How good do we think we are?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

With all this are we a contender talk, where do folks rank us right now?

• Total voters

mike1320

Interesting our front office undervalued profit what Pietro would bring in to them in 8-year spann. Not even talking what money they would invest in when Pietro would retire as a Bluenote. So much opportunities.

All that marketing and franchise face to the St Louis city? You all that lose + NHL top5 dmen just for you didn't give the your best player of all time security so he can keep his family safe and play where he was drafted and retire as a Bluenote.

I say this

This

Was

Disgrace.
200.gif

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
Interesting our front office undervalued profit what Pietro would bring in to them in 8-year spann. Not even talking what money they would invest in when Pietro would retire as a Bluenote. So much opportunities.

All that marketing and franchise face to the St Louis city? You all that lose + NHL top5 dmen just for you didn't give the your best player of all time security so he can keep his family safe and play where he was drafted and retire as a Bluenote.

I say this

This

Was

Disgrace.

I largely agree with you, I'm not happy but it is what it is. Just accept it and move on.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I largely agree with you, I'm not happy but it is what it is. Just accept it and move on.
I have accept it when it was done. I just wonder how much in reality Blues and St Louis lost in this once in the life time move.

I will re-evaluate this in future more and when season starts I will look it even more deeply. Stats wise etc. If it's too hard to follow ignore me.

To me it's interesting to see how this will build up.

Reactions: Vollie27

Quaz

Mar 15, 2006
St Louis
I have accept it when it was done. I just wonder how much in reality Blues and St Louis lost in this once in the life time move.

I will re-evaluate this in future more and when season starts I will look it even more deeply. Stats wise etc. If it's too hard to follow ignore me.

To me it's interesting to see how this will build up.

I would have liked to have seen Petro play his whole career here as well, but I think that fans in St Louis will love Krug. He is a feisty heart and soul type of player. It would be unfair to compare and judge him based on what Petro could bring. Krug was a fan favorite and played top 4 minutes for a team that made it to the finals. Carlo who he was paired with was a younger player. I think he will do well this year and Blues will still be a contender.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
I think we make the playoffs, win a round, and are a tough out in the second. Probably best case scenario. 0% we make Cup Finals.

Yeah, someone please tell me again that no one is downplaying the Blues...

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
There's always going to be pessimistic fans, especially on a board for the Blues. So I'm not sure what you expect.

Do you expect everyone to share the same opinion as you in terms of how good this team is and how far they can go? I don't think this board has ever come to a unanimous agreement about anything other than the Blackhawks suck and Stan Kroenke is an asshole.

But I for one disagree with the idea that the Blues have 0% chance to make the finals, if we're gonna get down to the specifics of the post you were quoting. And I'm okay with that. Why aren't you okay with it?

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
First round exit last year and we got significantly worse. I don’t see how anyone could think this team has a realistic shot at actually competing for anything meaningful.

Reactions: Vollie27 and Ranksu

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
First round exit last year and we got significantly worse. I don’t see how anyone could think this team has a realistic shot at actually competing for anything meaningful.
We were best team in West until stoppage. Then we had Covid outbreak on team and struggled in bubble. But sure, we can pretend like we weren’t contender last year. And ignore that we added 2 key pieces and only lost 1.

mike1320

We were best team in West until stoppage. Then we had Covid outbreak on team and struggled in bubble. But sure, we can pretend like we weren’t contender last year. And ignore that we added 2 key pieces and only lost 1.
There's going to be a small contingent of people kinda sorta "hate watching" the Blues this year, hoping that they fail so they can rub everyone's nose in the loss of Petro (who may or may not have wanted to sign here no matter what). Such a weird flex

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
There's going to be a small contingent of people kinda sorta "hate watching" the Blues this year, hoping that they fail so they can rub everyone's nose in the loss of Petro (who may or may not have wanted to sign here no matter what). Such a weird flex
Seems like the sort of thing that's probably better to comment on once it actually happens.

Unless you're making a prediction, in which case I then predict there's going to be a small contingent of people on here who are hoping that it doesn't come to pass just so that they can rub your nose in it. ;)

mike1320

Seems like the sort of thing that's probably better to comment on once it actually happens.

Unless you're making a prediction, in which case I then predict there's going to be a small contingent of people on here who are hoping that it doesn't come to pass just so that they can rub your nose in it. ;)
Don't be coy... you know that small handful of people I'm talking about

ThunderCat

Feb 16, 2019

I think Petro wanted to move on...
Some people will never accept that tho!

Seems like him n his agents played the media so he didn't come out as the "bad guy'.. leaving St. Louis!

And weren't their already rumors he was interested in Vegas, and knew he was leaving St. Louis during the bubble!?
I think the whole hugging Perron after being knocked out of the playoffs.. tells a lot!
Like he knew it was already over..

Who knows!? I'm just glad Army didn't bite on his demands..

I doubt Petro's ever gonna come out publicly and say he'd rather raise a family in sunny Vegas.. rather than St. Louis.
Especially as a millionaire..

His contracts gonna be a joke in a few years..
9-mill in his late 30's with a full NTC..
Ha..no thanks!

I'd rather save that money for Parayko!

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Don't be coy... you know that small handful of people I'm talking about
I know who you're talking about.

The assumption that they will be hoping the Blues fail just so they can rub everyone's nose in it seems like a pretty darn extreme read into their motivations and future actions, stated as fact.

It would be like me stating as fact that you will be hoping the Blues win it all just so you can pettily rub their noses in it. Bet you're surprised to find out this way, but I wanted to make sure you have all season to make it come true.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis

This is kind of a shallow way to look at the changes to the team. For one, we lost 2 key pieces. Bouwmeester is a big loss.

Pietrangelo -> Krug (downgrade)
Bouwmeester -> Scandella (downgrade)
Steen -> Clifford (downgrade)
Allen -> Husso (downgrade)
-> Hoffman (free upgrade)

Whether or not the team is better or worse is unknown, as the team hasn't played together yet. But it's understandable for someone to think that the team has gotten a tad worse, looking at these changes on paper. Although I will say the people saying that we're gonna miss the playoffs are nuts and are completely overreacting. If this team misses the playoffs it would be one of the biggest stories of the year around the league.

But I do believe it's perfectly acceptable for someone to believe we've taken a step back. With the losses of Pietrangelo and Bouwmeester especially, team defense obviously took a hit. We can't load those guys up on ice time and shut down top opposing players. Krug and Scandella are nice, but I'd rather have Pietrangelo or Bouwmeester defending against MacKinnon coming down the wing, and I think most people would agree. Yeah, we still have Parayko, but he can't do it all.

I think it comes down to how Berube and the team reacts to the changes. Can our system adapt to the new personnel and maximize their strengths like we did when Berube took over? Or are we going to be stubborn and try to hang on to the same identity that won us the Cup? Can the team we have now operate under that same system and be just as successful? I don't think so. I think we need to shift a bit towards focusing on offense. With the additions of Krug and Hoffman, who are both strong offensively, it only makes sense to focus a bit more on scoring. Those are key players that are going to be getting a good chunk of ice time.

As of now, I'm taking a neutral approach and saying that we could be just as good as we have been the last couple years, or we could be a bit worse. There are too many factors to say for sure. But if you're one of those people that somehow know the team is this or that before seeing them play, I'd like to know where you got your crystal ball and if they're on sale.

Last edited:

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
It could be worse, we could have not traded for Faulk, lost Pietrangelo, and brought back Shattenkirk as our #2 RHD in free agency this off season.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO

You might be right.

Then again Chicago won the Presidents Trophy, got demolished in round 1 by Nashville and haven’t been the same since.

Past seasons aren’t indicative of future results.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
It could be worse, we could have not traded for Faulk, lost Pietrangelo, and brought back Shattenkirk as our #2 RHD in free agency this off season.
I think Shattery = Faulk are pretty much same. Only difference is Faulk is getting 6.5mill.$ AAV and Shattery 3.9mill.$

They both are 3rd pair dmen. Only difference Faulk is paid for top3-4 dmen money and now is forced to play top4, 'cus Bortuzzo isnt top4 dmen. Maybe Mikkola could slide top4.

I think Faulk will go same path as Shattery bought out and sign new contract league minimum.

I would take Shattery 3.9mill.$ vs Faulk 6.5mill.$ in any day of week.

I still dont understand that move what Army did.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I'm going to tag you every time Pietro gets point or Faulk turn over puck or lose his 1on1 battle.

giphy.gif

Btw Pietro wanted sign here it has been noted. Army just wanted to hold everybody's balls so he didn't give Pietro his security (NMC), which Army did tell. Dont talk bs Pietro didnt want to sign in Blues.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Not expecting a whole lot this season, but then I remind myself things looked pretty bleak in Blues Land in December 2018.

That turned out pretty well.

Reactions: Reality Czech

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

I don't worry about other peoples' opinions too much, they are allowed to decide for themselves. But the poster you quoted is flat out wrong....any objective analyst would say the Blues have greater than a 0% chance to win the Cup this year. Vegas gives us the 7th best odds to win the Cup, so obviously most people think we have a pretty decent chance. The lesson here is that some people will never be satisfied unless we win the Cup every season and that the team keeps getting better and better until they go 82-0.

Teams don't even "have to be" one of the best regular season teams, as we have seen so many times. It's all about giving yourself a chance to win, and I don't see how anyone can say this team has no chance to win the Cup.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad