How devastating is it losing a game 7 for the Stanley Cup?

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
I’d imagine it’s worse for fans of teams with no cups.
Teams with no cup have fanbases who never experienced what it is like to win before. Their minds are wired to accept defeat prior to any series. If I'm a Buffalo bills fan, I'd expect to lose in the superbowl. Look at the recent history vs the chiefs. Bills found a way to choke and mahomes finds a way to lead a comeback back to back years.

In 2011, a bunch of canuck fans told me prior to playing Boston, we never expected to be here. We will be happy even if we lose.

And we're the only team to ever lose in game 7, so it makes it even harder
I doubt you feel a thing. Look at the Sabres. They got jobbed by Brett hull's foot in the blue paint. Their only cup appearance. Nobody ever remembers that and if you talk to Sabres fans, they will be like, as expected, we never win a thing.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Teams with no cup have fanbases who never experienced what it is like to win before. Their minds are wired to accept defeat prior to any series. If I'm a Buffalo bills fan, I'd expect to lose in the superbowl. Look at the recent history vs the chiefs. Bills found a way to choke and mahomes finds a way to lead a comeback back to back years.

In 2011, a bunch of canuck fans told me prior to playing Boston, we never expected to be here. We will be happy even if we lose.

I doubt you feel a thing. Look at the Sabres. They got jobbed by Brett hull's foot in the blue paint. Their only cup appearance. Nobody ever remembers that and if you talk to Sabres fans, they will be like, as expected, we never win a thing.

It wasn't their only cup appearance, our cousins made it in 1975 - very quickly after being an expansion team. But just keep going this is hilarious.

I miss the days when EDM was hoping 1 of the 100 1st overall picks they got would finally work out.

Atleast we've gotten to game 7 without such overwhelming fortune being necessary.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
It depends. If you were the team that had no business being there, you’re happy. If you’re the favored team, the pain lasts over a decade. The worst situation was 1993 LA Kings.

Norwegianoiler

Nov 17, 2014
Indescribably horrific, no matter how the loss comes about. But imagine getting an early sweet lead, cruising, three or four goals up. Fans are dancing, confident. Dominating play. The other team's defeated, dejected, heads hanging on the bench. Just a period left. Let in a consolation goal mid-third. No worries. Another goal. Ah, but there's just a few minues left. Just play a penalty kill 5on5. An empty net goal will seal it, but no, they equalise. Overtime. You score. Elation. Video review shows infinitesmal offside or maybe not. Goal taken back. Get a massive chance to finish, top forward flubs it, they counter. They score a soft goal. I'd never watch sports again.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
This.

I still remember Lidstrom missing his chance at the dying seconds of game 7 in 09. However, in that series there wasn't a single point, where I was 100% sure that we were going to win.

Loosing after being 3-0 is a completely different story. A week ago I was pretty confident that Florida is winning it easily.

Funny way to say Fleury made a huge save.

heynowbababooey

Sep 29, 2017
I was devastated for about a week after the 03 Cup run. I knew our chances were slim but I was feeling pretty confident after the game 6 win, especially after the Kariya goal got everyone so pumped. I just remember sitting on the couch watching the time go down and desperately hoping for a goal that would never come. To this day I've never watched the highlights from that game (or any series ending game for that matter). Luckily the team bounced back quick and only 3 seasons later we got to celebrate in 07.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Whoever loses this particular game 7, it will be terribly painful for both teams....The Panthers on the verge of their first cup have now squandered a 3-0 lead......and for the Oilers, after their brilliant comeback to this point, anything less then the Cup would be heart breaking....

Reactions: D1az and Grigowski

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Terrible.

But losing a Game 7 after being up 3-0 in the series, which could happen tonight, will, and thats my honest take, top every single Game 7 final loss in history.

Florida is in for the worst choke-job in Stanely Cup history. Period.

It does not get any worst than being up 3-0 in a final and then getting "reversed sweeped", after losing the finals the year before too....

They better get their shit together (allthough the momentum is clearly in favor of Edmonton after how this series went).

Avs fans wouldn't know. Must suck, though.
100 % winning quote on this one. :DOnly played one of them, and boy, what a game with Ray Bourque finally lifting the cup in his last game....Handed over by Sakic.

But there are a ton of heartbreaking game 7 loss in a WCF......

Whoever loses this particular game 7, it will be terribly painful for both teams....The Panthers on the verge of their first cup have now squandered a 3-0 lead......and for the Oilers, after their brilliant comeback to this point, anything less then the Cup would be heart breaking....
Yeah, but i think if will be a worse nightmare for Florida because this will go down as biggest failure in Cup-history. No team ever before gave away a 3-0 lead and lose game 7 at home... In a Stanley-Cup final.

They better try everything to avoid this and win that damn thing. :skeptic:

Letsdothis

Jun 19, 2024
It isnt as painful for the canucks in 1994 and 2011 because they have never won a cup and have gone through many disappointments. So for a team like the canucks fans, their minds are wired to lose game 7s.
They have learnt to get satisfaction from the what-if game unlike any other fanbase I've ever seen. And unlike other fanbases that dwelve in the past, they are aggressively proud about that. It's like they convince themselves together about a narrative and then promptly pronounce themselves as the true champions and trash talk the actual winners. It's a staggering mentality.

Joseppi

Oct 12, 2008
Kepler-22b
2006 felt awful. The city rallied so hard behind the team and there was such a belief in them that it legitimately felt surreal, like a fevered dream. It was enough to make you physically sick to your stomach. It was unlike anything I've ever felt from any sort of entertainment.

Reactions: gretzkyoilers

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Oh it feels great. Aw shucks, you're just happy to be there.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Will suck for Florida because of the history attached. There will be regret about not getting it done the first three tries. But it won't ruin the franchise imo. They'll still be cup favorites next season.

Will suck for Edmonton because it will feel like everything (winning three straight) was for not. There will be regret about nit coming away with a win in games 1-3. Leaving zero margin for error. I can't say for certain they will be favorites in the west next season.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Will suck for Florida because of the history attached. There will be regret about not getting it done the first three tries. But it won't ruin the franchise imo. They'll still be cup favorites next season.

Will suck for Edmonton because it will feel like everything (winning three straight) was for not. There will be regret about nit coming away with a win in games 1-3. Leaving zero margin for error. I can't say for certain they will be favorites in the west next season.

Not necessarily. It’s very hard to get back to the cup final in back-to-back years, let alone in 3 straight. They are very unlikely to make it back for a 3rd straight time, historically. Even though Tampa just did it recently. But other than Tampa, when was the last time a team made it back-to-back-to-back SC finals? There are other good teams in the East poised to take their place as SC finalists.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I don't think it's that bad honestly

It sucks to lose - but I rather make it to game 7 then not, you know? There's 30 other teams who would love to be in your spot.

For Florida losing after going 0-3 would be quite bad though. Especially if game 7 is lopsided again

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad