over the summer where he was saying Cory's play at the end of the season and in the WC had taken a lot off his mind. He made it sound like he was no longer worried about our goaltending and wasn't going to be looking for one over the summer.

I would think he would have found a vet to add to Bing to replace Lack if he had any worries about it at all. In fact, I was shocked he didn't. I think there had to be SOME Lack-level goalie available over the off-season.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The extent to which many Devils fans go to make excuses for a GM who has won one playoff game is pretty remarkable.
It can't be ignored the situation the team was in when he got here.

I also think it is fair to say Ray has installed a proper rebuild plan, tons of draft picks, trades acquiring young(ish) talent, using cap space to acquiring talent.

But given the results, especially this season, I do think it is fair to start to turn a critical eye towards Shero. The plan looks good, but has he executed properly? We have acquired talent but does it mesh? Should he have done more at goalie? And of course, his loyalty to Hynes.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I remember an interview with Shero over the summer where he was saying Cory's play at the end of the season and in the WC had taken a lot off his mind. He made it sound like he was no longer worried about our goaltending and wasn't going to be looking for one over the summer.

I would think he would have found a vet to add to Bing to replace Lack if he had any worries about it at all. In fact, I was shocked he didn't. I think there had to be SOME Lack-level goalie available over the off-season.
I agree I would have liked to have seen that veteran insurance policy, but the Domingue trade did show how easy it is to find a guy like that.

So goalie was has been an achillies heel for this team, but given Cory's contract and deteriorating play it was not an easy situation to navigate.

Reactions: My3Sons and Nubmer6

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
I agree I would have liked to have seen that veteran insurance policy, but the Domingue trade did show how easy it is to find a guy like that.

So goalie was has been an achillies heel for this team, but given Cory's contract and deteriorating play it was not an easy situation to navigate.

and really not having any other viable options other than MB in the system.. i think with the goaltending it was a situation where you needed the best possible outcome...i think everyone knew the goaltending was the elephant in the room.. its a little more consistent now but I wouldn't say good.. I yearn for the days when goaltending is front and center the conversation with this club. We are so bad its a footnote ..

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
The old saying " you are never as good or as bad as you think"... I do think there is a lot of wisdom in this cliche... however i do think the devils are as bad as we think ... which is a bottom 3 team in this league currently.. I have not see signs that they can go on any kind of winning streak. I have yet to see this team play well for more than a game in a row.. that is my biggest concern.. the inconsistency with this club is amazingly and historically poor. That's really what tells me a coaching change is long overdue... the team is in a rut .. guys are going. through the motions ..watch zajac play for instance, i mean his game is so vanilla at this point i don't even know what to think.. Hischier, Hall, Bratt, Wood.. etc.. these guys are all having awful seasons in my opinion.. too many guys playing bad hockey...

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
It can't be ignored the situation the team was in when he got here.

I also think it is fair to say Ray has installed a proper rebuild plan, tons of draft picks, trades acquiring young(ish) talent, using cap space to acquiring talent.

But given the results, especially this season, I do think it is fair to start to turn a critical eye towards Shero. The plan looks good, but has he executed properly? We have acquired talent but does it mesh? Should he have done more at goalie? And of course, his loyalty to Hynes.

And sure, he should be graded on a curve accordingly. But it’s Year Five of the Shero era and the Devils are currently sitting 30th overall, are stuck with some dicey contracts that Shero gave out and/or acquired, Hall is heading down the Tavares career path, and despite falling into 2 #1 overall picks, there is no real evidence the corner is about to be turned.

I dunno...if y’all are happy with him, good on you. I just can’t think of another fan base that is so comfortable with the GM of team that is this bad in year 5 of a rebuild despite good lottery fortune.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I'm at the point where I realize I may need to change my vote. I gave Shero until Thanksgving to either sign Hall or ship him out, and that's not done either. Hopefully soon. Cant risk him getting a season-ending injury & losing him for nada.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The old saying " you are never as good or as bad as you think"... I do think there is a lot of wisdom in this cliche... however i do think the devils are as bad as we think ... which is a bottom 3 team in this league currently.. I have not see signs that they can go on any kind of winning streak. I have yet to see this team play well for more than a game in a row.. that is my biggest concern.. the inconsistency with this club is amazingly and historically poor. That's really what tells me a coaching change is long overdue... the team is in a rut .. guys are going. through the motions ..watch zajac play for instance, i mean his game is so vanilla at this point i don't even know what to think.. Hischier, Hall, Bratt, Wood.. etc.. these guys are all having awful seasons in my opinion.. too many guys playing bad hockey...
I don't think the Devils are this bad.

Certainly the goal tending needs to be at least OK, if we continue to get sub 90% save percentage or worse, then we are never going to get going.

I still think this team has talent, these 20 games do not change my opinion. Now either they need to mesh with how Hynes wants them to play or they need to get a new coach, but the talent, imo, should be better then the results thus far.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
the rebuild plan is fine, however in order for that plan to be successful the young players need to develop. right now we are seeing high ceiling players in their 3rd and 4th years stagnate at the nhl level and the ahl players have been stagnant as well. you need both players and coaches and while we have talented young players the coaches have not been getting the most out of them

Reactions: My3Sons

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'm at the point where I realize I may need to change my vote. I gave Shero until Thanksgving to either sign Hall or ship him out, and that's not done either. Hopefully soon. Cant risk him getting a season-ending injury & losing him for nada.
But Hall's uninsired play coming back off a knee injury is not exactly driving up his value.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
the rebuild plan is fine, however in order for that plan to be successful the young players need to develop. right now we are seeing high ceiling players in their 3rd and 4th years stagnate at the nhl level and the ahl players have been stagnant as well. you need both players and coaches and while we have talented young players the coaches have not been getting the most out of them
I do have an inkling of thought that Hynes is maybe doing the right thing in not letting them go run and gun, which would lead to higher point totals but is not a style that is proven to win cups.

I know there are multiple potential arguments against that, but I can still maybe see it.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Ray Shero is a slave to the notion that coaching doesn’t matter. Just do whatever he and the computer says. If it doesn’t result in wins, there are a million excuses you can throw out there. That’s why he’s still employed.

A lot of GMs took advantage of Peter Chiarelli. A lot of GMs know how to take advantage of teams that have cap problems. Every GM can pick the top ranked prospect in the draft.

But not very GM is a consistent loser like Shero and very few GMs have the chutzpah to intentionally lose season after season. He has the perfect boss in Josh Harris who has pursued the exactly same strategy in Philly, but this time around has a pliant group of sports writers that cover the team that don’t ask too many questions.

Shero should be fired.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Ray Shero is a slave to the notion that coaching doesn’t matter. Just do whatever he and the computer says. If it doesn’t result in wins, there are a million excuses you can throw out there. That’s why he’s still employed.

A lot of GMs took advantage of Peter Chiarelli. A lot of GMs know how to take advantage of teams that have cap problems. Every GM can pick the top ranked prospect in the draft.

But not very GM is a consistent loser like Shero and very few GMs have the chutzpah to intentionally lose season after season. He has the perfect boss in Josh Harris who has pursued the exactly same strategy in Philly, but this time around has a pliant group of sports writers that cover the team that don’t ask too many questions.

Shero should be fired.

His patience with the cap space is what allowed us to acquire players at a discount.

His patience with the coach may be his downfall.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017

Shero should be fired.

this.

These constant lineup changes and lack of a coaching change indicate the devils are being run by their analytic departments. Their analytic hire does not seem to be paying off at all.

This just doesn’t work in hockey like in baseball yet. The devils are going the player friendly coach route because they feel he just needs to be a mediator and facilitator rather than a coach.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
this.

These constant lineup changes
and lack of a coaching change indicate the devils are being run by their analytic departments. Their analytic hire does not seem to be paying off at all.

This just doesn’t work in hockey like in baseball yet. The devils are going the player friendly coach route because they feel he just needs to be a mediator and facilitator rather than a coach.
It does?

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
His patience with the cap space is what allowed us to acquire players at a discount.

His patience with the coach may be his downfall.

PK Subban and Gusev are playing like replacement level players. The cap space he saves from trading Taylor Hall at pennies on the dollar will be similarly wastes.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Shero should be fired.
What is the basis of your thinking on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad