How do you fix the Wings?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Realistically we could trade Maatta for fourth round, but only if AJo could replace him

I’m confident Johansson could. He’s been very dependable in GR the last two years and his speed is something else. With how our D was getting beaten on the rush last year he’d be a huge positive add.

Reactions: TheOctopusKid

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Johansson will be the defense equivalent of Berggren being up full time. Both of them were absolute studs in their final years in the SHL, being key to each of their teams playoff runs after unbelievable regular play. Then they both came over to GR and quickly established themselves as the best and most consistent forward and defensemen on the Griffins. We're more familiar with Johnny because of his call ups, but Johansson would've been called last spring for a good look if he wasn't set back with an injury. It's no coincidence that all the Griffins point to Johansson as the best player on the team from the interview from the fall. The kid is a player, plays a super intelligent two-way game, solid on both ends, and he's just ... straight up under appreciated.

Johansson is stepping up to the Wings next year if for no other reason other than he's no longer waiver exempt along with Berggren. And we add in two 23 yr old, 2nd middle line players and provide great depth. Johansson plays both sides, but is a more natural LD, despite playing right side to Ed. The fact he could slot in on our third pair behind Walman and Ed is a huge luxury and all but guarantees that Maatta's time here needs to wind down (Walman, Chariot, Edvinsson, Johansson all LD, despite Chariot being on the RD).

Get excited for Johansson. He's going to be awesome up on the team

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
People probably won't like this but if we can straight up trade someone for Kontkaniemi like Husso, Petry, or maybe trade Maatta and maybe Carolina throws something in? His contract costs less than a million which is nothing in a rising cap if you buy it out and it's a gamble if he can bounce back even to 40ish points ... it's a good contract going forward. Not a lot of risk IMO

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
People probably won't like this but if we can straight up trade someone for Kontkaniemi like Husso, Petry, or maybe trade Maatta and maybe Carolina throws something in? His contract costs less than a million which is nothing in a rising cap if you buy it out and it's a gamble if he can bounce back even to 40ish points ... it's a good contract going forward. Not a lot of risk IMO

f*** no to KK. Dude has a 4.82 mil cap hit for Joe Veleno production. Until 2030.

Jesperi Kotkaniemi Contract, Cap Hit, Salary and Stats - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
I’ve noticed a trend with Defensive structures of Stanley cup teams.

The top pair usually always has an offensive superstar (ex Makar, Bouchard, Heiskenen, Hughes)

The 2nd pair has very underrated jack of all trades guys who are also physical (Zadorov, Pietrangelo, Esa Lindell, Josh Manson)

The 3rd pair has massive cheap dudes who play the body and eat pucks (Tanev, Eric Jobnson, Hakanpaa, Gudas, Ian Cole)

I hope ASP can be our Makar/Hughes offensive dynamo, would be huge for us going forward
I agree

We keep coming back to the cliche of "build out from the back end first" but it's so true. The game changes and gets so tight in the playoffs and sometimes I feel like people forget that. Teams like Toronto are phony juggernauts. Rely on fillers at D but can't out-score their way out of problems because some team is going to find a way to stop them and open the floodgates the other way

At least having an ASP if he fully develops running PP#1 we've got others to fall back on defensively at 5v5 and PK and not panic come playoff time

Another thing, it's a given about any one roster is that turnover is inevitable no matter how stocked your pipeline is at any position. Detroit in particular has many riches at defense and some players may become roster and/or cap casualties. Ideally, Detroit works it out and fits in as the top 6 as regulars;

Johansson - Seider
Edvinsson - ASP

Maybe Wallinder is the odd man out long term, and eventually a veteran guy (like a Matt Roy) is signed and fills in as a really good #5 shutdown guy. Then we aren't fishing so much at that position and more/less have an identity on defense

I think from there it allows Detroit to assess what works for them up front since our best forward long term is most likely Raymond if he ultimately surpasses Larkin. Lots of options who bring an array of valuable skillsets. I'm particularly intrigued in Kasper and Danielson long term as are the rest

Then we got two of the best goalie prospects in the world. Our time is coming

Last edited:

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
I agree

We keep coming back to the cliche of "build out from the back end first" but it's so true. The game changes and gets so tight in the playoffs and sometimes I feel like people forget that. Teams like Toronto are phony juggernauts. Rely on fillers at D but can't out-score their way out of problems because some team is going to find a way to stop them and open the floodgates the other way

At least having an ASP if he fully develops running PP#1 we've got others to fall back on defensively at 5v5 and PK and not panic come playoff time

Another thing, it's a given about any one roster is that turnover is inevitable no matter how stocked your pipeline is at any position. Detroit in particular has many riches at defense and some players may become roster and/or cap casualties. Ideally, Detroit works it out and fits in as the top 6 as regulars;

Johansson - Seider
Edvinsson - ASP

Maybe Wallinder is the odd man out long term, and eventually a veteran guy (like a Matt Roy) is signed and fills in as a really good #5 shutdown guy. Then we aren't fishing so much at that position and more/less have an identity on defense

I think from there it allows Detroit to assess what works for them up front since our best forward long term is most likely Raymond if he ultimately surpasses Larkin. Lots of options who bring an array of valuable skillsets. I'm particularly intrigued in Kasper and Danielson long term as are the rest

Then we got two of the best goalie prospects in the world. Our time is coming
We can’t forget the Legend Brady of Course lol

Edvinsson - Seider
Wallinder - ASP
Cleveland - Gibson

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
Brady Cleveland will somehow win the Norris, Lady Byng, Hart and Vezina before he makes his NHL debut lol

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Here's something I don't understand re offers and contracts and "PAY ME":

Let's pretend I'm Seider or Raymond. Explain to a simple (real me) why I couldn't just tell Steve "I love the Wings so much that I want the best for the franchise and I care about the next 10 years, not the next 1 year. So I will take 2M x 5Y to leave you guys room to keep Kane, Ghost, and buy lots of Beanie Babies for the rest of the team and STILL keep cap space to do Important Stuff."

I assume there are league minimums but the essence of my question remains the same - if I were a great young player bleeding Red, White, and Pizza Pizza! for true, COULD I sacrifice the NOW to help pay for the MAYBE?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

Let's pretend I'm Seider or Raymond. Explain to a simple (real me) why I couldn't just tell Steve "I love the Wings so much that I want the best for the franchise and I care about the next 10 years, not the next 1 year. So I will take 2M x 5Y to leave you guys room to keep Kane, Ghost, and buy lots of Beanie Babies for the rest of the team and STILL keep cap space to do Important Stuff."

I assume there are league minimums but the essence of my question remains the same - if I were a great young player bleeding Red, White, and Pizza Pizza! for true, COULD I sacrifice the NOW to help pay for the MAYBE?
You'd have the entirety of the Players' Association mightily pissed off at you. It's up to management to build a team around players. Giving up millions to make more money for billionaires is not high up on the PA's agenda.

That aside, not many players get to the level that Mo and Ray are at without an ironclad belief in themselves. That typically comes with a bit of pride of having their hard work repaid in kind. Players want to be paid what they are worth. And 22-23 year-olds coming off ELCs aren't the demographic that should be leaving anything on the table to help the cap situation. Don't squeeze the kids that haven't been paid the big money yet.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
You'd have the entirety of the Players' Association mightily pissed off at you. It's up to management to build a team around players. Giving up millions to make more money for billionaires is not high up on the PA's agenda.

That aside, not many players get to the level that Mo and Ray are at without an ironclad belief in themselves. That typically comes with a bit of pride of having their hard work repaid in kind. Players want to be paid what they are worth. And 22-23 year-olds coming off ELCs aren't the demographic that should be leaving anything on the table to help the cap situation. Don't squeeze the kids that haven't been paid the big money yet.
1) Thanks for the reply.
2) I think your reply is more of a "should" than a "could".

I get the "should". I am ignorant of the "could".

I also miss an excuse to post a silly meme or a piece of Plausible Keats doggeral.

And... premix Manhattans aren't terrible.

michael-whelan-1-princess-of-mars-original.jpg

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Not even the GM would allow that tbh.

Reactions: dalem177

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018

You definitely can/could do this. Your agent will be pissed because you cost him money.

Most these athletes have one or two shots at major pay-days... I know on an internet forum it sounds funny to argue between 10-64 million, but yeah... IRL this is a major deal. That's real money you left on the table and still might not ever win a single thing.

Idk if you have a wife or whatever yet but my GF would almost for sure skin me alive if I ever left 54 million on the table to "win" a sport. Even at the professional level.

So yeah, you can do something like that. Zadina this past season and his contract termination, leaving the money on the table to be a 1-year UFA... It cost him big and should be a good lesson for most young players. NEVER leave money on the table early. Most these guys are an injury away of not really being the same type of player. (*Andrew Copp*), Possibly Ville Husso.

In the end it's really illogical to ask anyone to pass up multiple million so they can win a Stanley cup.

Last edited:
Reactions: dalem177

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
if someone somehow wanted to win badly enough that they were willing to sacrifice that much money why would they not also ask for a trade to a better team?

Last edited:
Reactions: Snuggs

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
if someone somehow wanted to win badly enough that they were willing to sacrifice that much money why would they not also ask for a trade to a better team?
Obviously [insert random player from somewhere in the world who just happened to be drafted by Detroit] has always dreamt of being a Red Wing and can't see themselves playing for anyone else.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Bryan Rust, Cayden Primeau and Jacob Trouba will be traded to DET this offseason, thus completing the all Michigan starting lineup :sarcasm: :

Rust - Larkin - Debrincat
Petry - Trouba
Primeau

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

The other thing to be fearful of is that the league may get upset with you for cap circumvention if you ever were to work for the team after retirement. "You can be the best paid AGM in the league some day, so sign for cheap now" is something that would get stopped really quickly.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
What do we think chychurn would cost?

Walman, Berger, 15, and what else?

I think he would be perfect for our team
Hard pass. Walman may not have the offense, but he's a far sight more defensively capable. Chychrun would get caved in on the Wings in Walman's spot.

Chychrun is marginally better than Ghost, but I don't want Ghost back either.

And to add, that's way too much to give Ottawa for Chychrun.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing

These two stories doesn't make any sense, if Wings want Perron and Perron also wants to come back, then he is back. Berggren replaces Sprong and Danielson & Mazur goes to GR. Journalist is creating problems, what really isn't there.
Still, Yzerman may be willing to part with Jonatan Berggren, Marco Kasper, William Wallinder, or the 15th overall pick of the 2024 NHL Draft if the price is right.
Unless the price is Pettersson/Draisaitl, this is a complete lie.
Johansson’s play at the beginning of next year could conceivably allow the Red Wings to move Chiarot to the press box on most nights.
3rd biggest TOI in the team and in 6 months he's in press box, like that's going to happen.
One player not necessarily on the trade block but who could become available for Detroit this offseason at the right price is St. Louis Blues defenseman Scott Perunovich. Perunovich is a solid puck-moving defenseman who has accrued 23 assists in 73 career games for the Blues. The Red Wings could give Perunovich much more responsibility in a future role as he appears blocked from ever receiving top-four minutes in St. Louis.
Yzerman surely will be interested on 5'10'' & 174 lbs d-man and not like we are short of LHDs, only to acquire more.

Come to think that these guys gets paid writing this stuff.

• Haha
Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad