Raptors Discussion: v97 Raptor's 2023-2024 Season complete - 19th and 31st overall picks

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Keep or Trade - Siakam

• Trade

Votes: 63 90.0%
  • Re-Sign

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
No love for Sasha?
Right now, I see:
IQ, Scottie, RJ, New starter, Jakub
Mitchell, Walter, Dick, Sasha, Olynyk
Agbaji Mogbo

TW: Shead, Chomche (if he doesn't play overseas this year), Carlson

If Chomche stays abroad to develop, then TO either keeps Carton or signs someone else.

Edit: Mogbo could also be a two-way candidate

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeywiz542

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Heading into yesterday, here were some of the issues from last year:

McDaniels didn't fit - traded (he's better than last year, but didn't work out)

PG depth - traded for Mitchell and drafted Shead (now have 3 guys who could theoretically become starters in the NBA some day)

Size - partially fixed with Sasha. Adding a starting PF and the Raps big depth will be good.

Brown - i think this problem is fixed. He's a 3 and D who Toronto asked to play PG. On a 2nd unit with guys like Mitchell, Dick, Walter, Sasha and Kelly, he can revert back to his game. That being said, I expect Toronto to either decline his option or use his contract in a sign and trade.

Perimeter D - added a D first PG, drafted a SG with plus potential, a PG who is reigning NCAA defensive player of the year and two other guys whose D are what makes their offense worth really developing.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
No love for Sasha?
Sorry, I feel like the answers you've received aren't complete.

Sasha could start for Toronto and that wouldn't be an issue.

The issue is that if Poetl gets hurt, Toronto's interior gets fugly in a hurry. Toronto needs a PF that can be good in the paint defensively. With Poetl, that dramatically improves Toronto's defense and going full stretch on a 2nd unit becomes a change of pace. Without Poetl and a strong D PF, Toronto would get destroyed by any team with multiple bigs that can play in close.

It's worth noting that Darko's setup is flexible by design so a higher priced PF doesn't necessarily stop Sasha from starting and it definitely does not mean he isnt going to get his chances.

Reactions: aingefan

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Sorry, I feel like the answers you've received aren't complete.

Sasha could start for Toronto and that wouldn't be an issue.

The issue is that if Poetl gets hurt, Toronto's interior gets fugly in a hurry. Toronto needs a PF that can be good in the paint defensively. With Poetl, that dramatically improves Toronto's defense and going full stretch on a 2nd unit becomes a change of pace. Without Poetl and a strong D PF, Toronto would get destroyed by any team with multiple bigs that can play in close.

It's worth noting that Darko's setup is flexible by design so a higher priced PF doesn't necessarily stop Sasha from starting and it definitely does not mean he isnt going to get his chances.
Good points.

Sasha could be a sleeper here. Big talent in Europe, can stretch the floor abit. Maybe Darko can squeeze more out of him. And if not, the team has the option next year.

Makes you wonder how much or why HolmesJr was or wasn’t considered at 19. He seemed like a good fit there.

Either way, the roster has much better shape today than it did yesterday. Low cost, low risk gambles on good contracts that will have some value down the line. And the depth guys all have some pedigree.

The result here is a pretty smart situation across the second unit, where there’s a potential succession plan in place at 4 spots between now and the start of next year.

Vezenkov at the 4, team option: Mogbo and Chomche - more of a 5 - developing.
Brown (expiring, if team option is picked up) and Agbaji at the 3, team option: Walter and Mogbo developing.
Dick at the 2, team option: he’s the one developing along with Walter.
PG Mitchell, team option: Shead developing.

Sounds from Webster like there’s plans to extend GTJ, which might provide a smaller ball starting five and push the guards down abit. But the emphasis was on the contract being smart and movable, so sounds like it’s part of the plan to keep building.

As it is, there’s a couple nice picks next year, tradable contracts in Brown, Boucher, Brown if he’s retained and maybe Sasha/Agbaji/Mitchell and GTJ if he’s extended.

I’m on board with looking for a 4/5 who can defend and stretch the floor abit as the next add. Either MLE or trade. Jalen Smith might be that guy.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
I wonder if Boucher will get traded. We added a lot of the same type of guy in the draft. Mogbo is literally Boucher but a lot better. Chomche is raw and like 3-4 years away but same thing. Tall, similar type of player. Poetl is here, Walker, Mogbo. Boucher’s 10 million should be shipped somewhere

Reactions: aingefan

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
Just learning a bit about Jonathan Mogbo and his background via her press conference. Dude seems like a crazy nice guy and we're finding out is Scottie's best bud. That probably explains a lot about the pick. Hope it works out. He definitely comes across as a good dude.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
This probably means re-upping GTJ too as a tradeable asset, and taking a swing at a 4/5 with the full MLE. Though it gets kinda close to tax levels if they don’t move off Boucher (for example)
Expiring: Brown, Boucher, Vezenkov (team option), Agbaji (team option), Mitchell (restricted), Dick (team option)
I don’t think they all get moved, obviously, but that’s up to 50 mil to play with. Not bad positioning.
Might mean plenty of 905 time for Walter and the second rounders this year.
And everybody is locked up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad