How do you fix the Wings?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I’ve noticed a trend with Defensive structures of Stanley cup teams.

The top pair usually always has an offensive superstar (ex Makar, Bouchard, Heiskenen, Hughes)

The 2nd pair has very underrated jack of all trades guys who are also physical (Zadorov, Pietrangelo, Esa Lindell, Josh Manson)

The 3rd pair has massive cheap dudes who play the body and eat pucks (Tanev, Eric Jobnson, Hakanpaa, Gudas, Ian Cole)

I hope ASP can be our Makar/Hughes offensive dynamo, would be huge for us going forward
I think Seider is and can be pretty comparable to Heiskanen.

As a matter of fact, pretty sure if you look at Heiskanen’s production through the amount of games Seider has played, Seider would have the better PPG.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

As a matter of fact, pretty sure if you look at Heiskanen’s production through the amount of games Seider has played, Seider would have the better PPG.
Think our offensive superstar from defence will finally be Sandin Pellikka. More point-scoring, Seider will be more shut-downas well as Edvinsson. All are important in the whole complex.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Think our offensive superstar from defence will finally be Sandin Pellikka. More point-scoring, Seider will be more shut-downas well as Edvinsson. All are important in the whole complex.
Maybe. I don’t think we are as desperate for it to happen as the poster I was quoting was suggesting, though.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020

Heiskanen didn't run the PP1 in Dallas until Klingberg left. Miro had 32 pp assists the season after Klingberg left. Only 19 this season which is what Seider had in his rookie year on PP1, though that Dallas team this year really spread their scoring wealth around. 9 players with 50+ points.

This is also why I'm totally fine with not re-signing Gostisbehere. I think Seider can replace Ghost's PP production (29 points) and someone like Edvinsson, or another free agent (who is more defensively stalwart than Ghost) can provide 10-15 points on PP2. I like Ghost, but he's a luxury and not a positive at even strength for the team.

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
Am i the only one who has a grin on their face every time Seider is on the ice? Dude isnt Lidström but hes a solid d-man and he will not going to be bullied, throws dudes around like ragdolls and he just turned 23. I dont give a f*** how much money this dude wants, give him all of it and more.

8x11 for Seider and its going to be a bargain, lets do it Steve.

(prolly will be 8x9 and Seider ragdolling Yzerman all over the practice rink)

Reactions: 13to40

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Heiskanen didn't run the PP1 in Dallas until Klingberg left. Miro had 32 pp assists the season after Klingberg left. Only 19 this season which is what Seider had in his rookie year on PP1, though that Dallas team this year really spread their scoring wealth around. 9 players with 50+ points.

This is also why I'm totally fine with not re-signing Gostisbehere. I think Seider can replace Ghost's PP production (29 points) and someone like Edvinsson, or another free agent (who is more defensively stalwart than Ghost) can provide 10-15 points on PP2. I like Ghost, but he's a luxury and not a positive at even strength for the team.
Agreed, and if we go the long term extension route then I would just put him right back on PP1 and tell him to go nuts. Think he would put together some 50 + pt seasons pretty easily in that case.

If ASP becomes a better option for the first unit, awesome. But I’d let the chips fall where they may and I think Seider has shown us he is very capable offensively.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Am i the only one who has a grin on their face every time Seider is on the ice? Dude isnt Lidström but hes a solid d-man and he will not going to be bullied, throws dudes around like ragdolls and he just turned 23. I dont give a f*** how much money this dude wants, give him all of it and more.

8x11 for Seider and its going to be a bargain, lets do it Steve.

(prolly will be 8x9 and Seider ragdolling Yzerman all over the practice rink)
You're definitely not the only one. I think once Edvinsson is up to speed enough to truly lighten Seider's load, he has franchise defenseman potential. Oddly, he shined most in his rookie year. That's not to say he's been bad since then but he just hasn't been as consistently flashy/noticeable. Once he's locked into a long-term deal, I'm sure he'll get more PP time and the league will take notice of the counting stats.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Agreed, and if we go the long term extension route then I would just put him right back on PP1 and tell him to go nuts. Think he would put together some 50 + pt seasons pretty easily in that case.

If ASP becomes a better option for the first unit, awesome. But I’d let the chips fall where they may and I think Seider has shown us he is very capable offensively.

I'm also for it. If ASP becomes the offensive ace that pushes Mo down the lineup that would only mean amazing things for the team.

Wait, wait...

We agree on something?!

giphy.gif

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
The other thing to be fearful of is that the league may get upset with you for cap circumvention if you ever were to work for the team after retirement. "You can be the best paid AGM in the league some day, so sign for cheap now" is something that would get stopped really quickly.
Ahh. Never thought of long-term. I like all these answers folks, thank you! Every day, in every way, I learn a little more about hockeyball.

(I still don't understand face-offs, though.)

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
I just glanced at the capfriendly numbers for next year and was alarmed to see that the Utah Utahs have exactly ZERO signed defensemen for next year. 3 RFAs, 2 UFAS.

Holl and Maatta for future considerations?

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
You're definitely not the only one. I think once Edvinsson is up to speed enough to truly lighten Seider's load, he has franchise defenseman potential. Oddly, he shined most in his rookie year. That's not to say he's been bad since then but he just hasn't been as consistently flashy/noticeable. Once he's locked into a long-term deal, I'm sure he'll get more PP time and the league will take notice of the counting stats.
Im so ready to see a huge German and a huge Swede on the Wings defense. Please please please let both of those guys reach the ceiling of their potential, because then it will be the best d-group in the league.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
“Still, Yzerman may be willing to part with Jonatan Berggren, Marco Kasper, William Wallinder, or the 15th overall pick of the 2024 NHL Draft if the price is right.”

Unless the price is Pettersson/Draisaitl, this is a complete lie.
I think you need to be a little more open minded.
I get that we can narrow in and become attached to Wings prospects, but there is a big world out there.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I get that we can narrow in and become attached to Wings prospects, but there is a big world out there.
While true, it is also true that of all our prospects Kasper is the one guy that most plays the way the bulk of Wing fans wish all our other players would play like.

Reactions: RRhoads

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
We can't fix anything until we get rid of Copp and Holl. Fabbri and Petry will be gone after this season, maybe trade Chiarot for second or something before season ends.
bring true first pair LD .
Get new goalie for GR, cose Cossa should be between Red Wings and GR, our #3 .
Too bad we didn't trade away Kane and Gost at the end of last season.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
They are building a team with certain identity, identity were Kasper fits like a glove. Why would Yzerman consider trading him 2 years after he was drafted, unless there is a bigger piece coming back? Especially when he is not a headcase like DeAngelo, on the contrary, a teamplayer to the core.

Just for the sake of conversation, what would you consider "the right price" as the article suggested?

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Still, Yzerman may be willing to part with Jonatan Berggren, Marco Kasper, William Wallinder, or the 15th overall pick of the 2024 NHL Draft if the price is right.

Think that 15th overall is definitely on the play, because that won't really help us in the Larkin-window. Especially because this 2024 is a weak class, so you most proably have to prepare for a slow development from your prospect.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
I'm not sure the Larkin window is even open anymore. Mantha, Bertuzzi, Svechnikov, Cholowski, Rasmussen, and Zadina turning out to be duds effectively slammed Larkin's window shut.

This team needs to be built to contend with the Seider, Raymond, Edvinsson, Cossa, Kasper, Danielson core in mind.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I'm not sure the Larkin window is even open anymore. Mantha, Bertuzzi, Svechnikov, Cholowski, Rasmussen, and Zadina turning out to be duds effectively slammed Larkin's window shut.

This team needs to be built to contend with the Seider, Raymond, Edvinsson, Cossa, Kasper, Danielson core in mind.
Dude has 7 years left on his deal. That brings Raymond and Seider to 29 and 30.

Reactions: raymond23

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
I'm not saying the Wings move on from Larkin, but rather by the time the Wings are legitimately contending, Larkin will be a complimentary piece. The window for Wings contending while Larkin is "the guy" or best player on the team is closed. That's where Yzerman has to pivot to (or, as I believe, he already has) in his long-term plans building the team.

Reactions: FMichael

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I'm not saying the Wings move on from Larkin, but rather by the time the Wings are legitimately contending, Larkin will be a complimentary piece. The window for Wings contending while Larkin is "the guy" or best player on the team is closed. That's where Yzerman has to pivot to (or, as I believe, he already has) in his long-term plans building the team.
Much as it closed for Yzerman. It took that next wave for Fedorov/Lidstrom/Konstantinov to come up and be the core around which you could build a contender.

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS

Keep in mind SY was what, 32 when they first won in his time. But, yes, they will be the ones to build around.

Edit: Note to self, read the whole thread before posting a reply :cool::rolleyes:

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Agreed - it’s why I don’t mind the idea of packaging this years 1st rounder to acquire a current roster player that may be the odd man out or someone that needs a change of zip/postal code.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Much as it closed for Yzerman. It took that next wave for Fedorov/Lidstrom/Konstantinov to come up and be the core around which you could build a contender.
That’s 1 helluva group to build around…
Keep in mind SY was what, 32 when they first won in his time. But, yes, they will be the ones to build around.

Edit: Note to self, read the whole thread before posting a reply :cool::rolleyes:
Yeah - will the guys you mentioned be anywhere near as good as to what Yzerman had while he played?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad