How do you fix the Wings?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
He smirked when he said "upper body injury" haha

Thought that was funny too. Did Larkin have a hangnail or something? Said he needed minor surgery but Yzerman presented it more like it was “surgery” than what the word typically invokes.

Expected to be 100% by camp though so that’s good.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
It's actually getting annoying. He hasn't done much as a GM of the Detroit Red Wings. His clout as a player keeps his approval rate so high. If he was Steve (any other last name) we wouldn't be this patient I believe.

I think this is overstated. I started regularly watching the Wings the season Yzerman was named captain. I've been a massive fan of his as a player his whole career. But it's not like I evaluate his GM moves thinking "remember that time he scored the OT goal against St. Louis?" I think it's probably his work as GM in Tampa that gets him more leeway. We've all seen that great players don't always make the best coaches and GMs.

I think one of the better things Yzerman has done is avoided making flashy moves that cripple a rebuild (see: nearly every other team rebuilding). Honestly it feels like there's a good chance this season may be a step backwards in terms of the playoffs, which would suck, but will hopefully continue laying the foundation for a Cup competitive team for several years.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I think this is overstated. I started regularly watching the Wings the season Yzerman was named captain. I've been a massive fan of his as a player his whole career. But it's not like I evaluate his GM moves thinking "remember that time he scored the OT goal against St. Louis?" I think it's probably his work as GM in Tampa that gets him more leeway. We've all seen that great players don't always make the best coaches and GMs.

I think one of the better things Yzerman has done is avoided making flashy moves that cripple a rebuild (see: nearly every other team rebuilding). Honestly it feels like there's a good chance this season may be a step backwards in terms of the playoffs, which would suck, but will hopefully continue laying the foundation for a Cup competitive team for several years.

I think a step backwards could be a disaster...NJ, Ott and Buf are not going to sit idly by and Mont and Philly are coming on...

A lousy season that we pick #9 in 2025 likely pushes us into that "rebuild the rebuild" territory..

We need to keep moving forward

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It's actually getting annoying. He hasn't done much as a GM of the Detroit Red Wings. His clout as a player keeps his approval rate so high. If he was Steve (any other last name) we wouldn't be this patient I believe.

Pure bullshit.

He did great moves as Tampa GM, and has been doing the same at Detroit.

Continous good building.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Pure bullshit.

He did great moves as Tampa GM, and has been doing the same at Detroit.

Continous good building.

It's astonishing to me that Yzerman selects two of the best players in their respective drafts despite not having a top 3 pick, he still gets criticism for "not doing much". People are ignorant.

Yzerman has been doing a fantastic job. This is the most exciting DRW team I have watched since the Zetterberg+Datsyuk+Lidstom era. And they continue to progressively get better.

People have unrealistic expectations and think because they can hit a button on NHL PS5, then the real world also has that capability. Maybe they think they live in a Matrix.... Kinda sad, really!

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl

Yep, as the team looks today I think even if they don't regress and maybe hit 93 points it won't be enough. But then I would expect the 2025-2026 season to be a big push year.

I just look at what Yzerman has done, and can't complain besides free agent stuff. Not sure what he could do to make this go faster.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
Yzerman at his presser says we aren’t doing anything about the goalie situation (rip our playoff chances if so), and says Raymond and seider basically won’t be signed by free agency. Pretty much hamstrings us for most of the off season. Wonderful. If we don’t re-sign Kane we will be much worse than last year, barring some sort of revolution from the new young kids.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Yzerman at his presser says we aren’t doing anything about the goalie situation (rip our playoff chances if so), and says Raymond and seider basically won’t be signed by free agency. Pretty much hamstrings us for most of the off season. Wonderful. If we don’t re-sign Kane we will be much worse than last year, barring some sort of revolution from the new young kids.
Even if they gave both Seider and Raymond 10 mil, which won't happen. They would have 9 mil left, I don't see how it would hamstring them.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Most likely in the minority but I don't care as much about getting a goalie than I do about getting an actual NHL defense. If we have to deal with a bottom 4 filled with Petry, Holl, Ghost, Maatta and Chiarot, then Seider will once again have to face the hardest minutes in the league and the goalies will have to keep facing high quality chances after high quality chances. Having an hopefully more mature Edvinsson on the roster should help but that wouldn't be enough imo.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Seider and Raymond being unsigned has ZERO effect for next season.

They will be signed.

My god people are losing their minds at summer.

RFAs most probably sign last. They don't have to be signed before july 1st. They can be signed 1 day before training camp or 1 day before start of the season.

Check the damn history.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

This is a little much don't ya think?

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Hyperbolic to say Yzerman's doing a bad job.

The two guys he's drafted alone is a nice feather in the cap but almost all his trades have been good and not costly.

Average, imo, or is what I'd say he's been so far. I love Yzerman, think he's a good GM too, but If I'm honest with myself, I do think a lot of people could have put the Red Wings into a similar situation this teams in year 6 into their job.

It's even easier for someone to come in an do a worst job though, so, talking out both sides of my mouth... I'd take the bird in hand vs two in the bush.

Reactions: DTR

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad