How do you fix the Wings?

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
You can look at what he did this past season?

But you're purposely using his worst year as a pro to run with your suggestion of he's not worth it.

I am saying he's better than Gibson, especially this last season. He faced more shots, and saved more saves, etc.

We're calculating off a career's worth of work dude, seriously... He's never been bad except 1 year. An you're holding onto it like treasure.

Now it's ok if you don't like trading for a 6 million dollar goalie, or whatever, but it was a good deal for a team that wants a starting goalie that next 2-3 years.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
You can look at what he did this past season?

But you're purposely using his worst year as a pro to run with your suggestion of he's not worth it.
The quote function would help here, fyi.

.905 is still below average. Did you see him in net the last game we played against him? Dude looked terrible. We scored 4 goals on 12 shots against him.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
If SY isn't trying to win then I hope to see him fired.. what kind of thought process is that?

The days of tanking, or at worst not building a competitive roster are over..

If we draft next season higher than 15th OA then the Yzerplan is on poor footing...

Every single season we should be looking to improve by adding both from within and from outside the organization..

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I just have a hard time believing Red Wings are better walking into the season with the player at 15, our current goalies, over Markstrom is all.

Maybe hyperbolic to say he's not trying to win, but man, Yzermans WHOLE thought process has left me feeling rough since TDL. Can't believe a move wasn't made still and I had to watch guys like Zach Aston-Reese/Austin Czarnik down the stretch a tight playoff chase that was decided by a point/game.

Now if this offseason I have to watch the team sit on their hands and just resign some guys, I'm gonna flip. Mostly because I think it's underrated and not suggested enough that the Red Wings are actually losing talent with Sprong/Kane/Gostisbehere out the door. A HUGE step backwards can be made.

Reactions: Holden Caufield

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
The quote function would help here, fyi.

.905 is still below average. Did you see him in net the last game we played against him? Dude looked terrible. We scored 4 goals on 12 shots against him.
FWIW league wide the average save % was .898 last year. That said a differentiation should probably be made between starters and backups but from an entire league perspective Markstrom was above average.

Additionally Money Puck has him as the 9th best goalie in the league for Goals saved above expected.

Hockey Reference has him slightly positive in GSAA at 2.3. This is good for 34th with 12 goalies ahead of him who played less than 30 games. He was 26th in QS% (of goalies who played more than 29 games).

The more I look at it I am glad Yzerman didn't pay that price but its hard to see a goalie upgrade coming to Detroit and that is a problem. Markstrom may have been "the most affordable upgrade"

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
FWIW league wide the average save % was .898 last year. That said a differentiation should probably be made between starters and backups but from an entire league perspective Markstrom was above average.

Additionally Money Puck has him as the 9th best goalie in the league for Goals saved above expected.

Hockey Reference has him slightly positive in GSAA at 2.3. This is good for 34th with 12 goalies ahead of him who played less than 30 games. He was 26th in QS% (of goalies who played more than 29 games).

The more I look at it I am glad Yzerman didn't pay that price but its hard to see a goalie upgrade coming to Detroit and that is a problem. Markstrom may have been "the most affordable upgrade"
If the cost had been more reasonable, I could have been ok with it. I think they were getting value off what he used to be, and at his age, that makes me a bit hesitant.

I do agree we are in a pickle as far as upgrading our goalie situation. I would try to upgrade the blue line and start the year with Lyon and hope for the best as things stand. But I don’t love that.

It’s just hard because goalie is such a scarce commodity.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Now if this offseason I have to watch the team sit on their hands and just resign some guys, I'm gonna flip. Mostly because I think it's underrated and not suggested enough that the Red Wings are actually losing talent with Sprong/Kane/Gostisbehere out the door.

This is what I find to be most concerning about the state of the team. After resigning Raymond and Seider this team will have 12-14(ish) million of cap space to replace 48 goals and 146 points. And that's just replicating the offence from last year, neverminded improving the team enough to actually get into playoffs.

On top of that this team needs to upgrade the goalie position and ideally defense as well.

Im not normally a pessimist but without some big moves (or the young guns blowing everyone's socks off) I am expecting this team to take a step back next season.

Reactions: Holden Caufield

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I just have a hard time believing Red Wings are better walking into the season with the player at 15, our current goalies, over Markstrom is all.

Maybe hyperbolic to say he's not trying to win, but man, Yzermans WHOLE thought process has left me feeling rough since TDL. Can't believe a move wasn't made still and I had to watch guys like Zach Aston-Reese/Austin Czarnik down the stretch a tight playoff chase that was decided by a point/game.

Now if this offseason I have to watch the team sit on their hands and just resign some guys, I'm gonna flip. Mostly because I think it's underrated and not suggested enough that the Red Wings are actually losing talent with Sprong/Kane/Gostisbehere out the door. A HUGE step backwards can be made.
Let’s wait and see what they do this offseason.

Improving the blue line or the team overall could go a long way in helping make whoever we put in net look better.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This is what I find to be most concerning about the state of the team. After resigning Raymond and Seider this team will have 12-14(ish) million of cap space to replace 48 goals and 146 points. And that's just replicating the offence from last year, neverminded improving the team enough to actually get into playoffs.

On top of that this team needs to upgrade the goalie position and ideally defense as well.

Im not normally a pessimist but without some big moves (or the young guns blowing everyone's socks off) I am expecting this team to take a step back next season.
A lot of things could happen, I don’t know it does much good to worry or guess at this point.

The free agents could collectively tell us to piss off, or maybe we sign a Guentzel, or Montour, or a few guys from the next tier.

Maybe Yzerman swings a big trade out of nowhere.

Maybe some young players make the team and have an impact right off the bat.

Lots of different possibilities, you just have to let it play itself out.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
The goalie problem is a mind bender TBH.
There is no easy answer for the brass.

Free agent market is a disaster. In general there seems to be a huge lack of goaltending talent in the NHL. So even if they come available there will be fierce competition in acquiring them.

And there is nothing harder then getting rid of a bad goalie with a price tag… which we have saddled ourselves with.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Trading a 1st for a middle of the pack goalie. Trading anything of value for players that are not elite.

Not elite? Do you honestly think he has drafted an elite NHL player yet since being here?

My god...elite= top players in the game in the world for which we have drafted zero currently. I truly hope that changes, but if that's the expectation in trades.. that's unreasonable

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Should Yzerman have pounced on a package for Makrstrom?

1st next year and a young dman seems like a fair price. Especially with 30% retention on that Markstrom contract.

Definitely not. We aren't a contender and wasting a 1st on a 34 year old goalie makes no sense timeline wise.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Not elite? Do you honestly think he has drafted an elite NHL player yet since being here?

My god...elite= top players in the game in the world for which we have drafted zero currently. I truly hope that changes, but if that's the expectation in trades.. that's unreasonable
I consider Seider elite, but if you don't think that then sure no players.

I just look at Calgary who also gave up a ton of goals like us (We gave up 274 they gave up 271) and wonder how much of a upgrade would it really be with the current defense. I just don't see this ultimate turn around with him or a Gibson.

mark.png

lyon.png

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Definitely not. We aren't a contender and wasting a 1st on a 34 year old goalie makes no sense timeline wise.
Honest question, the 2025 draft will be SY 7th as the GM of the DRW.. if we pick top 15 again, is the Yzerplan still on track?

I consider Seider elite, but if you don't think that then sure no players.

I just look at Calgary who also gave up a ton of goals like us (We gave up 274 they gave up 271) and wonder how much of a upgrade would it really be with the current defense. I just don't see this ultimate turn around with him or a Gibson.

View attachment 884510
View attachment 884511

I think Seider is very good, but elite means you're at top of your craft/position. Seider isn't there yet...

No goalie is likely to turn around the defense on his own.. that's not the singular goal.. it's a step by step process forward. I would not give up pick #10 or 15 for Markstrom, but, we shouldn't be thinking that in 2025 that's where we will be picking.. if it is, well....

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Honest question, the 2025 draft will be SY 7th as the GM of the DRW.. if we puck top 15 again, is the Yzerplan still on track?

I think Seider is very good, but elite means you're at top of your craft/position. Seider isn't there yet...

How does spending good assets on a 34 year old make sense when the team is younger? He has maybe 2-4 seasons left, IF he plays well, why does giving up a 15th overall make sense? NJ gave up a much lower 1st then that.

Trading our 1st to upgrade makes sense, IF that player is fitting in with the timeline of the team. Spending a late 1st on a vet player is something you do when you are already winning and trying to stay winning. We aren't there yet for that.

If the price was lower than a 1st and good young player and Markstrom came at 50% retention then jump on it, otherwise not thanks.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
How does spending good assets on a 34 year old make sense when the team is younger? He has maybe 2-4 seasons left, IF he plays well, why does giving up a 15th overall make sense? NJ gave up a much lower 1st then that.

Trading our 1st to upgrade makes sense, IF that player is fitting in with the timeline of the team. Spending a late 1st on a vet player is something you do when you are already winning and trying to stay winning. We aren't there yet for that.

If the price was lower than a 1st and good young player and Markstrom came at 50% retention then jump on it, otherwise not thanks.
For the record I too would not move pick #15 in 2024, or any top 15 pick for a 34 y/o goalie...Fortunately, NJ said the exact same thing and moved a 2025 pick to which they're betting is between 20 and 32

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad