How do you fix the Wings?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Much as it closed for Yzerman. It took that next wave for Fedorov/Lidstrom/Konstantinov to come up and be the core around which you could build a contender.
That’s 1 helluva group to build around…
Keep in mind SY was what, 32 when they first won in his time. But, yes, they will be the ones to build around.

Edit: Note to self, read the whole thread before posting a reply :cool::rolleyes:
Yeah - will the guys you mentioned be anywhere near as good as to what Yzerman

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I'm not saying the Wings move on from Larkin, but rather by the time the Wings are legitimately contending, Larkin will be a complimentary piece. The window for Wings contending while Larkin is "the guy" or best player on the team is closed. That's where Yzerman has to pivot to (or, as I believe, he already has) in his long-term plans building the team.
That's not what was said. Larkin won't be the best player on the team maybe even next year. The Larkin window is him being the captain and on the team.
Jamie Benn isn't the best player on the Stars, he's 34, you hope the players coming up push the team forward. I don't think we should trade 15 to attempt to contend next year then watch that player leave, but if you can trade 15 to bring in a player that's closer to Seider's age that will move the needle now and in the future you do it.

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

It's impossible to say anyone will be as good as those old Wings cores. They're already legends.

I don't see any reason to believe that Seider, Raymond and Larkin can't be legends in their own right. We'll see what happens as the team matures

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
That's not what was said. Larkin won't be the best player on the team maybe even next year. The Larkin window is him being the captain and on the team.
Jamie Benn isn't the best player on the Stars, he's 34, you hope the players coming up push the team forward. I don't think we should trade 15 to attempt to contend next year then watch that player leave, but if you can trade 15 to bring in a player that's closer to Seider's age that will move the needle now and in the future you do it.

What was said is the 15th OA is in play because any player taken with that pick won't help during Larkin's window. There's probably a disconnect in how "Larkin's Window" is being defined. My definition would of Larkin's window would be he and his contemporaries drafted around him drive the team to contention. That ship has sailed, as I pointed out previously, when all of the "core" players around him were moved.

While I don't mind at all trading the 15OA for a player to fit into the core, that potential core player isn't going to be Larkin's age. That player would be closer to Seider's age, hence Seider's (if you want to label it that) window.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Keep in mind SY was what, 32 when they first won in his time. But, yes, they will be the ones to build around.

Edit: Note to self, read the whole thread before posting a reply :cool::rolleyes:
Agree if Larks wins a cup with the Wings it will be when Ray, Seider, and Ed are in their primes not his. Its why we have to hope Danielson hits at a Larkin level or we can trade for a #1 center at some point. If things work out well I think that true contention windows opens when Seider is around 26/27, which puts Larkin at 30/31.

The 15 should definitely be on the table for a forward in that early 20s range. Ideally someone in between Larks and Ray. That helps build to that Seider window. Kasper only leaves if we are dealing for a MAJOR piece. Like if we were to deal for a Brady Tkachuk (very unlikely) type player or a high end center. You aren't trading him for a 20 goal winger, because he plays the exact type of game we wish a guy like Ras would play and is very valuable come playoff time. I think D could be addressed in UFA with someone like a Roy or Pesce, but I see very little offensively that interests me.

I think long term giving Seider a more defensively responsible partner will allow his physical and offensive game to flourish. He has had to cover too much for every partner he has had, and it takes away from his ability to roam offensively and size up any open ice hits. I think Aljo could be this guy in the future as he seems to play a really solid defensive game, and be Walman's replacement. He's never going to be a Hughes, Makar, or Hedman offensively but I think he could be a consistent 50 pt guy with a physical edge and solid defense. He just needs someone who is going to be the 1st guy back instead of him always being that guy. The guy he has always reminded me of stylistically is Vladdy, without the same level of meaness and more offensive instinct.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Definitely not. They don't need to be to win in the modern NHL.
While that might be - however I'm not so optimistic as others here regarding what 'quality' we currently have, or what's coming up within the next 2 to 4 years.

Making the playoffs would be huge (and I think we're close - depending on the roster and health of our guys), becoming a contender is something I don't see happening any time soon unfortunately.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
What was said is the 15th OA is in play because any player taken with that pick won't help during Larkin's window. There's probably a disconnect in how "Larkin's Window" is being defined. My definition would of Larkin's window would be he and his contemporaries drafted around him drive the team to contention. That ship has sailed, as I pointed out previously, when all of the "core" players around him were moved.

While I don't mind at all trading the 15OA for a player to fit into the core, that potential core player isn't going to be Larkin's age. That player would be closer to Seider's age, hence Seider's (if you want to label it that) window.
As unlikely it would be - this might be a time when Yzerman considers swinging a trade for someone like Marner...WE could certainly use him - however I have no idea what it would take, but I gather it'll be more than the 15th, Petry, and 1 doz Tim Hortons.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
As unlikely it would be - this might be a time when Yzerman considers swinging a trade for someone like Marner...WE could certainly use him - however I have no idea what it would take, but I gather it'll be more than the 15th, Petry, and 1 doz Tim Hortons.
MMMmmm, Tim Hortons....

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
TLJ.jpg

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Being a Canadian on the internet is an experience. In the context of HFBoards, this is a relatively even Canadian and American heavy website with a large "anti-everything about the other one" sentiment...which I understand because it's a hockey forum and that shouldn't really be unexpected

But despite all of that, for some insane reason, the one positive I read from Americans about Canada all the time, is a bunch of you seem to think that Tim Hortons is *actually good*. This is wild lol...TH has been hot garbo for years now.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Being a Canadian on the internet is an experience. In the context of HFBoards, this is a relatively even Canadian and American heavy website with a large "anti-everything about the other one" sentiment...which I understand because it's a hockey forum and that shouldn't really be unexpected

But despite all of that, for some insane reason, the one positive I read from Americans about Canada all the time, is a bunch of you seem to think that Tim Hortons is *actually good*. This is wild lol...TH has been hot garbo for years now.
I've had Tim Hortons a few times - good donuts - that's all I could ask for...I use TH as a reference since just about everyone in here knows about them...I could've used a rival brand such as Krispy Creme, but chances are many in here and across HF Boards may not be familiar with them.

Side note: maybe it's the Canadian TH that are taking a dump and the American TH are doing just fine?

Step it up Canaduhhhh!

:sarcasm:

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS

Not likely, but in a cap constrained NHL, they do not have to be, look at the Bolts as an example, is that crew as good as the old wings?

Reactions: FMichael

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Not likely, but in a cap constrained NHL, they do not have to be, look at the Bolts as an example, is that crew as good as the old wings?
I look at the Conference Finals...Detroit appears to be a ways off from those 4 teams we're watching now and I'm not sure if we'll be close anytime soon.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I've had Tim Hortons a few times - good donuts - that's all I could ask for...I use TH as a reference since just about everyone in here knows about them...I could've used a rival brand such as Krispy Creme, but chances are many in here and across HF Boards may not be familiar with them.

Side note: maybe it's the Canadian TH that are taking a dump and the American TH are doing just fine?

Step it up Canaduhhhh!

:sarcasm:

I think it's that American counterparts are Dunkin and Krispy Kreme, neither of which are half as good as Tim Horton's, imo - at least for their donuts. A box of timbits and an ice cap might put me into a coma, but it'll be a happy coma.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Yeah, Canadians crap all over Tims anymore. Me as a Canadian is sitting here drinking a Tim's coffee and it tastes fine. Tim's quality in Canada has dropped over the years since the Brazilian run RBI ( I believe company bought them).

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
I look at the Conference Finals...Detroit appears to be a ways off from those 4 teams we're watching now and I'm not sure if we'll be close anytime soon.
Looking at the SY Plug Expiry Plan and where the kids are at and due to come aboard, the wings are 3-4 years away from Conference Finals, but once there, they should have a fairly good run for a few years once they get close, but yes, they have a ways to go and need the kids and a few surprises (like Elmer or Finnie) from the later rounds too, as SY alluded to on one of his press conferences.

I have faith they will get there, I just hope I will be around long enough to see it! ;)

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Yeah, Canadians crap all over Tims anymore. Me as a Canadian is sitting here drinking a Tim's coffee and it tastes fine. Tim's quality in Canada has dropped over the years since the Brazilian run RBI ( I believe company bought them).
In Canada our options are essentially Tim's or boutique donut shops. So in comparison, Tim's looks like garbage. In the US, there's Dunkin Donuts and Krispy Kreme. So Timmies seems pretty good.

Reactions: Winger98 and Oddbob

dtown77

Dec 29, 2005
What's best case scenario this offseason? I still honestly believe the team could very well take a step back next season before taking steps forward the following season(s) The kids will be trickled in slowly but there will be growing pains with all of them. I don't see any of our prospects as hit the ground running. I just don't see any eye popping off season moves. Move off a few vets, bring up a kid or two and bring in a vet maybe.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
All I know is if Yzerman traded up for a player in the first round that would be very exciting for a draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad