How do you fix the Wings?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Walman having a target on his back when we regularly ice Olli Maatta is interesting

We need more athleticism and mobility in our d group, not less
I care less about athleticism/mobility and more about defensive awareness. If the goal is to prevent goals against I prefer Olli to Walman.

Also side note, it's wild how few assists Walman gets. He's really just a shot as opposed to a fully formed puck mover.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Walman having a target on his back when we regularly ice Olli Maatta is interesting

I don't think it's a target on his back. The context of the conversation was being a partner to Seider.

In a perfect world Walman isn't playing 20 mins a night against the toughest competition is all. Whereas Maatta is playing 4 minutes less per game and easier minutes.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I don't think it's a target on his back. The context of the conversation was being a partner to Seider.

In a perfect world Walman isn't playing 20 mins a night against the toughest competition is all. Whereas Maatta is playing 4 minutes less per game and easier minutes.
I'd rather have Maatta play the harder minutes and Walman score in the easier minutes. Play to their strengths.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Maatta is absolutely fine as a 5-6 which is what he was deployed as. Not sure why Maatta gets so much flak here. He is a safe, reliable guy who can cover for bad D partners (ala Ghost).

Because he’s a black hole offensively that kills any offensive momentum when he’s on the ice by either dumping the puck to a corner for the opposition to retrieve safely, or he’s blasting it off their shin pads and causing a rush the other way. Maatta is also our slowest D by a mile and can’t defend on the rush.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Olli Maatta the offensive black hole with .273 ppg over the last 2 seasons and offensive dynamo Jake Walman with .309 ppg over the last 2 seasons with some PP time :laugh:

We need a couple players better than both.

Reactions: Oddbob

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Yeah and Petry had 23 even strength points to Mo's 24. Hell, Chiarot has 39 even strength points in those two years.

Just shows how shit our defense is and how much it's holding Mo back. I don't really get fighting for any of these guys not named Mo.
Yes, we need to replace 4 of them to be a serious team. That's not happening this summer, so the debate is more about ranking who should get yeeted off the roster first. Ease of movement is the only reason Maatta should top such a list.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
MIGHT... have been talked about, I haven't read back far.

Specifically, Seravalli wrote that Detroit is one of seven teams to have "closely followed" a possible trade—the others being Columbus, Calgary, Vancouver, Boston, Chicago, and Nashville.

Think 15th pick and Walman get it done?

Necas is a high-end scoring winger whose offensive talent was critical for a Carolina team that didn’t have a whole lot of firepower until the trade deadline. He did this for a Hurricanes team that prioritizes its defensive responsibilities more than trying to trade chances. For a Red Wings team in need of another top six winger and with machinations to become a better defensive team, Necas could check both boxes. But given his demands and his likely expensive contract, Necas might be priced too steep to make his acquisition possible for Detroit.

Haven't seen his contract demands, and even so is it worth it to just sign him anyways? Slide in Necas boot out Kane?

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
MIGHT... have been talked about, I haven't read back far.

Think 15th pick and Walman get it done?

Haven't seen his contract demands, and even so is it worth it to just sign him anyways? Slide in Necas boot out Kane?
I think he wants somebody to back up the brinks truck for him.

If I had to guess…. 9.5M x8 is his demand.

Maybe get him for 8.5 x8

Don’t think he’s worth much more than 6-7 range.

Very good complimentary player. Would instantly become one of our more skilled players, just personally don’t think a type of player like this is worth the term/$.

Would much rather sign Guentzel as a UFA and pay him the similar without giving up assets.

Reactions: flychairman

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
I'd try to give him a similar deal to DeBrincat, 4 years. If we have to pay him more because he is a 70-80 pt center, I don't think anyone would complain.

But if he just a 50-60 point winger, well adios.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'd try to give him a similar deal to DeBrincat, 4 years. If we have to pay him more because he is a 70-80 pt center, I don't think anyone would complain.

But if he just a 50-60 point winger, well adios.

He has 5 full seasons now at NHL and he has been winger at all of those.

Why making some false hopes, that he would miraculously turn to Center?

Martin Necas is a playmaking winger, kind of same player as Raymond, but probably lesser ceiling.

I don't mind having playmaking wingers, but this false hope for Center position has to stop.

Last edited:
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

Martin Necas is a playmaking winger, kind of same player as Raymond, but probably lesser ceiling.

I don't mind having playmaking wingers, but this false hope for Center position has to stop.
What position does Ras play?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Olli Maatta the offensive black hole with .273 ppg over the last 2 seasons and offensive dynamo Jake Walman with .309 ppg over the last 2 seasons with some PP time :laugh:

We need a couple players better than both.
How would you suggest we accomplish this?

Trade for someone like Chychrun?

Can’t really sign a UFA LD because then we’re gonna be overloaded at the position with Walman, Ed, UFA, Johansson

Unless you wanted to do something like sign Skjei then move Walman….?

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl

I think whoever gets him will give him a shot at center. I didn't say it would be guaranteed but what could it hurt to try? Can't be any worse than when we had to put Veleno at 2C.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

Can’t really sign a UFA LD because then we’re gonna be overloaded at the position with Walman, Ed, UFA, Johansson

Defend/retrieve and exit the zone better. Offense comes naturally even if not gifted just by virtue of not being hemmed in all game long. Ed and AlJo are top shelf transition kids.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

I don't think we're going to be able to get the ideal Seider partner and Edvinsson partner this offseason. I think we should go after Matt Roy to pair with Edvinsson this offseason, he'd be a big help in bringing him along and he's readily available. He will be a good player for our defensive structure and gives us some time to watch ASP develop.
Ideally we could move on from Holl to free up space on the blue line but I don't think that will be all that easy. Mo really needs help but idk how we can maneuver it. I expect musical chairs on the first pair Mo partner again.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I think whoever gets him will give him a shot at center. I didn't say it would be guaranteed but what could it hurt to try? Can't be any worse than when we had to put Veleno at 2C.
Martin Necas is not and never will be an NHL center. He's terrible at faceoffs and uses his speed with a mindset much closer to the "cherry pick for one more scoring chance" end of the spectrum than the "responsibly cover for my team mates" end.

I would have interest in Necas as a top six winger. Anybody using him as a center is asking for trouble.

So if he's asking for a trade with the understanding that the team acquiring him lets him play center, then I'm hanging up the phone.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"

Wallman did something down the stretch to land himself on the shit list. Yzerman will move him the second he finds an acceptable deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad