Kingston Frontenacs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 4)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
there are probably 5 goalies in the leauge that are 04s that are only in the league because of how bad the 05/06 goalies are overall in the ohl.

there are 5 goalies in the league right now that are 04s that are only in the league because how poor the 05/06 age group is in net.

really?the fact that hes even still in the league shows what they think.
Depends on how you look at it.....
Lalonde is not going to take Jet Greaves spot in Cleveland and would maybe play 15-20 games TOPS. - I don't know how close you guys follow AHL but he is top 3 in the league and almost on Yaroslav Askarov's level.
in 2025-2026 Greaves contract moves to a 1 way NHL contract and it opens Lalondes spot in Cleveland if he earns it.

What is better for his development? Playing 40 in the O possibly or playing 15 in the A?
The ECHL is not exactly the place players want to land. -i'd pick Kingston over Kalamazoo any day of the week.
Goalies are a different beast and also take a little more time and work.
No one is saying he's going to be the best goalie in the league but i wouldn't consider it an overpay by Kingston by any means.

@OMG67 was it not you that also said Guindon was a massive overpay too? he has looked exceptional in the 2 pre season games i live viewed.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Depends on how you look at it.....
Lalonde is not going to take Jet Greaves spot in Cleveland and would maybe play 15-20 games TOPS. - I don't know how close you guys follow AHL but he is top 3 in the league and almost on Yaroslav Askarov's level.
in 2025-2026 Greaves contract moves to a 1 way NHL contract and it opens Lalondes spot in Cleveland if he earns it.

What is better for his development? Playing 40 in the O possibly or playing 15 in the A?
The ECHL is not exactly the place players want to land. -i'd pick Kingston over Kalamazoo any day of the week.
Goalies are a different beast and also take a little more time and work.
No one is saying he's going to be the best goalie in the league but i wouldn't consider it an overpay by Kingston by any means.

I am of the opinion that Goalies should not have a restriction on AGE. I’d go as far as to say the goalies are fine at 20 and would be considered overage at 21. I think it takes that long for goalies to properly develop for pro hockey. BUT. That is a completely different conversation from whether Lalonde is a capable goalie right now. A player like Lalonde may still be a reasonable prospect but specifically because goalies are more a strange breed from a development curve perspective, that curve could be quite shallow depending on the player. In this specific case, Lalonde has not proven to be a capable starter (statistically) even on a good team last year in Saginaw.

I understand that certain situations create more favourable stats for goalies and vice-versa but I tend to look at it the same was as +/-. You should’ t look at it from a league wide perspective but you can look at it from an internal team perspective. When you have a goalie of his apparent calibre with weaker statistics than his crease partner (basically every year in the league), you have to question his capability.

If Lalonde were a 19 year old and not eating up a valuable OA roster spot, this conversation would likely be different.

@OMG67 was it not you that also said Guindon was a massive overpay too? he has looked exceptional in the 2 pre season games i live viewed.

I said it was a “deadline price.” Typically speaking, OA’s are much cheaper in the pre-season. I was surprised they paid a deadline price. HOWEVER, it seems most trades so far have been at a deadline price so in hindsight, the market adjusted and it is what it is.

My issue with Guindon is quite simple. HE regressed last year. He has never put up 1C numbers. A team looking to enter a “go for it” year should have a bonafide #1 centre. I don’t believe Kingston has that. So, considering their direct competitors are much better in the 1C, I question if he is the right player for the right situation. If they manage to nail down a player like Wakely and Guindon shifts to 2C, then it becomes a non-issue and a much better fit from my perspective.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
I am of the opinion that Goalies should not have a restriction on AGE. I’d go as far as to say the goalies are fine at 20 and would be considered overage at 21. I think it takes that long for goalies to properly develop for pro hockey. BUT. That is a completely different conversation from whether Lalonde is a capable goalie right now. A player like Lalonde may still be a reasonable prospect but specifically because goalies are more a strange breed from a development curve perspective, that curve could be quite shallow depending on the player. In this specific case, Lalonde has not proven to be a capable starter (statistically) even on a good team last year in Saginaw.

I understand that certain situations create more favourable stats for goalies and vice-versa but I tend to look at it the same was as +/-. You should’ t look at it from a league wide perspective but you can look at it from an internal team perspective. When you have a goalie of his apparent calibre with weaker statistics than his crease partner (basically every year in the league), you have to question his capability.

If Lalonde were a 19 year old and not eating up a valuable OA roster spot, this conversation would likely be different.

I said it was a “deadline price.” Typically speaking, OA’s are much cheaper in the pre-season. I was surprised they paid a deadline price. HOWEVER, it seems most trades so far have been at a deadline price so in hindsight, the market adjusted and it is what it is.

My issue with Guindon is quite simple. HE regressed last year. He has never put up 1C numbers. A team looking to enter a “go for it” year should have a bonafide #1 centre. I don’t believe Kingston has that. So, considering their direct competitors are much better in the 1C, I question if he is the right player for the right situation. If they manage to nail down a player like Wakely and Guindon shifts to 2C, then it becomes a non-issue and a much better fit from my perspective.
You mention +/- isn't really something you look at but that's really the only part of Guindons stat line that regressed.
He was on a weak team so +/- doesnt mean much as you mention.
Yes his pts were down a little bit but he was forced to play more a 2 way game on a pretty low end team.
Expect a similar picture from Luca Pinneli this season if he stays in ottawa.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I doubt there is a better centre than Guindon that could be had for 2,3,4,5 picks. I like value of Gardner more if there will be an OA year, but Guindon is the better player for this season imo.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Looks like everyone other than Ludwinski has been returned to Kingston as expected.

Was checking in on Burns and he got into a nice little scrap over the weekend against Dallas but also had two other minors. I have to imagine that's one of the biggest pieces of feedback the Blues will give him is to play physical but cut back on the undisciplined penalties.

I also noticed Wakely was returned to NB today - if Kingston is in on him I wonder if that move happens sooner rather than later.

On the whole Lalonde thing - I agree with the concern that an ideal world doesn't involve having an OA backup or even an OA in a 1A/1B tandem. If it doesn't work out, I really hope that Cooper has the stones to cut bait, especially with Lalonde being a local. BUT if it turns out that having a tandem allows them to get the most out of both Vaccari and Lalonde, then it's all worth it.

I've only seen the training camp scrimmages but Lalonde didn't impress me much - but that's a super small summer sample size.

Reactions: OMG67 and dirty12

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
You mention +/- isn't really something you look at but that's really the only part of Guindons stat line that regressed.
He was on a weak team so +/- doesnt mean much as you mention.
Yes his pts were down a little bit but he was forced to play more a 2 way game on a pretty low end team.
Expect a similar picture from Luca Pinneli this season if he stays in ottawa.

If you truly want to contend, you need players that match your goals. Guindon is not a 1C on a contending team. Not even close. He’d be a fine 2C. At the time of his acquisition, the fans were suggesting he will fill in nicely on the top line. Sorry but that won’t work. He has not demonstrated at any point in his junior career to be a 1C on a contending team. Last year he was an average 2C on a poor team. Expecting a leap forward from 2C on a poor team to 1C on a contending team is not realistic.

You have to remember that a lot of my comments are based on expectations and refuting others that are not realistic with their expectations. It is perspective based.

I am fine with Guindon as the 2C. He fits the mould of a 2C on a good team. That’s his spot and where he excels. IMO, it is incumbent on Kingston to add a bonafide 1C. The issue is whether they can add a bonafide 1C while also addressing their needs on defence and potentially in net if the gamble they are taking on Lalonde and Vaccari doesn’t work out.

With respect to regression, Guindon has had three seasons in the league:

2022: 30-29-59
2023: 22-47-69
2024: 26-31-57

His numbers over a 3-year period have remained static. I think when you have a 3-year sample size and the numbers over the three years are generally static, it isn’t realistic to expect a jump in numbers. HE tops out at around a PPG. Again, if a PPG 1C what this Fronts team needs? Do the Fronts have the depth of scoring over three lines that would produce eight 20 goals scorers from forwards?… 4 PPG guys where the scoring is relatively evenly distributed over three lines? If so, maybe you get away with Guindon being a 1A because they also have a 1B and 1C right behind him. But, I don’t see that.

The Fronts aren’t a team that will win games buy shutting down their opponents defensively. So, they are going to need to score at a bit of a higher clip because they will give up some goals.

So, it all comes down to perspective. As @dirty12 says, the cost isn’t all that bad in light of the shifting market but if you need a 1C, are you looking for the economical OA addition or are you in need of the bonafide 1C? What Kingston did here is no different than what Ottawa did at the deadline last year adding Maillet. No one is going to confuse Maillet with a 1C in a contender.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
If you truly want to contend, you need players that match your goals. Guindon is not a 1C on a contending team. Not even close. He’d be a fine 2C. At the time of his acquisition, the fans were suggesting he will fill in nicely on the top line. Sorry but that won’t work. He has not demonstrated at any point in his junior career to be a 1C on a contending team. Last year he was an average 2C on a poor team. Expecting a leap forward from 2C on a poor team to 1C on a contending team is not realistic.

You have to remember that a lot of my comments are based on expectations and refuting others that are not realistic with their expectations. It is perspective based.

I am fine with Guindon as the 2C. He fits the mould of a 2C on a good team. That’s his spot and where he excels. IMO, it is incumbent on Kingston to add a bonafide 1C. The issue is whether they can add a bonafide 1C while also addressing their needs on defence and potentially in net if the gamble they are taking on Lalonde and Vaccari doesn’t work out.

With respect to regression, Guindon has had three seasons in the league:

2022: 30-29-59
2023: 22-47-69
2024: 26-31-57

His numbers over a 3-year period have remained static. I think when you have a 3-year sample size and the numbers over the three years are generally static, it isn’t realistic to expect a jump in numbers. HE tops out at around a PPG. Again, if a PPG 1C what this Fronts team needs? Do the Fronts have the depth of scoring over three lines that would produce eight 20 goals scorers from forwards?… 4 PPG guys where the scoring is relatively evenly distributed over three lines? If so, maybe you get away with Guindon being a 1A because they also have a 1B and 1C right behind him. But, I don’t see that.

The Fronts aren’t a team that will win games buy shutting down their opponents defensively. So, they are going to need to score at a bit of a higher clip because they will give up some goals.

So, it all comes down to perspective. As @dirty12 says, the cost isn’t all that bad in light of the shifting market but if you need a 1C, are you looking for the economical OA addition or are you in need of the bonafide 1C? What Kingston did here is no different than what Ottawa did at the deadline last year adding Maillet. No one is going to confuse Maillet with a 1C in a contender.

Guidon is a heck of a lot better over all than Maillet imo. As far as point production goes, I’d say ~1.15 ppg for as long as he is on PP1.
I 100% that Guindon cannot be used as a true #1 centre. Kingston for now at least, will need to have McNamara lean on the likes Ritchie; and hope for the best, really. But they are not the only wannabe contender that cannot match scoring lines. Brampton is worse off than Kingston in that regard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad