Red Sox/MLB Hot Stove Part 2: Lockout Edition - 6 games lost, 156 to go

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Over a long career his 162 game average was:

96 runs scored
102 RBI
25 homers
41 doubles
71 walks
.281 Batting average

Pretty good for gold glove third baseman.

Much better numbers than Brooks Robinson.

I’d be very interested in seeing where he would’ve ended up had he not gotten hurt towards the middle/end of his career. Guy was a great ball player

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
MLB network is showing Game 7 of 2004 ALCS. Joe Buck mentioned the NLCS game coming up. Clemens pitching against Suppan. Maybe I realized it at the time, but ex Sox pitchers.
Btw, Suppan kicked his butt. :)
I vaguely remember the Astros having the chance to close it out in 6 and the storyline being if they won Clemens would be lined up to start game 1 in either Fenway Park or Yankee Stadium, then Jim Edmonds did the thing and the Cardinals spoiled the party.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I don't think you can find a better explanation of Rolen's career and HOF candidacy than this one by Jay Jaffe.

JAWS and the 2022 Hall of Fame Ballot: Scott Rolen

Really lays out---without saying so---why some of us feel he's a guarantee but others don't. His bat was good, not great. He was consistently good but rarely great at the plate.

But his defense is what likely puts him over the top. When you look at his whole career he's better than the average enshrined third baseman.

For those who prefer a smaller Hall I think he falls shorts, but if we're going by the standards of the Hall as it is he should get in. He was a truly elite defender with a good bat that played for a long time.

(And while I don't know if he ever juiced, if he is as clean as his record and reputation indicates, he might have been even better in a non-steroid era.)

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Over a long career his 162 game average was:

96 runs scored
102 RBI
25 homers
41 doubles
71 walks
.281 Batting average

Pretty good for gold glove third baseman.

Much better numbers than Brooks Robinson.
Brooks Robinson played in a different era when baseball ruled the American sports landscape.

Brooks had that incredible 1964 MVP season which was basically an outlier but made him a household name.

The Orioles were very good back then in early to mid 60’s and he gained popularity with ‘the Robinson’s with Frank on the Orioles’ and on spectacular fielding teams

then the 1971 WS solidified his greatness with multiple fielding gems with 50 + M Americans viewing

he won multiple WS and by all accounts a wonderful person

Rolen outstanding just didn’t have that signature resume or spotlight but I can put him in

I’ve looked at Bergeron as basically the hockey version of Brooks Robinson for years

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Brooks Robinson played in a different era when baseball ruled the American sports landscape.

Brooks had that incredible 1964 MVP season which was basically an outlier but made him a household name.

The Orioles were very good back then in early to mid 60’s and he gained popularity with ‘the Robinson’s with Frank on the Orioles’ and on spectacular fielding teams

then the 1971 WS solidified his greatness with multiple fielding gems with 50 + M Americans viewing

he won multiple WS and by all accounts a wonderful person

Rolen outstanding just didn’t have that signature resume or spotlight but I can put him in

I’ve looked at Bergeron as basically the hockey version of Brooks Robinson for years

Had either Luis Aparicio or Mark Belanger next to him at SS, both exceptional fielders. Could cheat a little closer to the line. As a Sox fan, not sure if I ever saw a ball go through that side against those Orioles teams.

Also had Paul Blair in CF. Seemed to play short fielder, but could get to balls to the wall.

1972 they also had four 20 game-winners. Dave McNally (21-5), Pat Dobson (20-8), Jim Palmer (20-9) and Mike Cuellar (20-9).

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I completely forgot that Rolen went 0-15 in the 2004 World Series.

He had a pretty good 2006 WS though.

Reactions: CDJ

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Had either Luis Aparicio or Mark Belanger next to him at SS, both exceptional fielders. Could cheat a little closer to the line. As a Sox fan, not sure if I ever saw a ball go through that side against those Orioles teams.

Also had Paul Blair in CF. Seemed to play short fielder, but could get to balls to the wall.

1972 they also had four 20 game-winners. Dave McNally (21-5), Pat Dobson (20-8), Jim Palmer (20-9) and Mike Cuellar (20-9).
That pitching staff was the Braves before the Braves

I don’t know how they ever lost a series

24giovanni

Aug 2, 2005

24giovanni

Aug 2, 2005
Let's see if @DKH can figure out what I am talking about: Duncan, Belanger, Robinson and Blair all had rating as 1 in fielding?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad