How are they doing now? (Former Sabres Players) Top 100 pics/stories

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

member 334057

Hasek may be the perfect person for the first episode of a podcast with this title.

I mean, that almost implies goalies aren't weird anymore.... Some of them are still pretty out there.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Axel Jonsson-Fjallby was returned to the AHL yesterday.

Played 8 games with the Caps. 0 goals, 1 assist, +1, playing 11:54 per game, almost all at even strength.

Reactions: dire wolf

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
http://www.calisportsnews.com/ex-nhler-john-blue-shares-his-journey-from-the-crease-to-the-church/
John Blue spent life as hockey goalie, then God called – Orange County Register

If you're thinking about the Sabres signing him he checks all the boxes except for one.
Old - he's 55
Hips - 2 artificial
Curses - BUZZ

Hockey legend Gordie Howe put it best.
“All hockey players are bilingual,” Howe said. “They know English and profanity.”
So if you choose to read on, be forewarned.
Despite Blue’s position as a man of God, 25 years of hockey has spoiled his vocabulary. He doesn’t curse like a sailor, he curses like a hockey player. For whatever reason, expletives have always been a part of the sport’s vernacular. Blue recalls Brian Sutter, who coached him in Boston, dropping 86 f-words in one speech (they counted).
In conversation, Blue will drop an f-bomb and catch himself. He genuinely has an inner conflict with it. It’s almost endearing.
“I’m working on it,” Blue said. “But some things won’t go.”

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Former Sabres draft pick Max Willman (5th round, 2014) scored his 2nd NHL goal tonight. His 1st was on December 10 against the VGK.

Reactions: Chainshot

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I think I know what is going on here. The Pegula's let Tim Murray be autonomous and he effed things up. So they decided to micromanage Botterill and they effed it up even more.

Botterill is clearly respected in other parts of the league.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
AFTER HOCKEY, LIFE WAS TOO DIFFICULT (Published 1982)
Larry Mickey's been dead for quite a few years but he deserves to be remembered. It's a sad story. Maybe someone reading will benefit from it.

''I wonder if he had just been normal, if he hadn't been a hockey player or an athlete,'' his widow, Lynda, said. ''They're brought up to be special. 'Hey, look at me.' It's easy for athletes - the girls all over you, you're the big star. But it's not easy once they take their skates off. It's a rude awakening.''
From talking with the people who knew him, it is clear that Larry Mickey grew up believing that if he worked hard at hockey, the rest would follow. He would be someone special.

Reactions: buffalowing88

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
AFTER HOCKEY, LIFE WAS TOO DIFFICULT (Published 1982)
Larry Mickey's been dead for quite a few years but he deserves to be remembered. It's a sad story. Maybe someone reading will benefit from it.

''I wonder if he had just been normal, if he hadn't been a hockey player or an athlete,'' his widow, Lynda, said. ''They're brought up to be special. 'Hey, look at me.' It's easy for athletes - the girls all over you, you're the big star. But it's not easy once they take their skates off. It's a rude awakening.''
From talking with the people who knew him, it is clear that Larry Mickey grew up believing that if he worked hard at hockey, the rest would follow. He would be someone special.

Sorta shitty quote from Floyd Smith in that piece. Jesus. If this happened three decades later it would have been national news. Poor guy.

Reactions: Dingo44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad